Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi there, so I usually build 1/24 car kits but having spent some time lately viewing the excellent armour builds on here I've decided to attempt the Das Werk kit below 

 

spacer.png

 

I've also invested in this paint set from mig which covers the main colours of the tank 

 

spacer.png

 

Having looked through the box the kit seems to be very good value for money as @M3talpig and others suggested it would be. However reading through the instructions for the kit has left me with more questions than answers. That's the main reason for the wip tbh as hopefully i can tap into the experience and knowledge of the great folk on here for guidance. 

So with that in mind when would be the best time to paint the tracks during construction because the pic below of the kit instructions shows the tracks fixed to the front and rear wheels (please excuse the terminology 🙄) which would seem to me to make painting difficult? 

 

spacer.png

 

I realise there's probably a simple way to tackle this but I haven't a clue 🤔. So I will begin the build tomorrow as I have a couple of days off work and though I don't really have a plan as such I'm very much looking forward to having a go and see what I can make of this kit. Thanks for looking and I'll be back soon 🙂

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget about the tracks and wheels until you have built the main hull...paint lower hull and weather.

Then build the wheels sprockets and idlers...paint and weather

Then do the tracks ...they show using the jig to build the track leaving the bottom run of do this but dont glue the track to the sprocket or idler....once everything is set paint and weather tracks.

Now fit the sprocket and idler back into the tracks fit road wheels and fit the whole lot to your finished hull connect with the lower run use a small amount of cyano not poly cement or you will damage the paint ...then you can proceed with the rest of the build paint and weathering......now crack on i expect to see this done by the weekend :D

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I hope you enjoy your first AFV....looks like a great kit.

I'm no expert and others on here will know far more but in terms of tracks and wheels I don't attach these in place until after painting and some weathering. I build the tracks into a few sections for painting then glue them into place at the very end along with the wheels. I keep the wheels and tracks separate during painting. It also allows you to paint/weather the lower hull without the wheels in place.

To get the tracks into place at the end I also use a hairdryer on a low setting to reshape them if necessary.

That's what works for me though others will I'm sure have their own methods.

 

Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Forget about the tracks and wheels until you have built the main hull...paint lower hull and weather.

Then build the wheels sprockets and idlers...paint and weather

Then do the tracks ...they show using the jig to build the track leaving the bottom run of do this but dont glue the track to the sprocket or idler....once everything is set paint and weather tracks.

Now fit the sprocket and idler back into the tracks fit road wheels and fit the whole lot to your finished hull connect with the lower run use a small amount of cyano not poly cement or you will damage the paint ...then you can proceed with the rest of the build paint and weathering......now crack on i expect to see this done by the weekend :D

 

Err..........ok sounds easy enough 🙄. No seriously thanks for the guidance at least now i have an idea of the correct stages to follow 👍. Just to clarify regarding the main hull would you leave the painting till the lower hull is in place or paint the main hull before joining to the completed lower hull?

 As for finishing by the weekend I have more chance of being struck by lightning my friend 🙃 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, StuartH said:

Hi. I hope you enjoy your first AFV....looks like a great kit.

I'm no expert and others on here will know far more but in terms of tracks and wheels I don't attach these in place until after painting and some weathering. I build the tracks into a few sections for painting then glue them into place at the very end along with the wheels. I keep the wheels and tracks separate during painting. It also allows you to paint/weather the lower hull without the wheels in place.

To get the tracks into place at the end I also use a hairdryer on a low setting to reshape them if necessary.

That's what works for me though others will I'm sure have their own methods.

 

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Stuart much appreciated 👍. It seems like leaving the wheels and tracks till the end is the way to go as for the rest well I'll just take my time and enjoy the build 😀 I wanted a change and a challenge and I reckon that's exactly what I've got. I'm looking forward to this build now lord knows what I'll end up with but as long as it vaguely resembles a Tiger ll I'll be happy 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Err..........ok sounds easy enough 🙄. No seriously thanks for the guidance at least now i have an idea of the correct stages to follow 👍. Just to clarify regarding the main hull would you leave the painting till the lower hull is in place or paint the main hull before joining to the completed lower hull?

