Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

11 hours ago, Andy J said:

This may take me some time to achieve but we all have to start somewhere i suppose.

If you watch some of Night Shift's videos you'll see how true that is - he took 70 hours just to apply chipping to one of his Tigers (and that wasn't meant to start an argument over whether tanks chip or not! 🤣 ) 

And I've just about finished weathering my little Tiger and I reckon it's taken me about 12 hours or so over 3 or 4 sessions with leaving various stages in between to dry (but you also know how slow I am!) 

And you know I'm really not an armour modeller so can't really add to the advice above, other than that point - don't rush it and leave stages to dry properly - you've got enough in the stash now to start something else while you do....!! :)

11 hours ago, StuartH said:

just practice and have fun.

I think that's the best advice so far amongst some really great advice - it's the reason I build the occasional armour model, weathering them is brilliant fun!  :thumbsup:

K

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If you watch some of Night Shift's videos you'll see how true that is - he took 70 hours just to apply chipping to one of his Tigers (and that wasn't meant to start an argument over whether tanks chip or not! 🤣 ) 

And I've just about finished weathering my little Tiger and I reckon it's taken me about 12 hours or so over 3 or 4 sessions with leaving various stages in between to dry (but you also know how slow I am!) 

And you know I'm really not an armour modeller so can't really add to the advice above, other than that point - don't rush it and leave stages to dry properly - you've got enough in the stash now to start something else while you do....!! :)

I think that's the best advice so far amongst some really great advice - it's the reason I build the occasional armour model, weathering them is brilliant fun!  :thumbsup:

K

Thanks Keith, I just need to get started mate then hopefully I can find a rhythm and move along. So massively different to finishing a car build but I've started so I'll finish 🙂👍

• Like 1

So today's update and well.........hmm..I've added a couple of filters a few drops of oil paint here and there and tried adding some wear and tear. Now the pic's may look like I've not touched it since yesterday but believe me I've spent a good few hours trying to create something I'm not familiar with. The overall effect has changed slightly and I like what I see and I think when I give it all a matt coat it will look much better 🤞. The weathering of this kit especially for a first attempt is imo the hardest part of the process so far so here's the pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've been asked what look I'm going for and the answer is whatever I end up with as I simply have no idea how this will look when finished 🙄. As always thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I've been asked what look I'm going for and the answer is whatever I end up with as I simply have no idea how this will look when finished 🙄. As always thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

I go through 15-20 steps on my weathering...but here's the thing .....thats my process and it's taken years to get it where i do it without planning, people can tell you what and how they do there process but ultimately you have to come up with your own, watching people like Martin Kovac on his videos is great to get inspiration but to try and copy him move for move will leave you feeling a bit empty and frustrated when you don't get the same result....as you go on and see others models that inspire you will as a result have you coming up with your own process....either way you won't find two modellers with an identical way of doing things....... i was always told anything artistic is a journey not a destination .................. enjoy your own journey :like:

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Ooff !! That looks good !!

Love the green color splash of the markings !!

Thanks Lee but tbh for the first time I'm struggling mate, I simply have no picture in my head of what I'm trying to achieve with the weathering. It looks fine to me but I'm not sure when to stop and move on with fixing all the three main assemblies together 🤔

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I go through 15-20 steps on my weathering...but here's the thing .....thats my process and it's taken years to get it where i do it without planning, people can tell you what and how they do there process but ultimately you have to come up with your own, watching people like Martin Kovac on his videos is great to get inspiration but to try and copy him move for move will leave you feeling a bit empty and frustrated when you don't get the same result....as you go on and see others models that inspire you will as a result have you coming up with your own process....either way you won't find two modellers with an identical way of doing things....... i was always told anything artistic is a journey not a destination .................. enjoy your own journey :like:

I get where you're coming from Steve and I appreciate the comment mate but it's a little frustrating not being in control of what you're doing. I guess the answer is to make my own decisions and move on with the build after all its only a first attempt 🙂👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I get where you're coming from Steve and I appreciate the comment mate but it's a little frustrating not being in control of what you're doing. I guess the answer is to make my own decisions and move on with the build after all its only a first attempt

Why not start with the basics...... again this is me ..and may not suit your style

A light dry brush.....lighter shade of the base colours lightly brushed over the raised detail

Then a panel line wash with a dark oil heavily thinned so that it flows around detail......so now you have highlighted raised areas and added depth with the wash

Next some more detailed and localized weathering...chipping around access points and engine deck access doors ....metalizing of heavily worn handles and weld beads were there would be heavy foot traffic. Scratching of side shields ..localized mud splashing around the rear of the vehicle ...smoke staining on exhaust stacks and around the muzzle brake.

Next fuel stains around fuel ports ..oil stains around the engine deck rust streaks around areas were chipping has gone down to the metal...pastels are excellent at adding dust to upper surfaces were mud and dirty boots will have dried.... rain streaking from horizontal surfaces were water would collect and spill down the vertical surfaces.

Basics to get started and that you can evolve to fit your own style.....that's probably no help ...but these are the basics i started with and above all be subtle at first till you're comfortable with a particular method.

