799 - 1/8 Citroën 15 Six Traction Avant

Bengalensis

1 hour ago, cherry268 said:

I have run out of superlatives to describe this build so I'll start again

Absolutely stunning

What that man said! ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

The fit of the doors is absolute perfection, as is the look of the tyres. They look just spot on and very, very realistic.

Love the shot of the Citroen up on the Tamiya paint bottles. Just reminded me of the old joke here about cars up on bricks....but I won't go there 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Absolutely stunning

Same here!

This is more like miniaturised car restoration than modelling, and not helping the itch I have to own one of these one day! (1:1 scale)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Absolutely stunning

5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

What that man said! ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

The fit of the doors is absolute perfection, as is the look of the tyres. They look just spot on and very, very realistic.

Love the shot of the Citroen up on the Tamiya paint bottles. Just reminded me of the old joke here about cars up on bricks....but I won't go there 🤣

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Same here!

This is more like miniaturised car restoration than modelling, and not helping the itch I have to own one of these one day! (1:1 scale)

Thanks a lot guys, I'm most grateful for your kind praise!

The tyres do look better than I expected, I have always been suspicious of them when I have seen them in the box.

I've been planning to add a Citroën DS21 to my 1/1 collection for some time now, but the more I've worked on this one and studied references I must admit that a 15 Six would squeeze in very well...

The wheels were fitted this morning with five small drops of epoxy each. The joints are very small so I let that cure for a couple of hours before I let the car down on its wheels for a while.

15_598.jpg

15_599.jpg

Ride height and stance looks pretty good and the car supports its own weight through the suspension parts with all wheels sitting with good wheel alignment. The front end feels quite flimsy though, and I may solidify all ball joints with small amounts of CA later on. The rear end feels quite strong on the other hand. I'm not so sure it's healthy in the long run to have the car sitting without added supports as the suspension parts may sag over time. I'll have to think about this.

15_600.jpg

As the wheels were now securely fitted the hubcaps could be mounted, at last.

15_601.jpg

15_602.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

And some nice bonus images in the reflections too! 🤩

That didn't go un-noticed with me either. E-Type and couldn't quite make out the other, Mustang? Bit disappointed there wasn't an Austin Maxi though. 🤣

• Like 1

@Heather Kay @JeroenS @rob Lyttle @fightersweep @TonyW @wimbledon99

Thanks you very much for all the kind comments and support, it's much appreciated.

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

And some nice bonus images in the reflections too! 🤩

16 hours ago, fightersweep said:

That didn't go un-noticed with me either. E-Type and couldn't quite make out the other, Mustang? Bit disappointed there wasn't an Austin Maxi though. 🤣

E-type indeed, and a '65 Corvette with fuel injection. It's good with some nice choice when entering the garage to pick the drive for the day... 😎

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

All that effort has rewarded you with a magnificent model. It's been an absolute pleasure to have followed the build.

A couple of daylight shots would be nice, if that is possible?  

Thanks a lot Tony, glad you enjoy.

Will get some better photos when it's finished. Dreadful weather here right now though, including some of that horrible snow. But I will sort something out, and call in an old friend later on who knows what he's doing with a camera...

9 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

:wow:This has been such a pleasure to watch. Like I said prior; Modelling Mastery!! You are a very gifted individual - Outstanding!! :wow:

Thanks a lot, you are most kind, I'm happy you have enjoyed.

I'll admit I have some skills in some areas of modelling, but what I have learned to make many more can also learn. Hopefully my builds on BM can provide a bit inspiration, as I pick from other threads.

• Like 6

Now it's not quite finished yet... Today UPS got their fingers out and delivered the little package of plates. They look well printed, better than expected. Unfortunately the rear plate arrived cracked, and that is not the fault of UPS in any way. It should not be too difficult to repair though. I will give these a wash and spray a coat of thin 2K surfacer and see what comes out.

