Ford trimotor, a corrugated wonder - Modified Airfix 1/72nd

Oh my, this one is just breathtaking. It sure looked wonderful as it took shape in the build thread, but the finished model with photography to match is really something else.

You have created a master piece from that old and rather crude kit.

Modelling work of a very high grade!

Wonderful.

• Thanks 1

An absolutely spectacular result, Claudio, and the open mail stowage is such an unusual point of interest. The superb photography does the model full justice (I wish we had the same weather here...). Just when I think I've seen the best Moa creation yet, another one comes along to push its way to the front of the crowd!

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Oh my, this one is just breathtaking. It sure looked wonderful as it took shape in the build thread, but the finished model with photography to match is really something else.

You have created a master piece from that old and rather crude kit.

Modelling work of a very high grade!

Wonderful.

Thanks Jörgen.

Exceedingly kind words.

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

An absolutely spectacular result, Claudio, and the open mail stowage is such an unusual point of interest. The superb photography does the model full justice (I wish we had the same weather here...). Just when I think I've seen the best Moa creation yet, another one comes along to push its way to the front of the crowd!

Jon

So much kindness, thank you sir!

All the merrier if I can bring a smile into someone's life.

6 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

It sure looked wonderful as it took shape in the build thread

Clearly, I would do well to follow your build threads (if I had more browsing time); since your skills, @Moa, are well worth learning from.

Your build is a fitting tribute to a "golden oldie" I have always liked the look of.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kapam said:

Clearly, I would do well to follow your build threads (if I had more browsing time); since your skills, @Moa, are well worth learning from.

Your build is a fitting tribute to a "golden oldie" I have always liked the look of.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Very kind words, sir. And yes, we need a 50-hour day if we we want to properly enjoy our modeling endeavors.

6 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Absolutely stunning work Moa. Also I admire all that dedicated hard work to make it look so well done. Fantastic photography & a good write up as well.

What paints did you use in the end?

Martin

Thanks, Martin.

For the overall finish I used Alclad grey primer, a base of gloss black enamel (Humbrol or Model Master, do not recall which, any will do) and Alclad II Aluminum paints. For the first time I used a clear Alclad Aqua gloss top coat. The latter rendered a too glossy finish, but fortunately it toned itself down a bit after a few days.

The Alclad paints that gave me trouble were for smaller parts, steel and such, that as described were crap. I did not yet buy replacements for those, but noticed that like many other modelers, many of my "darker" Alclad paints are now a useless mess, a total waste of money.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

Thanks, Martin.

For the overall finish I used Alclad grey primer, a base of gloss black enamel (Humbrol or Model Master, do not recall which, any will do) and Alclad II Aluminum paints. For the first time I used a clear Alclad Aqua gloss top coat. The latter rendered a too glossy finish, but fortunately it toned itself down a bit after a few days.

The Alclad paints that gave me trouble were for smaller parts, steel and such, that as described were crap. I did not yet buy replacements for those, but noticed that like many other modelers, many of my "darker" Alclad paints are now a useless mess, a total waste of money.

Thanks for that info regarding use of Alclad, I've got some, same as you & have mostly painted detail parts with Alclad. I have had one total disaster using both their grey primer & their gloss black, which I found repelled the metal paint! So I can partly agree with you about your opinions regarding Alclad, but I might end up risking another kit with their paint!

Ever since I've either used Vallejo Metal Colour or the MiG acrylics, which are OK but look a bit flat. There's something not metally enough about them!

You certainly got on well with that overall aluminium tone.

Oh & finally I was impressed with those front engine faces. Had you refined the kit parts or did you remake them out of new material?

17 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks for that info regarding use of Alclad, I've got some, same as you & have mostly painted detail parts with Alclad. I have had one total disaster using both their grey primer & their gloss black, which I found repelled the metal paint! So I can partly agree with you about your opinions regarding Alclad, but I might end up risking another kit with their paint!

Ever since I've either used Vallejo Metal Colour or the MiG acrylics, which are OK but look a bit flat. There's something not metally enough about them!

You certainly got on well with that overall aluminium tone.

Oh & finally I was impressed with those front engine faces. Had you refined the kit parts or did you remake them out of new material?

Just to be clear: all the lighter, shinier Alclad hues (polished aluminium, aluminium, chrome, etc.) work perfectly,  and I will keep using them.

The ones that are crap or turn into crap are the darker tones, that have a thicker, grainier consistency.

Alclad Gloss Black is also trash, stay away from it, I have ruined many a model trying to use it.

Recently I tried their Gloss grey base, and that worked perfectly.

So it's not the brand, but some if their products.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

The wing engines are the kit's, just the same paint, gloss enamel (not Alclad) and then Alclad polished aluminium, toned down slightly with plain aluminium.

The center engine is an aftermarket item, and the shield is a leftover white metal Aeroclub item, polished by hand.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

Just to be clear: all the lighter, shinier Alclad hues (polished aluminium, aluminium, chrome, etc.) work perfectly,  and I will keep using them.

The ones that are crap or turn into crap are the darker tones, that have a thicker, grainier consistency.

Alclad Gloss Black is also trash, stay away from it, I have ruined many a model trying to use it.

Recently I tried their Gloss grey base, and that worked perfectly.

So it's not the brand, but some if their products.

Thanks Moa, that confirms what I thought & also what I've heard from elsewhere. I've even heard people using Tamiya X1 instead of Alclad Gloss black as a base. I should experiment more with different products, but experiments get in the way of building kits! 😆

• Like 1