No. 072 (#80227) 1:72 Fieseler Storch Fi 156 / MS-500

vppelt68

Bonjour et ca va?

I spent the last night sweating the possible outcome of entering a Classic GB with Dave and Pat as hosts :rofl2:. My track record with these guys isn´t that glorious. To be honest, the B-26 Marauder I chose for the Frog GB last year was a dog, and I like cats. Since I had to keep up the appearance, I ended up bashing that Widowmaker together as an Obsolete Kit as a Blitzbuild and built As/like A Kid, thus I did kinda finished four GB entries with it, didn´t it :hmmm:.

I´m counting on Wez, Heather Kay and JeroenS to keep me straight this time! After all, this time the kit that has been lurking in my stash for many years appears to be very nice one; and small.

2020-10-05_10-40-32

The Heller Storch kit dates back to 1976. My kit is a Heller HUMBROL rebox from 1986. The molds appear to have been still in good shape, as there are no visible flash or mold flaws.

2020-10-05_10-41-35

The kit is still in its original, sealed plastic bag. It looks like a typical kit of its age. The clear parts look clear, like they should be. I have a Peewit mask set designed for the Smer version of the Storch on its way from Sisumodels, but as the Smer appears to be another Heller rebox I think they should fit.

2020-10-05_10-42-42

"Contains... ...easy to follow pictorial instructions", it says on the box. I think I agree with that. Luckily I won´t need the French roundels, some of which are out of register. The German markings aren't problem-free either, as they lack the national marking from the rudder and the underwing id code is wrong, K-Y as it should be Y-Y. We are very happy to have fellow Britmodellers like Neil Page a.k.a FalkeEins who can provide us with a tonload of information, both as pics and as text. It´s all behind this link: http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/search/label/Fieseler Fi 156. Thanks Neil!

2020-10-05_10-43-07

Here are the He-HU painting instructions. I´ll rather go by the pics in the link above. No white lower wingtips, no white rudder and some difference in how to paint those landing gear struts etc. Adieu to the green camouflage too, but some brown for its replacement will be in order.

All set to go, then? No way. There´s a STGB He 111 to be finished first. Then I have a BoB Bf 110 to finish and the four MTO Ju 88:s yet unstarted, but... let´s see what happens :winkgrin:. V-P

• Like 7

Great to see you V-P

A Storch is always a very welcome addition to any GB, and seeing another Humbrol boxing just adds one more bit of variety !

Is yours going to be the desert scheme ?

Besy of luck with this one.

Regarding unfinished build, I have no room to talk as I have reposted my He111 in the MTO GB, as I didn't even start it in the He111 STGB !

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

I was very tempted in Finnishing this - Ilmavoimat had two Storchs, one of them still remaining at the Aviation Museum in Vantaa - but the MTO/Africa theme is just too strong atm! Haha, regarding your Einkle, I´m very close to asking Patrice whether my BoB Bf 110 would be eligible to be transferred to the MTO GB too. V-P

Kesälomaa 2013 028

Kesälomaa 2013 029

• Like 7

Aw, this is a fiddly model but one that has been missing here so far. Great! I remember building the Airfix Storch when I was a youngster and it nearly drove me to an early exitus...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Aw, this is a fiddly model but one that has been missing here so far. Great! I remember building the Airfix Storch when I was a youngster and it nearly drove me to an early exitus...

But we did not have quick setting Tamiya extra thin back then! With Britfix 77, I could never wait long enough for the "tiny applied amount" to cure properly; thus all my landing gear usually became self-retracting :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So good to see you on here V.P (and everywhere else) so it seems by that backlog of kits! Never mind, you are among friends and fellow culprits so carry on my friend. I sometimes wonder if there are too many GB’s in a one year calendar although think we are our own worst enemies most of the time. Be careful with those PeeWit masks, in my experience the backing was extremely sticky. 

Cheers and all the best chewing on all that plastic.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Be careful with those PeeWit masks, in my experience the backing was extremely sticky. 

Ah, maybe I just get bad batches, Dave ;(. I've used them on my Super Mystere, my Fouga Magister and my current Harvard and they always start peeling witin an hour of application :(. If they didnt offer masks for types that others dont I wouldn't use them.

Martin

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the Big Heinkel was finished and it was time to focus on the little Fieseler. I thought I´d go my usual way, attaching tailplanes to fuselage, assembling the interior and the wing halves separately. So far so good. The wing halves will next receive their brown and blue paint before I assemble them. I did fondle the larger, one piece port half of the greenhouse and came up with a decision to start adding them only when the fuselage is buttoned up. Otherwise I might end up lining them incorrectly. It´s a nice little kit, funny thing though that the hard and brittleish plastic is not that eager to react with TET than all the other kits so far. It does, but not so fast than the others.

Here´s one flickr newsprint filtered pic of what I did last night. The b/w brought out some details better than the original in full colour - all different shades of white, actually! V-P

2020-10-26_08-37-54

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

I'm enjoying the alternative approach to building the same kit. I left the mass balances to last I as I figured I would snap them off! It looks good.

I usually manage to keep the details attached clean plastic to plastic, thus before they are painted, quite well intact. On the other hand, I`m not too good at fixing a solid join when there is already paint on the surfaces. I need to develop that basic skill somehow! V-P

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2020 at 10:30, vppelt68 said:

I usually manage to keep the details attached clean plastic to plastic, thus before they are painted, quite well intact. On the other hand, I`m not too good at fixing a solid join when there is already paint on the surfaces. I need to develop that basic skill somehow! V-P

Hi V-P

You appear to have been neglecting this poor Storch in favour of some of your other builds :nono:

Someone has to stand up for the poor thing to make sure it gets it's fair share of your time.

Unless of course you've finished it and forgotten to tell us ? :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi V-P

How are you, just a bit worried about the poor Storch !

I assume you dont have IKEA's in Finland so you have had to go out into the forest and cut down your own trees to make this new kitchen of yours !

Come on mate "let's be 'aving you !"

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Yes sir, I read your message and went searching for the Storch - and I found it! I then painted a second layer of Afrikabraun or whatever on wing upper surfaces and the tail, and light green-grey in the cockpit parts. Should be able to button her up later tonight, and assemble the wing halves too. Thanks for the push, Pat :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Yes sir, I read your message and went searching for the Storch - and I found it! I then painted a second layer of Afrikabraun or whatever on wing upper surfaces and the tail, and light green-grey in the cockpit parts. Should be able to button her up later tonight, and assemble the wing halves too. Thanks for the push, Pat :thumbsup:

Great to hear you are well, GBs wouldn't be the same without you mate !

Take care

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I missed finishing the Storch during the GB, but still plan to get it done before the Africa GB begins next Saturday. A few progress pics:

2021-02-15_11-03-04

Wing lower surfaces were painted with Hu 247 and then drybrushed with Hu 65. The uppers are Hu 249 with Hu 118, not yet drybrushed. I replaced the Heller supplied canopy rear roof MG with a superior ICM part left over from a Do 17 build. Not strictly out-of-the-box build anymore :laugh:

IMG_20210216_105716

Having just masked and painted a Bf 110 "greenhouse" in the same scale, I must say the Messerschmitt canopy is tiny and the Storch canopy is HUGE! The seat section looks cramped, though.

Peewit canopy masks for the Smer kit, which should be a Heller copy, fit nicely. The clear bits needed only a nip here and a nip there to find their locations. Actually it's pretty defficult to see the clear part fit before they get some paint, so I may be happy too soon... A layer of Hu 31 on the framing next, then some braun brown. V-P

• Like 2