B-17F "Memphis Belle" Revell 1/72

It looks spot on in all respects.

The exhausts look particularly realistic.

Some very sharp work on the ball turret too - even with the Eduard masks, I find that area to be problematic,

Michael

• Like 1

Wow that's just fantastic 👍 The finishing, detailing and weathering are just sublime. Really must build a B17 at some point having seen several on here recently. I can empathize with the Vallejo primer....bought a job lot least year and only used it once! Terrible stuff as you cannot sand it down like you say. Too rubbery 🙁

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :worthy: Much better than what I get from the wife! Well I didn't bother to show her this time 😏

Pleased (?) that everyone else seems to be having the same experience with Vallejo Airbrush Primer. I was thinking that it's probably very good for miniatures for example, where you know you won't have any problems that need correcting but you have to be 100% certain the finish is spot on or it's just a let down. Having said that, it does provide a nice base for the paint. 

I spent a while finding the right reference material for the exhausts as I wanted a 'flown 25 missions' look with leaking fluid and rust/burn colours:

https://www.airspacemag.com/photocontest/detail/people-planes/b-17-turbocharger/

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/38978098@N03/3638006631/

I also spent some time researching the interior colours as I wasn't convinced with the interior green that the instructions state and you see recreated... I used this as a reference:

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/11/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-i/

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/18/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-ii/

Hope they're of use and that I don't get told off for linking!

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful!

You've totally captured the typically battle-worn look of bombers of the "Mighty 8th" and others.

:goodjob::clap2:

8 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Much better than what I get from the wife!

Yeah, I get similar reactions from my Missus.

But, hey, at least she hasn't told me to stop building, and I lover for that!

• Haha 1

Interesting point about the Vallejo Primer. I've used it on a couple of models recently . I did thin it down quite a bit but I managed to get a nice base. I did put a stupid finger print on a couple of areas! I removed them and blended the area around the repair isopropanol alcohol then resprayed. This worked for me. I did let the primer dry for over a week which seemed to make it hard enough. I don't recall sanding it though.  I'm still learning of course. Taken a close interest in your supercharger exhaust colour! I have some Rail Match Light Rust enamel which is about 20 odd years old which I intend using. Your model is excellent quality so thanks for sharing it with us! I'm doing the same kit as we speak I just hope I can do it with such aplomb as you have. I have an old tin of Humbrol  enamel OD which has a fantastic tinge of brown in it.. I did a Liberator in this.. hand painted! Wish I had enough to do my B17 as well ,as it to my eyes , is the 'right' weathered ,faded look and the correct shade. Having said that we all have our interpretations of colours. In the real world wartime conditions generated a whole spectrum of shades to meet the colour specifications. As modellers we can interpret them as we feel . You turned a great model in to an outstanding one if I may say so. I take heed of the slightly coloured Matt coat to get the desired effect! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Interesting point about the Vallejo Primer. I've used it on a couple of models recently . I did thin it down quite a bit but I managed to get a nice base. I did put a stupid finger print on a couple of areas! I removed them and blended the area around the repair isopropanol alcohol then resprayed. This worked for me. I did let the primer dry for over a week which seemed to make it hard enough. I don't recall sanding it though.  I'm still learning of course. Taken a close interest in your supercharger exhaust colour! I have some Rail Match Light Rust enamel which is about 20 odd years old which I intend using. Your model is excellent quality so thanks for sharing it with us! I'm doing the same kit as we speak I just hope I can do it with such aplomb as you have. I have an old tin of Humbrol  enamel OD which has a fantastic tinge of brown in it.. I did a Liberator in this.. hand painted! Wish I had enough to do my B17 as well ,as it to my eyes , is the 'right' weathered ,faded look and the correct shade. Having said that we all have our interpretations of colours. In the real world wartime conditions generated a whole spectrum of shades to meet the colour specifications. As modellers we can interpret them as we feel . You turned a great model in to an outstanding one if I may say so. I take heed of the slightly coloured Matt coat to get the desired effect! 

Thanks so much, looking forward to seeing your go at the kit. Are you doing a WIP?

I had sleepless nights because of that OD... or was it the 5 month old waking me up? 😂 Despite years of modelling, I always forget that the gloss cote always darkens but the flat always lightens. Case of holding ones nerve. Tamiya’s OD (XF-62) is a good colour for an out of the factory and larger scale model IMO but definitely needs lightening for any form of weathering or 1/72. I mixed with Khaki (XF-49) and sprayed on top to weather mine.

I enjoyed doing the turbo chargers exhausts. A base of brown with lighter variations then some neat orange on the edges did it for me.

• Like 1

Wow, love it. Paintwork is spot on. I use Vallejo primer and the only time I've had an issue with it not standing up to sanding was when I forgot to was the pieces before I started the build and I put it down to the releasing agent causing the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks so much, looking forward to seeing your go at the kit. Are you doing a WIP?

I had sleepless nights because of that OD... or was it the 5 month old waking me up? 😂 Despite years of modelling, I always forget that the gloss cote always darkens but the flat always lightens. Case of holding ones nerve. Tamiya’s OD (XF-62) is a good colour for an out of the factory and larger scale model IMO but definitely needs lightening for any form of weathering or 1/72. I mixed with Khaki (XF-49) and sprayed on top to weather mine.

I enjoyed doing the turbo chargers exhausts. A base of brown with lighter variations then some neat orange on the edges did it for me.

Hello. Victory . Yes indeed i have made some progress on my Revell 1:72 B17G . i'm just getting round to taking some pics and doing a WIP.! 

• Like 2