G.W.H 1/144 RAF TSR2 with a twist.

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Just got this kit out of my stash, so many small parts! Struggling to find the motivation to get past just looking at all those bits, but I really really want to build a TSR2. Thinking of doing mine as XR219 in flight with the airbrakes deployed, that landing gear doesn't look appealing to assemble. 

Hi-yer Adam.      Well, the small bits are inevitable    😯

I’ve read other BritModellers having had no problems with the U/C, but I had regrets of not using the white metal replacement legs.  Should you go down the in flight route you’ll need a set of aircrew, and some patience’s getting the U/C doors closed.  I’d like to see someone save the kit supplied stand from going into landfill. 😲

spacer.png

Until next time, stay safe.        😉

• Like 2

Just now, amos brierley said:

Hi-yer Adam.      Well, the small bits are inevitable    😯

I’ve read other BritModellers having had no problems with the U/C, but I had regrets of not using the white metal replacement legs.  Should you go down the in flight route you’ll need a set of aircrew, and some patience’s getting the U/C doors closed.  I’d like to see someone save the kit supplied stand from going into landfill. 😲

Just now, amos brierley said:

White metal legs is a good idea actually might have to get some if I go gear down.

What's wrong with the stand? I do have a spare from my latest Vulcan I could replace it with. 

Hello everyone.

Many thanks to many people for supporting me. 

It’s just not very often that you see someone use the stand, I’ d love to see anyone display that way, what I was implying was , just think of how many stands have been ignored only to be tossed into the bin. (Shame on me 😩).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.                Small model, long overdue update.

It’s been a little while, I’ve been carried away with some bits and pieces......

As always a little update on life,  it’s slowly picking up nicely, so, gradually getting into a better place. Now, a slight blight on the horizon, my shift pattern is moving from Wed - Thur- Fri to Sun - Mon - Tue  often referred to as my ‘sad seven’ . Including Saturday as O.T it’s a tough ask at the best of times, but next week things will be a little bit more difficult with the clocks going’s back an hour....... So, all the more to get a wiggle on........

Right, one of my last rambling s was not having a base for its final display. This led me to picking up anyone of my favourite bases which I’ve used at model shows and competitions. I’ve used MDF in the past, and been a little arsy with the level of work to finish them to a lovely standard. This time around see’s me converting a solid wooden offering, how hard could it be? After a few sessions with some filler and much sanding I’ve got there in the end ( in between refurbishing my en sweet bathroom ) yes, three weeks of modelling time consumed. But more importantly I’ve got there, and the bottom of a rattle can of Halfords gloss black paint, which seems to have all of the gloss. Time to park it....

In the mean time I’ve taken some time to mull over the final finish of the kit.  I’ve also tried out on my test piece Vulcan some alternative whites, and, all have failed to appeal to me, all appearing to be more of a creamy white. That means I sticking to the  pure white I’ve be running with. So, after a session or two with some micro mesh I’ve now added some more white. Firstly the micro mesh, when I last sprayed the model the overall feel felt very rough even though it was very nicely glossy. Micro mesh coming in grades from 1800 - 12000  will help out modellers no end.  1800 being a very smooth version of wet n dry and 12000 being almost slick. I’ve polished down the paint with 3600 , it’s made everything lovely and smooth. ( Very good at removing ‘orange peal paint finish’  ) This time off model , distracted by a base, gave me time to mull over the finish.  To which, my patchy white finish has had another white over spray added, it’s now a little bit more solid white.  

One thing I’ve just completed is finishing the four pylons in white.

spacer.png

Masking tape off and out of focus.

spacer.png

Really starting to float my boat.

spacer.png

When I get home tomoz after some O.T , then I’ve three and a bit days to complete this kit, time to pull my finger out ........... just some decals, and a few details..... time to get my head in the game.... 

Until next time, everyone stay very safe.          😉

• Like 3

Hello everyone.         Small model - BIG UPDATE.

The last couple of days have seen me pressing home getting on with need to move this model along. A little bit more white paint added, some gloss varnish, and then the fun bit. 

Decaling in three parts: the kit decals, only the stencils were used, and there not the best. Not a single one are correct, but, as the kit is more of a what-if then they’ll do, there a little over size and the wrong colour.  The Xtradecal Belverly 105 Sqn have given the kit some much added colour, had TSR2 gone into service the model is depicting what a 81 Sqn A/C would look like. Finally the Xtradecal Eurofighter decals, the Wing Commander emblems are a touch too small to look appealing and the Johnny Walker art looking a little bit weak. 

This year’s defence review.

spacer.png

Now with a little list of things to do, when I’ve finished my shift pattern this week I’ll have full sails. One thing less to do the four wing pylons have been added.   😃

spacer.png

That’s all for now, stay safe.    😉

• Like 5

Hello everyone.              Small model - final update. 😲  ok. 😋

So, at close to six months it’s nearly that time to close this chapter of my modelling. 

With the aid of some photos I’m going to show you what I’ve got to do before the model progresses to that hopefully satisfying Ready For Inspection.

spacer.png

If I’m really honest I was loving the models satin finish, but, a top coat has to be applied, and for many years now my go to product has been Alclad Klear Coat Light Sheen. The two photos show roughly what I’m after, with the L/H Hawk being a little too shiney (the paint finishers possibly used a little to much harder) and the R/H Hawk being completely flat. The RAF Cosford TSR2 XR220 is in its original paint finish and it’s definitely got a sheen to it. 

spacer.png

How old school am I, I don’t have a photo scanner so I can’t do these digitally......and at least two of them are the property of someone else.  All five show details I’ve got to reproduce, just at the point of the taileron is a thin panel, it’s on the kit and XR219 had it as bare metal. As we know XR220 was finished with a different type of paint and it’s not show here, so, how would production A/C of faired?     In the mix all TSR2’s had many small circles over the skin and this rare top shot photo shows some of these.     Another rare photo shows the ‘original black box recorder’  ( the modern equivalent CSMU crash survivable  memory unit) I’ve never found out why it has an explosive triangle. 

spacer.png

spacer.png
Yes you’re reading things correctly.  🤔 Now, for the some nine months I’ve been scratching my head, I’ve really fancied some pitot statics.   Would you believe it , just the other day Hannants received some of these, yes for something else, but with a little rework they’re do and the antenna in the drawing will be put to use as well.

spacer.png

This is XR222, beware of drawings and museums this shot shows panel differences.
spacer.png

spacer.png

Nav lights, the wing tip lights in real life were no more than 2” so, at 1/144 they’re near impossible to reproduce this means in all probability the whole panel will have to be coloured. The top red anti col light officially sits under the new ‘ Rapidly Blooming Window’ , so, do I position it on top of the dispenser or just a panel or two rear wards?  The lower clear anti col light at 1/144 really won’t show up, again another compromise may well be to use red.  The fin also needs a clear lens....... Thankfully the CMK lenses are so small the smallest ones will have to suffice.
spacer.png

Even at 1/144 I’m not going to compromise on the details, two oil drains- lwr rear fuselage.......
spacer.png

The little square panel with a hole in it.... should have a roll sensor in it. With the smallest wire I have this will be a challenge to reproduce.

spacer.png

Photo evidence is what I like. You won’t find many photos showing the pitot probe. The kit pitot is not even close to real, but, scale plastic just cannot complete with Master. 
spacer.png

And again museum troubles...... not helpful.

spacer.png

That’s me signing off, I’ve got to give everyone who’s taken time to support me a big BIG thank you. 🤗

😉.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...