• Like 5

Ok so I have a plan based on the comments above which I am very grateful for. First off matt varnish main hull and turret then as suggested by @Longbow I'm going to fit the three main assemblies together. This i think will help me decide where to go next. Then I will move through the list above provided by @M3talpig and that I think will get me over the line. Thanks for the suggestions and help much appreciated 🙂👍

• Like 2

Don't forget you'd never done any weathering on a car until that big Porsche engine, and we know how quickly you picked that up and got a great result! Take on the advice the guys are giving you, don't overthink it - just crack on!

K

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Ok so I have a plan based on the comments above which I am very grateful for. First off matt varnish main hull and turret then as suggested by @Longbow I'm going to fit the three main assemblies together. This i think will help me decide where to go next. Then I will move through the list above provided by @M3talpig and that I think will get me over the line. Thanks for the suggestions and help much appreciated 🙂👍

Whooo there buster!!!

Mat varnish once all your weathering is done !!

Washes will flow better and not grip in. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Whooo there buster!!!

Mat varnish once all your weathering is done !!

Washes will flow better and not grip in. 

Ok gotcha Lee 👍

5 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Mat varnish once all your weathering is done

I have to disagree with this but again this is what i was talking about ...what works for one may not work for another....... i always matt coat then weather even with washes and panel lining ...it is a little more labour intensive but the result is nicer (at least for me personally) when panel lining on matt you will get a bleeding effect but if you keep a small amount of neat thinner on your pallet you can clean up as you go  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I have to disagree with this but again this is what i was talking about ...what works for one may not work for another....... i always matt coat then weather even with washes and panel lining ...it is a little more labour intensive but the result is nicer (at least for me personally) when panel lining on matt you will get a bleeding effect but if you keep a small amount of neat thinner on your pallet you can clean up as you go  

Ha ha now I'm really confused 🤔. I can try both ways i reckon and then decide what works for me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Even after pigments? I struggle using pigments other than on a matt finish....

Keith

Can't comment Keith I'm a virgin 🙂👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Ha ha now I'm really confused 🤔. I can try both ways i reckon and then decide what works for me. 

Don't be there is a good reason for both techniques...... on matt doing panel lining will cause bleeding were the pigment and thinner will spread over a wider area than perhaps you had planned...again having raw thinner at hand and a clean brush dampened with clean thinner you can clean up as you go

Result of this is that you control how the effect looks and can allow or not were it bleeds and to what extent

With the gloss technique you wont get bleeding but a clean edge to your panel lining ...but gloss is only for this part of the process as dry brushing won't work on a gloss coat and neither will pastel work or pigment work.

Result you have no clean up to do as you go...but for me it is a little too clinical ....i personally like the the randomness of the matt method .

Best i can advise here is use the bottom of the model and try both techniques and see which you prefer....warning though if you do the matt technique dry brush first then panel line......with the gloss technique panel line first then matt coat then dry brush  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Don't be there is a good reason for both techniques...... on matt doing panel lining will cause bleeding were the pigment and thinner will spread over a wider area than perhaps you had planned...again having raw thinner at hand and a clean brush dampened with clean thinner you can clean up as you go

Result of this is that you control how the effect looks and can allow or not were it bleeds and to what extent

With the gloss technique you wont get bleeding but a clean edge to your panel lining ...but gloss is only for this part of the process as dry brushing won't work on a gloss coat and neither will pastel work or pigment work.

Result you have no clean up to do as you go...but for me it is a little too clinical ....i personally like the the randomness of the matt method .

Best i can advise here is use the bottom of the model and try both techniques and see which you prefer....warning though if you do the matt technique dry brush first then panel line......with the gloss technique panel line first then matt coat then dry brush  

Good grief this is a technical business 😳. Still i wanted a challenge and it looks like I've found one 🙂👍

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t dry brush either :D

Like Steve says, Experiment and see what works for you...

I have a very set pattern, and use a minimal amount of weathering items. 

Others use 20 or 30 weathering items  

When it all boils down, its You that has to be happy with Your production. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Yeah, I don’t dry brush either :D

Like Steve says, Experiment and see what works for you...

I have a very set pattern, and use a minimal amount of weathering items. 

Others use 20 or 30 weathering items  

When it all boils down, its You that has to be happy with Your production. 

Yep I agree well said that man. Onwards and upwards 👍 

• Like 2

Stop!

Steve's advice is excellent and far better than I'd do, as is Lee's and Dan's but....

I suspect your getting a little overawed by all the different suggestions and recommendations which is quite understandable, I'm getting that way reading them.

Everyone has there own method which works for them as others have stated, the Kingtiger is looking terrific btw, you need to play around find a process that works for you and develop that, take on board the suggestions play with them. Just because it's good for Lee not necessarily good for you and vice versa. You know the essentials so relax, take and breather. 

Watch a few YouTube videos and read through a few old wips just to see the process in action and cherry pick the techniques you like.

If you like I can add a link to a couple I've done as an example of what and what not to do! I've always found Dan's @Dads203 really really good and pinched ideas from those.

Relax and enjoy....

I would suggest getting top and bottom joined up though, easier to get a uniform finish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1