Thornycroft pilot n°15 - Leader 1957 - 1/72

Hello guys,

my name is Tomas, I am 24 years old modeller from Czech republic and I would like to share with you one of my newest builds. Also I would like to apologize for my not perfect English, but I will do my best. 

Our story started in 1957 in Londons Chiswick where the pilot boat Leader made for company Trinity House has been launched. 

About Leader:

Leader is 21,43 m long and 4,58 m wide wooden boat which was build in 1957 as a pilot vessel by John Isaac Thornycroft & Company at Chiswick. It was originally fitted with 2 Rolls Royce engines, but now It is fitted with 2 Leyland diesels. Leader served out of Cowes and later at Southampton. When I decided to build Leader, I also decided to find where is the end of Leader. I was suprised, that Leader is not scraped, so journey could start. After southampton service for Trinity house, Leader was sold and has been on river Itchen until 2011. At this time It was repainted, interior was refited and Leader was sold somewhere.. I spend with this looking for Leader about 3 months (I was in touch with lot of people from Trinity House, british national museum, maritime museum, boathouse 4, but modeller Mr. Taylor from Southampon helped me the most) , but at this moment I am at the end of journey, because I have no chance to find it..

09.jpg?ver=0

08.jpg?ver=0

Why Leader?:

Leader is built by modellers in Czech republic so often and as RC boat, Its is absolutly amazing and It has no problem with waves or wind. Problem is, that Leader built here, is mostly built based on czech plans drawn in 1985, which are absolutly wrond. Hull of this remade model is angular and has only one motor. There are lot of different details and so on, so I decided to build my Leader based on polish plan from 1959 and comics picture.

Modelarz-asopis2.jpg?ver=0

Poster.jpg?ver=0

• Like 7

Gidday Tomas, the Leader appears a nicely balanced looking vessel, good luck with your model of it. She looks similar to a harbour defense launch I did a lot of naval reserve training on, with a similar internal lay-out. And don't worry about your English. I'm Australian so you probably speak it better than me! 😀 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

PART 01 - Hull:

My second build at this moment is HMCS Snowberry, so I though, that It will be so cute to have small vessel in same scale - and that is moment I made absolutly horrible and self killing decision. The scale is 1/72, so Leader will be 297 mm long and still radio controlled.

First of all I wanted to make Leader out of wood. I was so scared about Its weight, so I decided to make 3D model of It and just find out Its displacement tonnage. It was fun, when I find out, that Its something about 110 grams (as average package of ham). 😀

I talked about options with Mr. Mikulka from Slovakia, who is amazing modeller and hull maker and he offer me, that he can help me with it for free. So I printed whole hull on 3D printer, and send it to Slovakia. Mr. Mikulka gave me back amazing hull made out of carbon fiber, which is 27 grams!

Trup.jpg?ver=0

005.jpg?ver=0

020.jpg?ver=0

028.jpg?ver=0

34.jpg?ver=0

DSC_0973.jpg?ver=0

Edited by TomasBudweis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tomas, the Leader appears a nicely balanced looking vessel, good luck with your model of it. She looks similar to a harbour defense launch I did a lot of naval reserve training on, with a similar internal lay-out. And don't worry about your English. I'm Australian so you probably speak it better than me! 😀 Regards, Jeff.

Thank you for your reply! Thats what I honestly hope for. That somebody maybe was on Leader and took photo of him self there for example, because I dont have enough photos to make that perfect. 

PART 02 - Propellers, rudders and just things, which should move

This is second thing, where Mr. Mikulka helped me a lot. I dont have lathe, so Its pretty hard to make those things for me, but It is not impossible! 

Rudders are made out of glass fibre, stern tubes, propellers are made out of brass and tail shafts out of stainless steel. 

image3.jpg?ver=0

image2.jpg?ver=0

046.jpg?ver=0

• Like 6

PART 03 - Superstructures and wooden deck

Last reply for today, so don't be mad at me for spaming! 🙂

Superstructures are made out of glass fiber 0,3 mm, cut by my hand, glued together with super glue and then with epoxy glue. 

044.jpg?ver=0

6cff6527-05d8-465c-8920-54f22ba90a00.jpg

Wooden deck is stained wood sheet 0,3 mm. For drawing I used marker by Marver Uschida 0,01 mm, and hours and hours of time, because i couldn't use pencil and rubber, but this is an result!

AE660D4A-3C3D-42F8-BC8C-8B4D6872DF07.jpg

99B2A538-5631-4CE1-8157-3E8F131F5385.jpg

Edited by TomasBudweis
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

This is looking interesting

Beautiful lines as Jeff pointed out very like the HMDL hull form

Looking forward to seeing where this goes

Kev

8 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Terrific start on your build, Tomas.  :goodjob:

I'm looking forward to following along, as well.

