Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

10 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

nice work so far.. you will soon have 5 kits on the go in various states of build/paint/weather - and then get distracted by theΒ 

Β 

squirrel

Β 

Β 

next kit you want to build

Not sure about 5 kits on the go but I have zero kits in the armour stash and that has to change πŸ™‚. Thing is there's so many kits available and so many manufacturers it's almost impossible to choose one πŸ€”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Great mig lucky varnish it is πŸ‘. Would i be right in thinking that i should use a gloss coat before weathering and then a matt coat over everything to finish off the build?

This is as you say personal preference....for a lot of people they like the gloss coat to apply waterslide decals ...helps to hide the film and promotes adhesion...also some like to do there panel lining over gloss as it can help to eliminate the bleeding effect that can occur on a matt surface.

And has to be said this way of working does indeed make these processes easier.

I don't use this method i go straight to the matt coat but this has drawbacks ..you can if the decals are not trimmed properly end up with silvering, not very attractive, and when working with wash and panel liner and oil paint if your not very careful the bleeding effect can end up with your panel lining looking very messy...i use two brushes when working on a matt finish one to apply filter, panel liner, wash and the other dampened with thinner to clean the bleed before moving on. Takes a little skill and patience doing it this way but i prefer the results and like the idea of at least one less coat of paint.

Honestly as this is your first military subject it's down to you but i would stick with the first option until your comfortable with a method you have worked on to weather .....we all do it differently.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

I just gloss varnish and slap the wash on :D

Β 

Then once everything is done, I shoot it with AK One Shot clear primer.Β 

Not sure I'd advise covering all with one shot primer after going to the effort of painting and weathering!

Perhaps One Shot matt coat....

Then again with Lee, who knows!

Β 

I tend to cheat and use HalfordsΒ rattle can clear as a gloss coat prior to decals then another clear coat to seal prior to weathering and then a matt coat.

I really would suggest decals prior to weathering,Β  you sometimes see some that have been weathered and then decalled and the decals stand out like a sore thumb!

Β 

Atb

DarrylΒ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Not sure I'd advise covering all with one shot primer after going to the effort of painting and weathering!

Perhaps One Shot matt coat....

Then again with Lee, who knows!

Β 

I tend to cheat and use HalfordsΒ rattle can clear as a gloss coat prior to decals then another clear coat to seal prior to weathering and then a matt coat.

I really would suggest decals prior to weathering,Β  you sometimes see some that have been weathered and then decalled and the decals stand out like a sore thumb!

Β 

Atb

DarrylΒ 

I love AK One Shot clear, bud, it sprays like a dream, starts off with a slight satin sheen, and then dulls down real fast.Β 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, M3talpig said:

This is as you say personal preference....for a lot of people they like the gloss coat to apply waterslide decals ...helps to hide the film and promotes adhesion...also some like to do there panel lining over gloss as it can help to eliminate the bleeding effect that can occur on a matt surface.

And has to be said this way of working does indeed make these processes easier.

I don't use this method i go straight to the matt coat but this has drawbacks ..you can if the decals are not trimmed properly end up with silvering, not very attractive, and when working with wash and panel liner and oil paint if your not very careful the bleeding effect can end up with your panel lining looking very messy...i use two brushes when working on a matt finish one to apply filter, panel liner, wash and the other dampened with thinner to clean the bleed before moving on. Takes a little skill and patience doing it this way but i prefer the results and like the idea of at least one less coat of paint.

