Modeling the F-4E in rotation (new ZM 1/48 kit)

wadeocu

What a lovely production this new Zoukei Mura kit is!  When they first released their Phantom kits, I was disappointed that they didn't start with the early E, but now I am glad that they worked out some of the bugs on other models because this is the one for me! 

It appears to be designed to allow the model to be properly configured for an aircraft taking off with weight still on the main gear although it doesn’t specifically explain this in the instructions.  Am I right about this?

Going down the list of things to consider for this configuration:

1 - nose gear leg extended

2 - flaps and slats down (instructions say the angles should be: 60 degrees for leading edge flap and 55 for outboard, 60 for flap and 16.5 for aileron - is this right for my build?)

3 - downward facing stabilator 

4 - air brakes/canopy closed (of course)

5 - nozzles open

6 - gun vent down/closed (?)

7 - aux intake doors down/open (?)

Anything I am missing or getting wrong?  It seems that ZM had this configuration in mind designing parts needed for it other than crew figures (see PS) which is pretty cool.

I am grateful for any technical advice on getting this right.  This will be presented to my old man who did his second tour in Vietnam with the 4th TFS 366th TFW at Danang. Must get the details right; he will spot a goof in a split second! Thanks for taking the time to read this and giving me your thoughts.  - Jack

PS - Thoughts about crew figures are appreciated too.  Hasegawa is an option but they have the visors down.  Something a little more detailed would be nice.  There are the Aerobonus figures with seats but they are Navy versions (could probably make that work) and they don’t appear to have oxygen masks (kind of a puzzling deal breaker for me).   PJ Productions doesn't seem to have anything suitable either.  Ideas here are also most welcome.

• Like 1

I posted this question to ARC too and got some help over there from GeneK who is, like me, also a member over here.  I thought I would post his answer here too for posterity sake and for those who don't participate in both forums.  Thanks again to Gene for the tremendously helpful reply below:

... for your planned configuration, the ailerons would be neutral (assuming no stick deflection).  Note that ailerons do not ever go above the neutral position, only down - spoilers on the opposing wing would go up when stick is deflected (spoilers have less drag than an aileron, thus averting adverse yaw).

Trailing Edge Flaps would  be 1/2, not 60 degrees, for takeoff (full down for landing - you could model the airaft just after touchdown before the chute is deployed, but nozzles would be closed).

The Gun Gas Purge Door is spring loaded open. When the aircraft is powered up, hydraulic pressure closes the door. When the trigger is pressed, hydraulic power is removed and the door opens.  Likewise, when the aircraft is shut down and hydraulic power removed, the door springs open.

Aux Air Doors are controlled by the gear handle, except in flight they could crack open to relieve a fuselage overpressure condition.  Handle down = doors open; handle up = doors closed.

Helmet visors.  If it's not a surprise gift, you'd better check with your Dad what his preference was. His helmet was probably single visor (no choice of clear or dark), and most pilots flew with the visor down. Also, his Oxygen Mask would undoubtedly have been on.

The Stabilator leading edge would not necessarily have been full down -- normal take off procedure (in particular single ship with a heavy load) is stick full aft staring the take off run, and as the airplane starts to rotate at around 130 knots (depending on load), the stick is eased forward to establish a 10 degree takeoff attitude, which is held after the airplane lifts off at  around 155 knots and climbs out. So since you want to technically impress your dad, have the model in a 10 degree take off attitude.

Looking forward to your build!

Gene K

P. S.  You mentioned slats - the  hard wing did not have slats, but leading edge flaps. Also, some folks erroneously call the stabilator's fixed opening slats - however, they they are slots.

• Haha 1