Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer S2

Yet another example of Airfix's fine new 1.72 Buccaneer, OOB apart from some stretched sprue hydraulic cabling added to the undercarriage, tape seatbelts and ejector handles from wire.

IMG_7362

I kept her nice and clean, ready for service aboard HMS Eagle, June 1971 (so still an S2).

IMG_7368

11c56d61098940c3f3ae78e661527c92.jpg

I had got the kit as a quick mojo-restoring build at the start of the Covid lockdown - simple to build, simple to paint, right? So of course it took five months. One issue was I'd almost got painting done when some kind soul :swear: on BM pointed out that Airfix had included all the strengthening plates and strakes added later by the RAF and present on the LIDARed aircraft. So for an RN Buccaneer in the 60s/70s, you need to do some hacking and sanding. My next problem was my paint supplies - I had started with 1/4 a tin of Humbrol EDSG and no access to more as civilization was basically coming to an end, so I had to eek out the last few drops - and of course failed, so a long wait for my LHS to re-open so I could get more. And had I found I didn't have anything matching Light Admiralty Grey - but hold on, the Airfix plastic seems to be almost an exact match, even got that faint blue tinge... :hmmm: so I left the gear and doors unpainted. It's quick tricky to get bare plastic to look right but it made the washes a breeze. Like many builders I drilled out the tail air brake holes.

IMG_7367

IMG_7358

Then I ruined the canopy trying to be clever and paint the frames on the inside. Airfix's replacement department was locked down, so couldn't send a new one until July, but when they did they waived the cost - thanks! Fortunately I got it right the second time, couldn't have faced the embarrassment.

IMG_7360

The canopy fit is perfect by the way so you can open it when required. The kit has had a bit of flak for having a simple cockpit, but IMO Airfix have got it right. The wing fold inserts and cockpit decals are quite sufficient for the younger/less experienced modellers we need to encourage (and for whom this kit is ideal). The rest of us will replace what we like with resin and etch without too much hacking - so everybody wins. Instructions and part engineering are all superb.

Another criticism from reviewers is the fit of the rear fuselage where some sanding is required. Knowing this, I dry assembled and found the fit to be perfect - but when building yes, it needed some fettling. So I propose a theory that the fit is so fine that if you use plenty of glue and clamp pressure on the internal engine box structure, you squash it just enough to throw the the fuselage top and bottom out of kilter which then affects the intakes and tail. If I ever build another one I'll be use less POWER and see if it just falls together. The only fault I really found was the slipper tanks were too far outboard, extending beyond the wing fold. Maybe I didn't drill the holes right but look out for it. Eventually I cut off the locating lugs and just glued them in the right place.

IMG_7364

Thanks for looking!

• Like 55

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Lovely looking Bucc, and thanks for the heads up on the RAF airframe upgrades to be removed. :thumbsup:

IIRC this was originally pointed out by Harry Lime. Several builds in the Buccaneer STGB note the mods required. Also note the tanks in the kit are, I think, the later RAF ones, the RN ones were slimmer and rarely used? But I have a photo of an 800 squadron flightline with them on so I kept them, they are a big part of the Buccaneer look for me.

One other thing I forgot - for some odd reason the bomb bay has a detail face for one end but not the other. I scratchbuilt it using the BM walkarounds as a guide - a big help! (for finding things to do other than finish kits, that is)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Then I ruined the canopy trying to be clever and paint the frames on the inside

What issue did you have with the canopy exactly? Because if it was only paint, it should have been easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) without damaging the plastic. Unless you used some very aggressive paint.

27 minutes ago, Fixer said:

What issue did you have with the canopy exactly? Because if it was only paint, it should have been easy to remove with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) without damaging the plastic. Unless you used some very aggressive paint.

It was enamel. The issue was while polishing it, I must have bent it slightly, I don't know how. Stress micro-fractures could be seen from various angles as a sort of hazing effect. The clearer I got the canopy, the more obvious it became. It was easier to start over.

5 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

I'd almost got painting done when some kind soul :swear: on BM pointed out that Airfix had included all the strengthening plates and strakes added later by the RAF and present on the LIDARed aircraft.

Despite that kind soul's intervention, that's a proper decent looking Bucc! Looks every inch the archetypal FAA jet sitting ready on deck. Nice cheat for the Lt Adm Grey on the U/C!

Regards,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

very nice looking model!

and thank you for sharing how you made the kit and the info about strengthening plates and strakes added later by the RAF. I did not know that!

The new Airfix kit is obviously a vast improvement as compared to their earlier kit(s) seen here....

• Like 1

I like the overall presentation of this Buccaneer. Folded wings, open speed brakes and cockpit makes it interesting along with being superbly assembled. I applaud your attention to detail and realistic finish. 

Mike

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 14:37, Billy54 said:

Very nice build, I like it a lot. Love the comparison of your model to the photo of the real thing.

Unfortunately, I've just realised the real thing shows the 'ROYAL NAVY' on the tail is a bit too far forward! Airfix just repeat the Ark Royal positioning on the decal guide and I didn't check it. Ark ruining everything as usual! Oh well, they must have repainted it at some point.

Anyway here is another photo of the real thing showing the tanks:

p786995958-3.jpg

These are the original RN tanks, I think they are a bit more pointy than the RAF ones?

7461637782_2c4a6ec264_z.jpg

IMG_7352

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October update - According posts in the Buccaneer group build, the tanks are correct for an early RN Buccaneer, but were soon redesigned. So the tanks are right for the kit schemes but not anything later - lets see if Airfix address this in future boxings.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
Updated info
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, meindert said:

very nice looking model!

and thank you for sharing how you made the kit and the info about strengthening plates and strakes added later by the RAF. I did not know that!

The new Airfix kit is obviously a vast improvement as compared to their earlier kit(s) seen here....

Yes I built the Mark 1 as a kid and ruined it. It was terrible even without my efforts, but Airfix have made amends. I just wish they would scale down their Javelin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 11:26, meindert said:

to come back to the... info about strengthening plates and strakes added later by the RAF.

any idea where these plates are on the Airfix parts?   So which ones to remove for a Royal Navy S2 ?

Sorry never got an alert for this post and only just seen it. Here's a link to Harry Lime's comprehensive and excellent post:

Note some people have also been removing the raised panel on the tail but as far as I know that should be there - Harry keeps it and it can be seen on the flightline photos above.

• Like 1