Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

Just now, Andy J said:

With hindsight i probably should have chosen something a little bit easier for a first build however I've started so I'll finish im determined to get this one over the line 🙂

Nahh, You'll be fine Andy, make that learning curve an Everest curve and none of this simple kit malarkey! It's best to push yourself from the start mate, before you know it you'll be scratch

building extra details and modifying figures in no time at all with a few of these types of kit under your belt. Enjoy it . 

Dan 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

With hindsight i probably should have chosen something a little bit easier

What are the tracks like Andy? If they're single links I'd have run away and hid....!! :) 

It's coming on well though, just remember you won't need to 2K it.....!! :whistle:

Keith

13 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well you are starting very well indeed ...nice clean build which will make the final finish so much easier

and as for the excuses........:bleh: you can do better than that ......your starting to sound like @Bullbasket with his "it's in transit between countries" malarky :D

Thanks Steve im having a good time with this build and I'm also surprised how big this tank is at this scale. I've left all the clear parts off for the time being as I wasn't sure when to fit them regarding painting however I'm thinking about fitting them in place and then masking them off until the paint is finished. Am I missing a trick here 🤔 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dads203 said:

Nahh, You'll be fine Andy, make that learning curve an Everest curve

Agree with Dan ....deep end then when you get something else later down the line you will already be prepared and have a good idea where your going before you ever turn a page of the instruction sheet

3 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

malarkey

OI that's my word :D

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

What are the clear parts for Andy ?

I think they are periscopes maybe? There are a couple on the main hull where the driver sits? And a few around the main hatch on the turret. Don't know the correct terminology Steve sorry 🙄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Looking good !! The fit and detail look to be very nice ! 

Are you going to black base it ?

If you're referring to primer well I have an experiment in mind. Basically I'm going to use three colours grey, black and white and see if I can create a kind of shade difference for when I apply the basecoat. A kind of pre shading if you like. Not sure how it will turn out but worth a try imo 🙂👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Nahh, You'll be fine Andy, make that learning curve an Everest curve and none of this simple kit malarkey! It's best to push yourself from the start mate, before you know it you'll be scratch

building extra details and modifying figures in no time at all with a few of these types of kit under your belt. Enjoy it . 

Dan 

Good point Dan as for extra detailing well never say never however this kit has more than enough for the time being. I've been looking at other Das Werk kits and I think i may try one of there Panthers as they seem to do a few of them 🤔 

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What are the tracks like Andy? If they're single links I'd have run away and hid....!! :) 

It's coming on well though, just remember you won't need to 2K it.....!! :whistle:

Keith

Hi Keith, the tracks are made up of single links and lengths already fixed together one of the easier types to build i think. You're comment about 2k is quite interesting mate because I ain't gonna miss all the toxic stuff I've been using on the car builds 🙂👍. Infact I'm going all environmentally friendly 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Don't show Steve this next pic.... We won't hear from him for a week, as he starts to put glue on plastic. 

So that's the euphemism of choice is it....

• Haha 4

That's a really nice clean build you've got going on here Andy, sure it'll work out great.

The Das Werk Panther like the KT is Takom, so it'll be good build, the Stug they do is Dragon which will probably be slightly more challenging. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

That's a really nice clean build you've got going on here Andy, sure it'll work out great.

The Das Werk Panther like the KT is Takom, so it'll be good build, the Stug they do is Dragon which will probably be slightly more challenging. 

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks for the information Darryl the Panther would seem a wise choice then 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

I think they are periscopes maybe? There are a couple on the main hull where the driver sits? And a few around the main hatch on the turret. Don't know the correct terminology Steve sorry

Yep periscopes ......... just don't do what i did and realise as your nearing the end of the build that you now can't fit said parts because you glued something and now are unable to get access to the area to glue the parts you left till last.......had to cut the floor out of the jagd to fit the periscope....even people who have done this a lot still make school boy errors........just saying :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

Yep periscopes ......... just don't do what i did and realise as your nearing the end of the build that you now can't fit said parts because you glued something and now are unable to get access to the area to glue the parts you left till last.......had to cut the floor out of the jagd to fit the periscope....even people who have done this a lot still make school boy errors........just saying :D

Duly noted Steve in your case it didn't spoil what turned out to be a fantastic build 🙂👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the information Darryl the Panther would seem a wise choice then 🤔

I have the Panther and it's really nice but I doesn't come with zimmerit. Therefore it's either make your own or purchase an after market set which can be pricey (£20 approx).

So today's update is very brief due to limited bench time 😔. However I have added the spare track brackets to the turret, at least I think that's what they are 🤔 i suppose they could be brackets for hanging baskets for camouflage maybe 🙄 This was a fiddly job to say the least and I'm really not used to this level of detail but there in place now and im happy with them 🙂. Here's a couple of pics of progress today 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other thing i thought about was adding a figure to the build but sadly Das Werk didn't supply one 😕. So this meant i needed to get creative 🙂. Having searched the spares box to no avail i had an idea and finally found what I'd been looking for. The following pic shows my tank commander figure in very rough order however I think he has potential. Oh and for those who like to decapitate their figures this guy is perfect, one gentle pull and the head comes off like a good un 👍 

spacer.png

As always thanks for looking and I'll be back soon 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

That's a big spanner (no not you Andy, the one the little guy is holding!) 🤣

Keith

That's all right Keith I've been called a lot worse 🙂

• Haha 4

So I know I'm nowhere near finished with this build but I've already decided what I would like to build next 🙂. A Jagdtiger 👍. So my question is which would be the best kit to buy 🤔 as I don't want to buy one where people say oooh the tracks are wrong, the main hull is wrong etc. I understand that the "perfect kit " may not exist but maybe there's one that stands out above the rest 🤔 oh and 1/35 scale please 🙂👍

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Andy J said:

A Jagdtiger 👍. So my question is which would be the best kit to buy

I would say go with the Tamiya kit......the Takom kit i used was very nice but some parts fit and finish was questionable at best ........ you simply won't have that problem with a Tamiya kit. 

Things get really slippery when you're thinkin about Sherman's so many Sherman kits are just plain wrong (strangely early Tamiya ) so ask some of the Sherman guru's @Bullbasket seems to know his stuff and @Das Abteilung really is hip deep in the knowledge and will always give good guidance not only on the real vehicles but he has very good knowledge on the kits too. 

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I would say go with the Tamiya kit......the Takom kit i used was very nice but some parts fit and finish was questionable at best ........ you simply won't have that problem with a Tamiya kit. 

Things get really slippery when you're thinkin about Sherman's so many Sherman kits are just plain wrong (strangely early Tamiya ) so ask some of the Sherman guru's @Bullbasket seems to know his stuff and @Das Abteilung really is hip deep in the knowledge and will always give good guidance not only on the real vehicles but he has very good knowledge on the kits too. 

Thanks Steve the Tamiya Jagdtiger it is then 👍. Like I say i have loads to do on the current build but my armour stash count atm is nil ,so I need to put that right 🙂👍

• Like 1

Turret looks great, the hooks are most definitely as you rightly mentioned for the hanging baskets.  Factory supplied ones are metal (usually, depends upon manufacturer), the field replacements where generally either wicker or compressed paper.

I like how you managed to get Steve @M3talpig to pose as the tank commander in your final photo, you must really have the dirt on him!👌😉

• Haha 6