 As for finishing by the weekend I have more chance of being struck by lightning my friend 🙃 

Paint the entire hull but only weather the lower hull ....that way once the wheels are ready you just assemble sit the whole thing on its finished running gear and weather the rest of the vehicle at your leisure.........This is what you want to end up with  everything built now start from the bottom and work up

 

spacer.png

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Paint the entire hull but only weather the lower hull ....that way once the wheels are ready you just assemble sit the whole thing on its finished running gear and weather the rest of the vehicle at your leisure.........This is what you want to end up with  everything built now start from the bottom and work up

 

spacer.png

Great thanks the penny is beginning to drop takes a while where I'm concerned but the information will sink in.........eventually 🙂👍

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy J said:

reat thanks the penny is beginning to drop takes a while where I'm concerned but the information will sink in.........eventually 🙂👍

 

Andy if i was building a car i would be asking you the same questions......it's all a learning curve 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Build in sub assemblies Andy, keeps the painting and weathering nice and easy. 
Tracks, Running gear, Hull, Turret, and then the smaller details such as fitted tools, stowage, AA machine guns etc. You’ll find a happy medium that works for you mate.

 

:thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Andy if i was building a car i would be asking you the same questions......it's all a learning curve 

Fair point i hadn't thought of it like that 🤔. Like I said earlier the wip gives me the key to valuable information and experience and best of all encouragement thanks again 👍 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Build in sub assemblies Andy, keeps the painting and weathering nice and easy. 
Tracks, Running gear, Hull, Turret, and then the smaller details such as fitted tools, stowage, AA machine guns etc. You’ll find a happy medium that works for you mate.

 

:thumbsup:

Oh bugger I forgot all about the turret jeez I need to get a grip 🙄. Seriously though I'm really looking forward to this should be entertaining if nothing else 🙂👍

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have some great advice, here, Andy, and I fully agree with everything everyone has said.

 

Each builder tends to find their own comfort zone, some will build the kit fully, and then paint, some sub assemblies, and then paint.

Some builders have a few sub assemblies, and some builders have many. 

 

Most of us fall somewhere in between. 

 

The main thing is to have fun, and not stress too much. If you can see it, sometimes you still can't paint it. Check and double check that you will still be able to paint something, once it's set in place, and go from there. 

 

All the best... Lee ;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Good luck on the build Andy. Having seen some of your car builds I feel you will be more than ok. 👍

Thanks Stef N , once I get my head around the basics and find my feet i can move forward. Already tonight I have a much better idea of what's required thanks to the help I've already received. I'm excited about a build again something I haven't felt for a while 🙂👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You have some great advice, here, Andy, and I fully agree with everything everyone has said.

 

Each builder tends to find their own comfort zone, some will build the kit fully, and then paint, some sub assemblies, and then paint.

Some builders have a few sub assemblies, and some builders have many. 

 

Most of us fall somewhere in between. 

 

The main thing is to have fun, and not stress too much. If you can see it, sometimes you still can't paint it. Check and double check that you will still be able to paint something, once it's set in place, and go from there. 

 

All the best... Lee ;)

Thanks Lee, I'll be double checking more than ever for the time being because everything is very unfamiliar. Although I tend to take a light hearted approach to my builds I'm out to build a decent Tiger ll and will be giving it my best shot. People put their selves out to offer advice and im listening to every word 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some really great advice in this wip, might have a go at one of these clinky-clanky-tanky things myself following this lot!

 

As has been said this is supposed to be fun, apparently,  so I wouldn't get to hung up on the minutiae if you can build a car or a plane then it should be no problem. 

 

Just watch out for the odd characters lurking, no names mentioned....they can lead you astray isn't that right S... . Just watch out for them suggesting plaster of paris for gods sake!😱

 

(That was close almost gave your name away then Steve! 🤫)

 

Good luck

Darryl 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent first project, looking forward to seeing it come together.

