799 - 1/8 Citroën 15 Six Traction Avant

Bengalensis

And, my catch up is done. Still hugely impressive, and I love how you dealt with the bonnet hinge.

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

I'm very happy if I bring bring some joy with the updates

Mate, I think Christmas just arrived again. No physical presents for me but my eyes are very happy indeed!

• Like 1

To have any bonnet fit properly when closed seems to be a difficult task for many car modellers. Gaps and raised edges are everywhere.

To have gloss black panels all line up, fitting straight and flush, and then open and close using real stays really is a Masterclass in doing things to perfection. Superb work.

Tony.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, my catch up is done. Still hugely impressive, and I love how you dealt with the bonnet hinge.

Mate, I think Christmas just arrived again. No physical presents for me but my eyes are very happy indeed!

Thanks a lot Pete, you are most kind as always. I'm very glad to provide a second Christmas. Having those two bonnet halves installed is enough Christmas presents for myself.

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

To have any bonnet fit properly when closed seems to be a difficult task for many car modellers. Gaps and raised edges are everywhere.

To have gloss black panels all line up, fitting straight and flush, and then open and close using real stays really is a Masterclass in doing things to perfection. Superb work.

Thanks a lot Tony, I'm overwhelmed by the kind praise.

Opening panels on car models is not something I usually enjoy. Bad fitting panels spoils so many otherwise very nicely built models, and I often try to avoid them unless something out of the ordinary interesting is resting underneath. In this case I had less of a choice; I want to take this opportunity and build - at last - what is for myself the peak of classic Heller kits, and do it some justice, so I have to somehow deal with those separate panels.

BTW, I've meant to comment this before; I just love your avatar. Kind of wraps up much of my life and views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The doors have been sanded smooth and then sprayed black and glossy during the afternoon.

15_552.jpg

Humbrol gloss black didn't quite give me the surface I felt I needed for the Alclad Chrome on the bumpers. It always does, but not on these relatively large areas, apparently. So I gave them a 1200 grit sanding and a session of 2K clear.

15_553.jpg

And at this point - for the first time during this project - I found I couldn't work on anything else on this model while paint dries, unless I want to compromise the assembly sequence I have planned for the last parts.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

There's no need...... 

We're all here!! 

😊☺️🤭😀☺️😯😀😁🤩😉🤓🤔😍

Too right! This has been an epic display of Jedi like modelling skills, and don't get me started on the paint finishes Jorgen achieves. I think I'll give this nonsense up, chuck my stash in the wheelie bin and have a cry in a quiet corner somewhere. 😭🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@JeroenS @rob Lyttle @fightersweep Thanks a lot for your very kind praise.

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Too right! This has been an epic display of Jedi like modelling skills, and don't get me started on the paint finishes Jorgen achieves. I think I'll give this nonsense up, chuck my stash in the wheelie bin and have a cry in a quiet corner somewhere. 😭🤣

No you're not, instead you pick the first car kit up and say to yourself "If this guy can do this, it can't be so very difficult, I should be able to do it as well!" and then you set off going for it. 👍

19 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

No you're not, instead you pick the first car kit up and say to yourself "If this guy can do this, it can't be so very difficult, I should be able to do it as well!" and then you set off going for it. 👍

I feel all inspired now. I do have a small stash of car kits, even though I haven't built a car kit since I was a teenager. However, I've entered the French Fancy 2 GB, and for that, I'll throw in an Italeri 1/24 Renault 5 and give it a go. I'm tempted by the Ebbro Renault 4 GTL, but what I'd really like is the old Heller 1/20 Renault 16. I'm guessing that's a rare one. Either way, I promise to give it a go.

Steve

PS: By the way, I haven't forgotten my Revell Routemaster conversion that you kindly sent me the stencils for. That one stalled when I got side tracked by the 1/12 Routemaster from Hachette. It took over two years to build.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I feel all inspired now. I do have a small stash of car kits, even though I haven't built a car kit since I was a teenager. However, I've entered the French Fancy 2 GB, and for that, I'll throw in an Italeri 1/24 Renault 5 and give it a go. I'm tempted by the Ebbro Renault 4 GTL, but what I'd really like is the old Heller 1/20 Renault 16. I'm guessing that's a rare one. Either way, I promise to give it a go.

Steve

PS: By the way, I haven't forgotten my Revell Routemaster conversion that you kindly sent me the stencils for. That one stalled when I got side tracked by the 1/12 Routemaster from Hachette. It took over two years to build.