Honestly as this is your first military subject it's down to you but i would stick with the first option until your comfortable with a method you have worked on to weather .....we all do it differently.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Steve and I agree that for now at least I will stick to the more simple approach of gloss then matt varnish. I've ordered the mig lucky varnish and it should land by the end of the week at least that way I won't be hanging around waiting for supplies πŸ™‚ πŸ‘

• Like 1

Hey, Andy... I'm looking at pix of the Takom kit, and that Zimmerit edge looks far too uniform on the turret sides.Β 

You may want to bevel and chip the edges on that a little, in the square where the charging knight emblem goes.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 3

Ok so I have climbed into the turret, battened down the hatches, fired up the engine and I'm ready to rumble πŸ™‚. Or I could have just said I'm about to start today's session πŸ™„. Sorry I'm a little excited about this build atm πŸ™ƒπŸ˜œπŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Hey, Andy... I'm looking at pix of the Takom kit, and that Zimmerit edge looks far too uniform on the turret sides.Β 

You may want to bevel and chip the edges on that a little, in the square where the charging knight emblem goes.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Good point thanks for that I'll have a play with that area when the time comes πŸ‘Β 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Don't show Steve this next pic.... We won't hear from him for a week, as he starts to put glue on plastic.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

spacer.png

If only the pic's were in colour what a superb reference they would make πŸ™‚

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Well, I hear Steve has some color pencils, and can stay within the lines..... Sometimes.... :D

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘excellent can't wait to read his reply to that πŸ˜‚πŸ‘Β Oh and when I chip the zimmeret I'll probably make a mess so any chance I can borrow your new vacuum cleaner πŸ€”

• Haha 3

Hey Andy, I'll be following your first steps into AFV building mate. I once did a small scale Scammel and Cromwell combi but other than that I'm a newbie like you.Β I have an M26 Pershing in the stash which I would like to build at some point. Already seen some sound advice here πŸ™‚Β 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Hey Andy, I'll be following your first steps into AFV building mate. I once did a small scale Scammel and Cromwell combi but other than that I'm a newbie like you.Β I have an M26 Pershing in the stash which I would like to build at some point. Already seen some sound advice here πŸ™‚Β 

Great to have you along Jeroen, and if like me you need sound advice and guidance then this is definitely the place to be. The combination of advice and banter makes learning new techniques great fun im loving it πŸ˜€ πŸ‘

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andy J said:

The combination of advice and banter makes learning new techniques great fun im loving it πŸ˜€ πŸ‘

Wot, banter?? Doesn't sound like you at all...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Wot, banter?? Doesn't sound like you at all...

It's all about adapting to your surroundings mate, when in Rome and all that πŸ˜‰πŸ‘Whatever the case I'm planted here now I've dug myself a bunker and I'm settling in πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Excellent. Soooo... when do we get to see something? All this banter is distracting you I'd sayΒ πŸ˜‰

Oh I'll have some progress to show later, might not be much though πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well, I hear Steve has some color pencils, and can stay within the lines..... Sometimes.... :D

Mum took my crayons away cause i was colouring the wallpaper:drunk: ..... and while i definitely got a bit of a chubby looking at the pics of the KT i don't have one in the stashΒ :(

Β 

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Oh I'll have some progress to show later, might not be much though πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Best get on with it then ....i expect some more progress....crack on you lazy lotΒ :D

• Haha 4

So today's progress and another very enjoyable session at the bench πŸ™‚. I've added a few more parts to the main hull and to the rear bulkhead and started work on the turret. Unfortunately I've lost a couple of tiny parts to "Ping the Merciless " and the carpet monster but I suppose i can put it down to battle damage πŸ€”. I've added the exhausts to the rear bulkhead which will probably make painting them a little bit difficult but I couldn't see any other way to do it. I've fitted the three main assemblies together for the pic's and im happy with what I see for a first attempt. Here's the latest progress pic'sΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

Work will slow me down for the next couple of days but I'll try and sneak in the odd hour or two whenever possible. Thanks for looking and I'll be back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 10

Well you are starting very well indeed ...nice clean build which will make the final finish so much easier

19 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Work will slow me down for the next couple of days but I'll try and sneak in the odd hour or two whenever possible.

and as for the excuses........:bleh:Β you can do better than that ......your starting to sound like @BullbasketΒ with his "it's in transit between countries" malarkyΒ :D

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Nice work so far, it really does look a beautifully detailed kit from here Andy.Β :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comment and it certainly seems to be a very detailed kit. With hindsight i probably should have chosen something a little bit easier for a first build however I've started so I'll finish im determined to get this one over the line πŸ™‚

• Like 1