1/72 Fieseler Storch (Smer Boxing) - Finished

Richard Tucker

5 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

So far I've snapped 1 ski off and 1 whole leg off. The long legs are very delicate

I'm so happy that my model has a conventional gear, even though it's the flimsy Me 109 thing... I usally break these parts about three times before I finish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:46 PM, Toryu said:

I'm so happy that my model has a conventional gear, even though it's the flimsy Me 109 thing... I usally break these parts about three times before I finish.

Hi Toryu,

glad to hear that I am not alone in the breakage department.

Just done that with my own 109 for the BoB GB! After breaking everything small and almost snapping the undercarriage, I decided to cannibalize the aerial from another Airfix 109 in the stash, and snapped this one on the sprue... A long moment of loneliness. Eventually made a new one from some old Airfix Kingfisher bit... I can still break that one!

@Richard Tucker I stalled my Academy Storch because I was too scared to remove the undercarriage legs from the sprue.... I understand what you are going through!

I am sure it will be fine in the end!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress over the weekend as the weather wasn't good.

y4mNwy2xpD48uYu1TK-PLUc64zNk9a8eoChkuq69

The whole plane has had a coat of white. It was at this point I realised I had not painted the yellow theatre band!

y4mfAwP6W7w5vuThJRK4XTfW4jyDonWBO06BxxPa

Masked and ready to go.

y4m-0J2YD1pnw-9e2H1eWv72ExDcRmQPgytm5Dzv

Yellow band done. For some reason all of the yellow paints I have used never coat well. I always end up doing lots of coats. This was 2 coats of Vallejo Model Air Yellow.

I'm pleased with the overall results. I managed to not snap off any more bits of the undercarriage and it is ready for some clear gloss and some decals.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

That looks tidy.

It looks like the cockpit clear parts aren't masked, but they must be if you’re spraying paint. What is the mask you’ve used?

Hand cut Tamiya tape. It took ages!

Here is another showing the pieces of tape after the primer was put on the outside.

I masked the inside of the cockpit. Sprayed it. Took off the mask, assembled the cockpit, masked the outside and sprayed that. I've never used so much tape on such a small plane.

y4m7YrBanqPO-wZC3ayPHe11rYp9eTxHx3at9LPc

• Like 2

I've done the last few tasks today. The whole model was sprayed with clear gloss. The decals were applied very carefully. 2 of the crosses broke up in the water but I was able to salvage them. This is my common experience with the Smer decals.

Once the decals were on, I used a little AK White panel liner to highlight the few sunken panel lines and give some areas a more worn look.

I'm really pleased to finish this one.

y4mtuxTIi15lOHMrSs0DDbfyv69Av48G3CZs7UBq

y4mNeifxPJOMbfQJMaEJGWkVrjMeTIR4oT1fFwXH

• Like 11

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice work, Richard

It would be great to see that workmanship with a French overcoat ;)

Martin

I am not sure I can cope with another masking session like that! It was probably 25 years since I last built a Storch and I remember it being difficult as a kid. It may be another 25 before I build another :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s an absolute cracker Richard.... very well done, she’s turned out amazingly well.
Cheers and thanks for taking part with this excellent Storch... Dave

Thank you. This was the first GB I joined and I have enjoyed the progress and having an extra impetus to actually complete 1 model.....Having completed this and a couple of other models on the bench I think I might pull another Smer or Heller kit out and do one more for this GB..... Choices choices......

Hi Richard,

absolutely beautiful.

Congrats are in order!

JR

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Richard Tucker changed the title to 1/72 Fieseler Storch (Smer Boxing) - Finished