15_603.jpg

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Aw, shame about that crack, I'm sure you'll be able to fix it. Doesn't the car need side mirrors? As a restored car, I mean 😇

It wouldn't be a problem to drive around without any side mirror for this year a car today, at least over here, even my restored Dauphines from 1962 or R4S 1963 were driven without side mirrors. But the single rear light would be more of a discussion... I have considered rear light options, but not done anything, at least not yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

It wouldn't be a problem to drive around without any side mirror for this year a car today, at least over here, even my restored Dauphines from 1962 or R4S 1963 were driven without side mirrors. But the single rear light would be more of a discussion... I have considered rear light options, but not done anything, at least not yet.

That's interesting to hear. I've hardly driven it since our Scottish trip to Knockhill Circuit last summer but my 'car' is a 1959 VW T1 Kombi, converted to a campervan (aren't they all?). There are so many modern features missing on old cars, and if it didn't have it when it left the factory, it doesn't by law need them now. Which is a little crazy ... We don't have hazard lights, and I've lost count of the times this wreck has broken down on the side of the road or motorway 🙄 . No seat belts, no reversing light, no indicators (It has trafficators, or semaphores. Already way out of date even in 1959)
I can't remember about the side mirrors though? Mine didn't have any fitted when I got it, not even a rear view mirror!

5539413193_7522456c4a_w.jpg

busted by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Are the plates the last step of the build, or is there still other things that need to be done?

The plates should be the last step, I can't remember anything else right now, and I'm out of other parts to fit.

8 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

That's interesting to hear. I've hardly driven it since our Scottish trip to Knockhill Circuit last summer but my 'car' is a 1959 VW T1 Kombi, converted to a campervan (aren't they all?). There are so many modern features missing on old cars, and if it didn't have it when it left the factory, it doesn't by law need them now. Which is a little crazy ... We don't have hazard lights, and I've lost count of the times this wreck has broken down on the side of the road or motorway 🙄 . No seat belts, no reversing light, no indicators (It has trafficators, or semaphores. Already way out of date even in 1959)
I can't remember about the side mirrors though? Mine didn't have any fitted when I got it, not even a rear view mirror!

5539413193_7522456c4a_w.jpg

busted by Mike, on Flickr

Nice drive!

It's the same over here, no need to retrofit things, although many fit side mirrors, indicators and such anyway for the practicality of it. But I think single rear lights is an issue, although not 100% sure, and I've not yet had to tackle that specific problem myself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John_W said:

Truly beautiful. Even enough give in the tyres to sit properly. Long term, it may be the tyres that are the weak point, not the suspension as the "rubber" may perish under load.

Thanks a lot. The tires gives away enough so there's no real need to add any flats. But you're quite right; in the long run it may well be a problem with the tyres more than the suspension itself. I've never been a friend of soft vinyl tires, give we well cast resin any day...

I will make a display support for the normal display at home, I'm happy enough that it can sit on it's own during a day at a show, and they are not many.

• Like 1

I washed the prints clean and repaired the crack in the rear plate, then did a little sanding and sprayed surfacer this morning. The surfacer has been sanded here and I have just sprayed the backside of the plates light grey. The M-sign was covered with BMF, it will be easier to wipe off the BMF during painting of the lower surfaces.

15_604.jpg

The first coat of red was brushed on. I way have to give it a second coat tomorrow.

15_605.jpg

• Like 9

Sorry just having a sit down trying to deal with the thought of either an E-type or a 65 Corvette as my daily drive !

Shame you had to CA the wheels on the Citroen, it's going to make changing those brake shoes a b*gger of a job when you need to service it !

Congratulations it looks amazing  :thumbsup:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Shame you had to CA the wheels on the Citroen, it's going to make changing those brake shoes a b*gger of a job when you need to service it !

Cheers Pat 

Like when you have a flat tire and you can't remember where you put the locking wheel nut head.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry just having a sit down trying to deal with the thought of either an E-type or a 65 Corvette as my daily drive !

Thanks a lot! Let's hope the brakes were built and painted well enough to last long 😁

9 hours ago, John_W said:

Like when you have a flat tire and you can't remember where you put the locking wheel nut head.

Indeed, not sure what is worst, glue or loosing the tool...

9 hours ago, Bjorn said:

And the "Motormännen" badge as icing on the cake! Absolutely brilliant!!!

Thanks Björn, I felt it just had to be there, it belongs to a car like this.

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

An E type and a Corvette you say...

👍