John

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s a great subject and coming along beautifully. I take it that you a new here. Welcome aboard. 👍

Thank you a lot, I really appreciate it! 
That harbour defence motor launch looks great, but I promised my self, to not plan another build, because I have lot of things not done..

• Like 1

PART 04 - Chest with lock and hatches with tiny wing bolts

This part will be propably not that interesting, but maybe will help somebody a lot. Because of not so many photos, there are some details on Leader, I have no clue how they look like, or how they work. That's why I decided to take details from as similiar as possible ships from same age, and just try how It will looks like there. I am sure, that chest with inflatable boat and hatches were different on Leader, but those look great and hopefuly nobody will notice. 
There is nothing special on that chest and those hatches except wing bolts. I was wondering, how to make wing bolt in 1/72, because It should be approx less than milimetr small. So this is short manual how I made that, so maybe somebody will get inspired or somebody will teach me better way to do that. 

Spoiler

Those photos are taken by really good camera, through a magnifying glass, because It's so small, so sorry for quality of images..

This is how hatches should look like!

s.jpg?ver=0

Spoiler

I wrapped wire with diameter 0,2 mm around wire with diametr 0,3 mm.

57.jpg?ver=0

With really sharp scalpel I cut that "spring", and just straighten those "rings" with tweezer.

58.jpg?ver=0

I glued wire with diametr 0,3 into hole of hatch, than put on the ring, and glued up two wires of 0,5 mm lenght. 

59.jpg?ver=0

This is the result! (chest is approx 13 x 7 mm)

60.jpg?ver=0

• Like 10

On 07/10/2020 at 07:44, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tomas, is that a Yale padlock or a Chubb?  Only joking! That locker is exquisite, your technique very clever and the results very convincing. Regards, Jeff.

Haha! Maybe I will try to make there some small logo on that and I will let you guess! Just joking, It will be just blue. 

On 07/10/2020 at 08:44, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow! ‘Reveal hidden contents’ I have not seen that feature before.

Nice work.

It's great feature for not be boring! 😀

On 07/10/2020 at 08:53, Courageous said:

Great work of a little known vessel. Like the others have said, very impressive work on the hatch fixings.

Stuart

Thank you! I love it right because It's little known vessel!

• Like 3

PART 05 - Skylights

Another day, another detail! I have no photos of skylights, so I had to inspire with skylights of another ships and make It with same style like hatches and chest.

As always, I will add some photos of "How It's made", so dont forget to open hidden content!

I inspired my self at sails, especially with how skylight works. Important thing is, that Leader is work boat, not vacation boat, so I did those "glass covers" more massive. I am glad that I am still able to keep everything right in scale 1/72. Handles are made out of wire 0,5 mm (36 mm in 1/1), covers are made out of wire 0,3 mm (21 mm in 1/1).

03_2.jpg?ver=0

Spoiler

062.jpg?ver=0

064.jpg?ver=0

065.jpg?ver=0

And this is the result!

066_2.jpg?ver=0

Edited by TomasBudweis
  • Like 8

On 09/10/2020 at 11:10, longshanks said:

Beautiful clean work ....

Kev

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

On 09/10/2020 at 13:24, Iceman 29 said:

Nice job, Thornycroft hulls were used in a lot of pilot's stations in France. 

Thanks. Do you have some photos? I was loking for them, but didnt find anything.

On 09/10/2020 at 22:26, Courageous said:

I'd like to know, what was the process?

Stuart

Which process do you mean?

PART 06 - Vent scoop?
I have no clue how to properly call that, but I hope you will know.
I thing those rounded, especially tiny rounded things are the hardest things to do. I was thinking and thinking how to do those vents, but then Mr. Karej Majer (one of the greatest modellers from Czech republic) figured out the way how to do that. I just cut the shape of it and then I just grind that vent inside. It's not perfect, but you can't see that inside.

067-Pedloha.jpg?ver=0

Spoiler

From below (little bit cheating):

068.jpg?ver=0

067.jpg?ver=0

• Like 1

PART 07 - Radar surface search

The top of the radar is visible from photos, but Its base is one big unknown. So I took radar base from HMS Brave Bordere, which looks similiar, and combinated those two. I am really satisfied, because I think, It looks great. 

069-Pedloha1.jpg?ver=0

069-Pedloha2.jpg?ver=0

069_2.jpg?ver=0

070.jpg?ver=0

071.jpg?ver=0

PS: Do you guys think, that that coin is good to compare size of those details? Because I am not sure, If everybody can imagine size of that 1 euro cent (diametr is 16,25 mm). What should I use? Thanks!

Edited by TomasBudweis
  • Like 7

Gidday Tomas, that's a very good radar set. As for size comparison, I agree with Kev above. I think a ruler is best, pen tip, match stick, etc. I don't think coins are a good idea, as they can vary in size themselves. Being Australian I can only guess the size of the coin you've used here. Regards, Jeff.