Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

Ok so I openly, unashamedly make the following comment I LOVE MY TURRET πŸ™‚πŸ‘. The following couple of pics show the turret as it stands today and although it may not look like it there's a load of work gone into this already. I have to say for Β£32 delivered i think this kit as far as value for money is concerned will take some beating. I reckon i can have the turret completed tomorrow and I can't wait to see it πŸ€—Β 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

In case you hadn't already noticed im loving this build i can already hear the Tiger roaring in the distance πŸ™‚. I also received my Lucky varnish delivery today which was recommended to me by @M3talpigΒ so thanks Steve for your help πŸ‘. As always thanks for looking and I'll be back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

You might like this then

Β 

Β 

I do indeed i was kind of hoping they would let rip with a shell at that annoying drone at the beginning πŸ™‚. What a beast of a tank just imagine that popping up in a forest behind you wicked Steve thanks πŸ‘

15 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Wbsxdcm

Β 

What I have on 505...

superb pic's thanks for sharing much appreciated πŸ‘Β 

• Like 1

So I have another question about the build regarding the wheels.Β  I was wondering if the usual practice would be to join the two halves of each wheel before paint then prime each completed wheel, then paint camo scheme on outside face only, after the base colour of course. May sound trivial but if you don't ask.......πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

The wheels depend on what you think you can see or reach.Β 
I tend to build as much as possible, and have been known to build the wheels in sets, such as on my Tiger I, and the full bogey assembly on Sherman’s.Β 

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

The wheels depend on what you think you can see or reach.Β 
I tend to build as much as possible, and have been known to build the wheels in sets, such as on my Tiger I, and the full bogey assembly on Sherman’s.Β 

So would you paint the camo scheme on the inside and outside faces of each wheel then ?

Here’s a great pic for you, Andy !!

Β 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So would you paint the camo scheme on the inside and outside faces of each wheel then ?

Cano on just the outside.Β 
But that’s me :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Here’s a great pic for you, Andy !!

Β 

spacer.png

Cano on just the outside.Β 
But that’s me :D

I like that pic future build maybe?

You did see camo on wheels occasionally ....not overly common though ......i would stick to the base yellow or if doing a really late war vehicle (which you can't you have zim) then red oxide.

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

You did see camo on wheels occasionally ....not overly common though ......i would stick to the base yellow or if doing a really late war vehicle (which you can't you have zim) then red oxide.

Ok so as I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw are we saying no camo on either face of the wheels πŸ€”Β 

NEWSFLASH......I mentioned earlier that my armour stash count was nill. Well that just changed as my finger slipped (yes that old chestnut πŸ™„) and I've added No1 to the armour stash. Whether or not it's a wise choice i have no idea as it was an impulse buy. Well here's a pic of my new recruit i just hope I haven't bought a duff kit 😬

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

Oh and these bits and bobs came with it

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

Fingers crossed its a decent kit πŸ€žπŸ€”

Β 

• Like 6

It's a great kit, like something from Tamiya just really well detailed and goes together faultlessly. Apart from.....well, the tracks require a good degree of patience...:wacko: but do work!

How soon I'll have it finished is anyones guess as the Panther GB startsΒ today but its painted, gloss coated, decaled and sealed ready for initial weathering prior to whitewashing.Β 

Β 

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

Ok so as I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw are we saying no camo on either face of the wheels πŸ€”Β 

Think of it this way....camo would beΒ the last stage in the factory... if it was camo painted at all in the factory.....M.A.N Panthers were camo painted in factory for instance....... but as far as i know Tigers were delivered in base colour to their units and it was down to them to camo them with RAL colours that were allocated to them for that purpose..... in short some did most didn't....what decals are you doing and what paint scheme

Β 

here is proof some did

Β 

Β spacer.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

NEWSFLASH......I mentioned earlier that my armour stash count was nill. Well that just changed as my finger slipped (yes that old chestnut πŸ™„) and I've added No1 to the armour stash. Whether or not it's a wise choice i have no idea as it was an impulse buy. Well here's a pic of my new recruit i just hope I haven't bought a duff kit 😬

Β 

Β 

Β 

Oh and these bits and bobs came with it

Β 

Fingers crossed its a decent kit πŸ€žπŸ€”

Β 

I have the same kit.... but by Asuka.Β 

The Meng one should be just as good.Β 

Edited by Longbow

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

I have the same kit.... but by Asuka.Β 

The Meng one should be just as good.Β 

The Meng and Asuka/tasca are different kits, not same kit different box!

