A kit I didn't build as a kid

... but always wished that I had.

We;ll, I can now put that right.

This is the venerable Tamiya kit dating from 1968, although I beleieve this boxing is from 1990.  The kit represents the Ausf. A version.

It may not be the most modern kit out there and is probably not the most accurate.  Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to building this one.  :bounce:  :thumbsup:  

spacer.png

• Like 7

I'm ashamed to say, that mine was built and primed and will most probably be a paint/technique mule for my offering for this GB...

It was built probably 20 ish years ago, primed about 10 years ago so seems right as it's waited the prescribed 10 years :blahblahblah: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This kit is over fifty years old, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the sprues.  Yes, it is somewhat simplified in comparison to today's kits.  I believe the original boxing of thois kit was motorised and this shows clearly on the lower hull components.  But it is still a very nice kit indeed.   I particularly like the tenon jpint detail on the hull components.  What a pity I'm going to cover it up.  :fool: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I mentioned in the post above that I will be covering up the hull detail.  This vehicle was probably covered in zimmerit.  I will be usuaing the Eduard etched set, which I neglected to take a photo of before I started to use it...   :wall: 

First job was to build the lower hull.  As usual, I added some ballast.   It's not necessary but I like my tank models to have a bit of physical presence. 

spacer.png

Zimmerit etches applied to the rear panel.

spacer.png

And to the upper hull.  Some work still needed on the machine gun mounting

spacer.png

Rear panel of the turret

spacer.png

And work continues on the zimmerit.  I am now the Man With The Golden Tank   :D 

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

No longer shiny!  I started to prime the components.

The lower hull displays everidence of its origins as a motorised model.  I closed up the various areas with thick platicard to prevent a see-threough look.

spacer.png

I've also started to add various kit delete parts.

spacer.png

And closed off the sponsons with thick plasticard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ready for final priming.

spacer.png

Done! :thumbsup:

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am building a Jagdpanther concurrent, so let's have a look how they match up together.

spacer.png

The Jagdpanther was designed to have a much lower profile than the Panther.  This shot shows how it turned out.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here's something I didn't know.  The Panther is actually bigger than the Tiger!

I just put mine next to a T-55.. and gosh the Panther is big!

great work on both your Panthers!

• Thanks 1