 

All the advice is sound up above, no doubt about that. I can only add that I find dry fitting everything tends to show me whether I’ll be able to reach spots if everything is glued or if I have to leave it off until painting/weathering is done. You’ll find your way in no time.

 

Will you be going for factory fresh or a used look?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with this Andy. You've certainly not chosen an easy one as your first AFV, but the advice given on here will help. When I first graduated from wingey things to proper modelling:wicked:, about 20 years ago, I asked for similar advice on another forum, but what I got didn't help very much. I was told to build all of the running gear and tracks onto the model and then paint it. That's a real beggar of a way to do it, so what you've been told on here is miles better.

Best of luck.

 

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SimonT said:

Excellent first project, looking forward to seeing it come together.

 

All the advice is sound up above, no doubt about that. I can only add that I find dry fitting everything tends to show me whether I’ll be able to reach spots if everything is glued or if I have to leave it off until painting/weathering is done. You’ll find your way in no time.

 

Will you be going for factory fresh or a used look?

Thanks Simon I appreciate your comment mate 👍. As for the final look I hope to go for the used version but atm I'm just going to concentrate on building up the various parts of the tank which is plenty to keep me occupied for now 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Good luck with this Andy. You've certainly not chosen an easy one as your first AFV, but the advice given on here will help. When I first graduated from wingey things to proper modelling:wicked:, about 20 years ago, I asked for similar advice on another forum, but what I got didn't help very much. I was told to build all of the running gear and tracks onto the model and then paint it. That's a real beggar of a way to do it, so what you've been told on here is miles better.

Best of luck.

 

John.

Thanks John, having spent some time looking through the instructions, parts etc and dry fitting a few parts i would tend to agree that i could have possibly chosen an easier kit to begin with. However I have the kit now and I will be giving it a blast, but the advice I've received already is proving to be a massive help so time to find some sticky stuff and let the games begin 😀 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember, it's a tank.... Any problem spots, you can cover with mud :D

 

Seriously though, I have the Henschel version, and If it wasn't for the Panther GB I'd do a side-by-side build with you.

From what I've seen on line, the only issues seem to be tight fit around the engine bay, getting the torsion bars to fit into their sockets at the far end of each side, and a possible gap issue with the front hull, due to the transmission sitting slightly too high. 

 

Have you started yet ?? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, as a fellow Midlander I would like to welcome you to the tank building genre, I have only built the Dragon King Tiger but if you are building the one on the box art (s.Pz.Abt. 505) I can help with build details as I built one last year during the King Tiger GB.

IMG_0971

If you have any questions please ask, others have offered good advice on where to start your build, just enjoy it.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lee, I will be starting later today but I think you may have a more detailed version of the kit than mine. I have no transmission and though I think i have torsion bar's there's no mention of them in the instructions. I could of course be totally wrong but I do know that my kit is a simplified version of the original Takom kit 🙂 As for the front hull well the instructions show this part fitted once the lower hull and main hull have been joined together. Although I need to check again it seems the fitment of this part is well.......not great. It seems I have some thinking to do regarding this area and will probably have to join the two hull parts temporarily to check the fit 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Andy, as a fellow Midlander I would like to welcome you to the tank building genre, I have only built the Dragon King Tiger but if you are building the one on the box art (s.Pz.Abt. 505) I can help with build details as I built one last year during the King Tiger GB.

IMG_0971

If you have any questions please ask, others have offered good advice on where to start your build, just enjoy it.

Thanks Bob, that looks a great build indeed mate if i can achieve a result any where near yours I'll be happy 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Longbow said:

and If it wasn't for the Panther GB I'd do a side-by-side build with you

OH NO HE WOULDN'T :D ....it would be finished within 15 minutes of starting while your still reading the finer points of putting the tracks together...he also has a strange fetish with pinning figures to wood...... :D

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...