Werner Von hofe's Bf 109F 2

Starfighter

Hi guys,

I'm building the Eduard BF 109F 2 as "White six " of 7/JG54 , as flown by Werner Von Hofe in Russia during 1942, and I'd like some info regarding  colour scheme. I believe this airplane was painted at unit level, and i have a picture of the camo pattern from a Montex Mask instruction sheet which tallies up with a photo of this machine, but there doesn't appear to be any stencilling on it, such as oxygen filler, etc. The photo is not the best quality, so I'm wondering if the factory stencils were painted over when the airplanes were painted " In the field " as it were ?

Any help would be gratefully received.  :cheers:

Spoiler

:cheers:

The JG 54 had converted from Bf 109F-2s to F-4s.

The "weiße 6" to which you refer was the machine of Uffz. Josef Brechtl.  (Fw. Brechtl went MIA 6.Jan. 1943 in Bf 109G-2  WNr.13666 “blaue 2” of the 7./JG 54, five km south of Velikiye-Luki, after aerial combat with Il-2s.  This Staffel used blue numbers on their snow-camouflaged aircraft.)

https://me109.info/display.php?from=site&lang=de&auth=e&name=ergebnis_suche&fotonummer=1978

Oblt. Werner Pichon Kalau vom Hofe* was Staffelkapitän of the 7./JG 54 from 1 Feb. until 25 Nov. 1942.  During this time he consistently flew "weiße 1" (two successive machines, after the first was lost in a forced-landing behind Russian lines on 26 Apr. 1942).  The pilot-ID on Falcon's site is incorrect; Wübke served as Pichon's replacement 2-27 Sept. 1942 (while Pichon was on leave), and the photos of "weiße 1" with "weiße 6" were taken 24.June 1942 at Uti, Finland when they were there on an overnight visit, having flown in from and back to Kotly.  Pichon had made his 20. claim on 15.June 1942

https://me109.info/display.php?from=site&lang=de&auth=e&name=ergebnis_suche&fotonummer=998

In early summer 1941 Pichon shot some 8mm 'home movies' in color before the start of the Soviet campaign, when he was Technical Officer on the Geschwader Stab, and there are gray, green and light brown areas on his Bf 109F-2 WNr.8235.  There are later color photos of Bf 109G-2s of the 7./JG 54, but I can not recall period color images of their F-4s.

JG 54 camouflage awaits a doctoral thesis, as there are already plenty of theories.

Good luck with your build, GRM

* correct spelling of Pichon's name is vom Hofe.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your very detailed reply, it's much appreciated, and nice to have some background info  on the pilots themselves. As " White 6 " was an F 4 and not an F2 I can use the deeper oil radiator , and not the smaller one as originally intended to depict a later F 2 with the rounded wheel wells. Luckily the kit I have is for an F 4 that includes both types of radiator, so I'm good to go. 

I know there's a lot of debate as to the actual camouflage colours, with the Airfix instructions for this kit ( Although I'm building the Eduard model ) and Montex masks stating the colours as RLM 70, 71 and 76, so that's what I'm going with. If it turns out later to be wrong then hey ho, I can live with that ! :cheers:

14 hours ago, Starfighter said:

but there doesn't appear to be any stencilling on it, such as oxygen filler, etc. The photo is not the best quality, so I'm wondering if the factory stencils were painted over when the airplanes were painted " In the field " as it were ?

It would seem to me the the JG 54 paintwork was applied in the field and covered up a lot of the stencilling. This was true for my build of Philipp's F-4, which is well photographed and shows only bare minimum stencilling re-applied over the greens, like the fuel triangle.

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

It would seem to me the the JG 54 paintwork was applied in the field and covered up a lot of the stencilling. This was true for my build of Philipp's F-4, which is well photographed and shows only bare minimum stencilling re-applied over the greens, like the fuel triangle.

That's just what I suspected. Vlad, so I shall put the bare minimum decals on when I get to that stage. :cheers: