Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

42 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Sorry to hear that Andy. I hope that your son comes through OK and that it doesn't get passed onto the rest of the household. Be positive.

John.

Seconded - sorry to hear that. Health to you all!

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

So on behalf of my family massive thanks for all the support and kind comments I have received from all of you, very much appreciated. To clarify the situation atm, only my son has so far been confirmed as carrying the virus, tests for my wife and I will be taken tomorrow with the results guaranteed in 48 hours. A worrying time yes but such is life atm so onwards and upwards as always 🙂. I will update this thread as and when the situation arises but for now let's all get back to doing what we do best and play with some plastic 😉 👍

• Like 6

So a very strange day today however I've managed a couple of hours with the Tiger and applied some further weathering. Coming from a car building background to armour means creating mud,dirt,dust etc something I've never had to consider before. But actually I think this now looks more like a tank that's seen some action if you can understand what i mean 🤔. Anyway here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So there we go a little bit different from yesterday but in a good way i hope 🙂. I'm now working on the spare tracks and the other bits and pieces that need attaching to the main hull and when they are in place i can weather them. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the kind wishes mate much appreciated 👍. Just wish I'd known earlier mate as this morning I've driven down to King's Lynn for no reason as I'm damaged goods now 🙂

Could have been worse mate, might have been Great Yarmouth!

KT really looks the biz too, get the rest of the gear on and jobs a good-un!

Good luck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Firstly sorry to hear about your son and all the best to him, you and the family in this tough time.

Secondly, that is a mean looking KT. Doing a great job on it.👍

Thanks for the kind comment regarding the family much appreciated 🙂. As for the KT I'm happy with how it's turning out mate but I'm really not sure about the weathering if I'm honest. With the weathering being such an important part of an armour build this is a concern for me, I'm never really certain if what I'm doing looks correct or whether I'm just making a mess of it. Difficult to explain mate but I need to get my head round it as it's becoming a bit of a problem 🙄

39 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Could have been worse mate, might have been Great Yarmouth!

KT really looks the biz too, get the rest of the gear on and jobs a good-un!

Good luck.

Thanks Darryl, I do think I need to get this one finished up now mate i think I've gone as far as I can with my limited weathering experience 🙂👍

Sorry to hear your news. Hope you and your family stay healthy.

You've done a great job with the mud...the splatter effects on the upper hull are very good and realistic looking.

Don't overthink the weathering process...if it looks right then it's probably right. Some modellers steer towards factory fresh or very lightly weathered vehicles and get great results. Don't think it has to be turned up to 100 on every model.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StuartH said:

Sorry to hear your news. Hope you and your family stay healthy.

You've done a great job with the mud...the splatter effects on the upper hull are very good and realistic looking.

Don't overthink the weathering process...if it looks right then it's probably right. Some modellers steer towards factory fresh or very lightly weathered vehicles and get great results. Don't think it has to be turned up to 100 on every model.

Thanks Stuart, it's been a long day one way or another and I'm whinging mate. A decent night's sleep and everything will be rosy in the garden come tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 2

To misquote a famous artist, whom I can't remember; "The day I am 100% happy with the weathering process is the day I give up modelling."😀

Stuart is right. If you're worried about taking it too far, put it aside for a while and come at it fresh in a couple of days, weeks or even months. You've got a bit of a stash to get on with in the meantime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Darryl, I do think I need to get this one finished up now mate i think I've gone as far as I can with my limited weathering experience 🙂👍

Tbh mate best thing, imho, is finish it off as you've described and place it on the shelf/in the cabinet and start another...

The KT will still be there in a month or 6mths, if after you've seen other examples and you get a more of a fixed idea of what you want you can always add to it. 

Saying all that, half of the game is knowing when to stop, less is often more and it already looks pretty darn good to me!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

To misquote a famous artist, whom I can't remember; "The day I am 100% happy with the weathering process is the day I give up modelling."😀

Stuart is right. If you're worried about taking it too far, put it aside for a while and come at it fresh in a couple of days, weeks or even months. You've got a bit of a stash to get on with in the meantime.

Thanks Stef but it's a thing with me mate i can't work on more than one kit at a time. I'm going to finish this one off now and move on to the next one i already have a different approach planned for the next one and I'm busy gathering goodies as we speak 🙂👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tbh mate best thing, imho, is finish it off as you've described and place it on the shelf/in the cabinet and start another...

The KT will still be there in a month or 6mths, if after you've seen other examples and you get a more of a fixed idea of what you want you can always add to it. 

Saying all that, half of the game is knowing when to stop, less is often more and it already looks pretty darn good to me!

Thanks Darryl and yep I agree 100% with what you say 👍. I've been to impatient with this one expecting everything to work out perfectly was very naive on my part. But I have learnt a lot and can take that experience into the next one and that has to be a good thing 🙂👍

• Like 1

So today I've been working on all the tools and towing equipment to finish off the Tiger. I don't have any pics atm as im still working on some of the parts,however i have a general question regarding my next build and would be interested in people's thoughts. So the question is I've noticed that a lot of people build the whole kit before any painting is started unlike the way I approached my first build, so is building up the whole kit the best way forward ? Thanks for looking 🙂👍

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Andy J said:

so is building up the whole kit the best way forward ?

Depends on the vehicle and the person building it ....for me German vehicles with interleaved road wheels it's best to do in sub-assemblies but for a Sherman i would build the entire vehicle because everything is easy to get to by hand or with an airbrush ...literally horses for courses mate....and of course the complexity of the kit your doing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Depends on the vehicle and the person building it ....for me German vehicles with interleaved road wheels it's best to do in sub-assemblies but for a Sherman i would build the entire vehicle because everything is easy to get to by hand or with an airbrush ...literally horses for courses mate....and of course the complexity of the kit your doing.

Thanks Steve i get what you're saying 👍. I think my next build will be the Tamiya Marder lll and maybe a build first paint later option 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Steve i get what you're saying 👍. I think my next build will be the Tamiya Marder lll and maybe a build first paint later option 🤔

On an open topped vehicle like the Marder you’ll want to paint the interior before putting the walls up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Longbow said:

On an open topped vehicle like the Marder you’ll want to paint the interior before putting the walls up. 

Ok that makes sense and would i be correct in thinking that this vehicle would have been primed with red oxide 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Well.....been off the forum for a bit, and doing some catch up.......and I have to say.....your first piece of armour deserves a big well done....very nice build indeed..:yes:

Simon.

Thanks Simon I appreciate your comment. I've struggled a lot with the weathering process but that's purely down to me expecting way too much too soon, I've realised I need to put in a lot more hours to achieve better results and that suits me fine 🙂 👍

• Like 2