Some of the most obvious differences glancing in the box are rubberΒ tracks and a flat pack approach to the hull, at least in the M4A1.

Β 

The Asuka certainly was the best available Sherman in its day and if it goes together as it should then I'd say the Meng and Asuka are pretty much equal.Β 

Β 

As for your camo wheels,Β unless you have a pic of the vehicle in question I'd suggest paint all the base colour, probably dunklegelb, thenΒ if you wish to add camo then just to the outer most set.

Unless it was factory applied the crew was generally left to there own devices to add camouflage in whatever manner they chose.

Β 

Atb

DarrylΒ 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Think of it this way....camo would beΒ the last stage in the factory... if it was camo painted at all in the factory.....M.A.N Panthers were camo painted in factory for instance....... but as far as i know Tigers were delivered in base colour to their units and it was down to them to camo them with RAL colours that were allocated to them for that purpose..... in short some did most didn't....what decals are you doing and what paint scheme

Β 

here is proof some did

Β 

Β spacer.png

So here's a pic of the kit instructions for the paint scheme'sΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

If I'm honest I like the scheme on the left but I'm not sure i can pull it off so I will probably go for the easier option shown on the right πŸ™„. Either way I'm going to apply a camo scheme to the wheels purely as I think this will give me some much needed practice for tackling the larger areas on the rest of the tank. Right time to finish off the turret and make a start on the wheels πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

It's a great kit, like something from Tamiya just really well detailed and goes together faultlessly. Apart from.....well, the tracks require a good degree of patience...:wacko: but do work!

How soon I'll have it finished is anyones guess as the Panther GB startsΒ today but its painted, gloss coated, decaled and sealed ready for initial weathering prior to whitewashing.Β 

Β 

Good luck

Thanks Darryl, tbh if I'd known about the tracks I may not have bought the kit πŸ€”. However having given this some thought I've decided to hell with it I'll give it a go and see what happens πŸ˜‰πŸ€ž. The Meng kit is a stash filler tbh as I still plan to build Tamiyas Jagdtiger next which reminds me I have shopping to do πŸ™‚

• Like 1

So today's update and the turret is complete and I've built up the road wheels and dry fitted them to the lower hull. All seems to fit good but I've hit a snag regarding the track jig supplied with the kit πŸ€”. If anyone out there has used the jigs and can provide me a guide of exactly how they work i would appreciate it as I've spent a lot of time looking at these parts today and I'm still none the wiser πŸ™„. Here's a few pic's of today's progressΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

Hopefully tomorrow i can tackle the tracks if i can figure out how to use the damn jig πŸ˜’. As always thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 8

If it’s the sort I think it is, you put the idler and sprocket wheels on the jig then glue the tracks to each other using the jig as the guide and starting at the sprocketΒ (if you can, for ease of painting, try not to get the glue on the wheels),Β so when you’re done with the jig you slide the whole lot of and you can separate the wheels for easy painting later.

Β 

You should be able to see from the below:

Β 

Β 

Edited by SimonT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SimonT said:

If it’s the sort I think it is, you put the idler and sprocket wheels on the jig then glue the tracks to each other (if you can, for ease of painting, try not to get the glue on the wheels, so when you’re done with the jig you slide the whole lot of and you can separate the wheels for easy painting later.

Β 

You should be able to see from the below:

Β 

Β 

Thanks Simon I've already viewed this video but the guy doesn't show actually using the jig he simply attaches the sprocket and the idler and then the completed tracks appear. I think the idea is to glue the tracks together and then use the jig as a former not sure guess I'll find out tomorrow πŸ™‚

• Like 1