Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

OH NO HE WOULDN'T :D ....it would be finished within 15 minutes of starting while your still reading the finer points of putting the tracks together...he also has a strange fetish with pinning figures to wood...... :D

They call me "Vlad, the Impatient".... ;) 

• Haha 4

Well that didn't last long guess who just sat on his glasses and broke the arm off 😬. Bloody Tank builds I'm stressed already and I haven't even fired a shot . Time to find my spare set of specs though how that's possible being blind as a bat lord knows. Hmm where's my optivisor a bit OTT but anything is better than nothing 🤔. I will start this build soon.........honest 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Bloody Tank builds I'm stressed already

OI don't blame the tank ...you clumsy --- hat you should do what i do and forget there on your head that way you won't sit on them.......you will just wander around the house for an hour swearing at everybody and saying it's a conspiracy cause somebody hid your glasses only to later realise why everyone was laughing at you and then have to apologize for yelling and swearing......(and no i didn't do that......much)

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

OI don't blame the tank ...you clumsy --- hat you should do what i do and forget there on your head that way you won't sit on them.......you will just wander around the house for an hour swearing at everybody and saying it's a conspiracy cause somebody hid your glasses only to later realise why everyone was laughing at you and then have to apologize for yelling and swearing......(and no i didn't do that......much)

🤣🤣 excellent Steve I don't know what i enjoy more the build or the banter 😀 👍. Oh and im making progress mate rather slow atm but nevertheless I'm moving in the right direction.......I think 🤔 There's a feel good factor with this build and if I can just find the hatch I've misplaced I'll be up and running again 🙂👍

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Oh and im making progress mate rather slow atm

Take your time bud .....not everybody is gifted with tweezers of lightning.....like somebody i could mention ^^^

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Well all the parts I've fitted so far 😂. Sorry Lee I couldn't resist it 😉 😜 

I can see we have to watch you a little closer.... 

Steve.... Watch Andy.... He's sneaky !!  :D

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Steve.... Watch Andy.... He's sneaky !!  

Bout time somebody called you out .......you get no sympathy from me ......... Vlad the incontinent ...sorry misread that :D

• Haha 5

So today's update and im pleased with the progress I've made. The lower hull is complete and the main hull is almost complete minus a few parts im going to add after paint. After a bit of fettling I've managed to fit the rear bulkhead to the lower hull and having dry fitted the main hull it seems everything lines up as it should. Here's a few pic's of where the Tiger stands atm 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for the kit so far, well no real problems everything seems to fit together nicely though the plastic is very soft when cleaning parts up but it's not an issue just different to what I've seen before. Thanks for looking and for all the comments so far ,im enjoying this build and will be back working on it tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 12

Have to say, they did a nice job on the Zim....really nice. Overall the DW crisp moulding is very b=nice. I recently did one of their small kits, an anti aircraft gun. I had a lot of issues with it.....so put me off them a bit. I'm interested in any issues you have with this offering.

Looking good so far......:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Have to say, they did a nice job on the Zim....really nice. Overall the DW crisp moulding is very b=nice. I recently did one of their small kits, an anti aircraft gun. I had a lot of issues with it.....so put me off them a bit. I'm interested in any issues you have with this offering.

Looking good so far......:yes:

Regards

Simon.

Thanks Simon, the only issue I've come across so far was the fitment of the rear bulkhead. The instructions would have you fit it after joining the lower hull and main hull together. I thought this was strange so I temporarily fitted the two halves together fitted the rear bulkhead and glued it in place to the lower hull after checking that everything lined up correctly. Other than that I'm quite impressed with the kit so far nicely molded, no flash and pretty comprehensive instructions 🙂👍

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Simon, the only issue I've come across so far was the fitment of the rear bulkhead. The instructions would have you fit it after joining the lower hull and main hull together. I thought this was strange so I temporarily fitted the two halves together fitted the rear bulkhead and glued it in place to the lower hull after checking that everything lined up correctly. Other than that I'm quite impressed with the kit so far nicely molded, no flash and pretty comprehensive instructions 🙂👍

I think you made the right choice. It does sound a little strange to fit the rear after joining top and bottom. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Yeah, that was similar to the issues on the 30mm Flak.........it seemed they didn't really consider actually building it, ....unlike, say Tamiya, or could be they are just new to instruction sheets, as the kit itself as you say on this one was really nice moulding. Well keep up the good work and any observations on the build.

:yes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I think you made the right choice. It does sound a little strange to fit the rear after joining top and bottom. 

Yep strange and awkward regarding the painting side of things. Not really an issue i suppose but I'm glad i fitted it now rather than later 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeah, that was similar to the issues on the 30mm Flak.........it seemed they didn't really consider actually building it, ....unlike, say Tamiya, or could be they are just new to instruction sheets, as the kit itself as you say on this one was really nice moulding. Well keep up the good work and any observations on the build.

:yes:

Tbh being my first armour build I've been through the instructions more than I would normally, on this occasion I'm glad I did 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Tbh being my first armour build I've been through the instructions more than I would normally, on this occasion I'm glad I did 🙂

Top job Andy and coming along nicely.....it's no bad thing going over the destructions thoroughly with any model not least with a subject your not familiar with....prep is everything. 

Great work

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Top job Andy and coming along nicely.....it's no bad thing going over the destructions thoroughly with any model not least with a subject your not familiar with....prep is everything. 

Great work

Thanks Steve, knowing where to start and what order to build the various parts in is a massive help. Ok so I've only spent one day on the build but a day I've thoroughly enjoyed and im already browsing looking for my next piece of armour. I have another question if you don't mind could you recommend a gloss varnish and a matt varnish that would be ok to use on this build please?🙂👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andy J said:

gloss varnish and a matt varnish that would be ok to use on this build please?

I personally use for matt varnish ...MIG lucky varnish ultra matt finish...it's pre-thinned so no guesswork needed and i would use the corresponding gloss or semi gloss as i believe there also pre-thinned.....i use these on both enamel and acrylic finish, and when they say ultra matt it really is you can almost hear it sucking the light out of the room :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nice work so far.. you will soon have 5 kits on the go in various states of build/paint/weather - and then get distracted by the 

squirrel

next kit you want to build

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I personally use for matt varnish ...MIG lucky varnish ultra matt finish...it's pre-thinned so no guesswork needed and i would use the corresponding gloss or semi gloss as i believe there also pre-thinned.....i use these on both enamel and acrylic finish, and when they say ultra matt it really is you can almost hear it sucking the light out of the room :D 

Great mig lucky varnish it is 👍. Would i be right in thinking that i should use a gloss coat before weathering and then a matt coat over everything to finish off the build? I understand it's down to personal preference but some rough guidelines would be a big help 🙂. I'm simply forward planning and as I intend to continue building armour i don't mind the investment 😉 👍

• Like 1