Perfect, that's the way to go. The Italeri R5 will put up a little fight with the bonnet fit and wheel alignment, but all that can be fixed to make a very nice R5. The Ebbro R4's are lovely. The Heller R16 is a little icon and quite rare. I built it a couple of years ago, it is nice but a product of its time and needs some care to come together well with all it's separate body panels. A tip is to search for the later issue by Union of Japan who used the Heller tool in the 80's.

Ah, the Routemaster, a very enjoyable build it was. It's pretty large in 1/24 and must be massive in 1/12...

The doors were masked for the spraying of the inner window frames. Card copies of the windows were inserted to take care of the inside section.

15_555.jpg

Again some waiting for paint to dry...

15_556.jpg

UPS should have delivered the 3D printed license plates during the day, but this time they choose to call my address "incorrect or non-existing" (according to the tracking) despite having many times before found this exact address perfectly during last year, and during some years before, so they didn't show up...

• Like 5

Nice work on the doors! They don't look too far away from completion now. 

Thanks for the tip on the Renault 16. I shall see if I can find one. I've always liked the R16 for some reason. Thanks for the tips on the Italeri R5 as well. I will take extra care in those areas.

8 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Ah, the Routemaster, a very enjoyable build it was. It's pretty large in 1/24 and must be massive in 1/12...

The 1/12 Routemaster is massive, and literally weighs a ton. I don't know if you saw it, but I posted it in the vehicle RFI section. 

Steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

UPS should have delivered the 3D printed license plates during the day, but this time they choose to call my address "incorrect or non-existing" (according to the tracking) despite having many times before found this exact address perfectly during last year, and during some years before, so they didn't show up...

Interesting! License plates from which country? I would love to see the old Swedish ones with the county letter! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Interesting! License plates from which country? I would love to see the old Swedish ones with the county letter! :) 

I made modern Swedish ones, not the very latest ugly things, but those before in aluminium, very similar to the first modern ones from -73 onwards. The front one with a bit of twist as I would have made my own, it wouldn't be the only car I drive with home made license plates. 😎 The reason for modern plates being a restored car driven today.

But I fully agree, the classic ones with county letter are by far the most charming on a car like this. I have a file with the typical figures I often like to use in 1/24.

25 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

I made modern Swedish ones, not the very latest ugly things, but those before in aluminium, very similar to the first modern ones from -73 onwards. The front one with a bit of twist as I would have made my own, it wouldn't be the only car I drive with home made license plates. 😎 The reason for modern plates being a restored car driven today.

But I fully agree, the classic ones with county letter are by far the most charming on a car like this. I have a file with the typical figures I often like to use in 1/24.

Haha! Wonderful! Can't wait to see them!

• Like 1

After the doors had some sanding and polishing I had to mask again. It is of course possible to draw and cut masking patches manually, but since I run different CAD programmes and also now have a digital cutter I drew the ellipse for the door handle bezels and let the cutter do the job. I had to deal with the paper myself.

15_557.jpg

They were then sprayed with Alclad chrome.

15_558.jpg

First the windows were inserted in their slots, then the door handles and door locks were fitted. The construction is neither strong nor a work of precision. I cross drilled the handle shaft and the internal lock with a 0,4 mm drill and inserted metal wires to strengthen the glue joint. I have also tested the locks on the car, and after some minor adjustments they seem to work. They aren't very sturdy though, but that goes for a lot in this model...

15_559.jpg

Door cards, handles and cranks are also fitted, without much trouble. It's very tempting to install the completed doors with the hinges on the body right now, but I'm going to leave them overnight for everything to settle down.

15_560.jpg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Mannn you make it look so easy... 

Thanks Jeroen. It looks the same to me when I see people doing paint and weathering, like you, and it's always more difficult when I try...

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

If only I had 1/10th of this skill.

This is modelling cranked up to 11 on the Marshall stack,

Thanks a lot. That's the only way to use a good Marshall stack, isn't it?

• Like 1

The day started with fitting the left doors and gluing the hinge centre parts to the body. In the process the lower hinge on the rear door broke off. Not good. I have glued it back together in the correct position, and it will now dry out during the day with the other joints. We'll see how it ends up. The chrome strips have also been glued now that I could check their alignment.

15_561.jpg

• Like 5

With a few hours drying I felt the need to use the time and do the other side. I added some tape just to be safe.

15_562.jpg

Then the whole thing was turned around and the process was repeated on the right side, thankfully minus breaking a hinge.

15_563.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Oooh boy! 

To think you didn’t believe you could finish this model in time for the GB closing! Museum quality building to a deadline. Fabulous stuff. :clap:

Thanks Heather, you are most kind. I've not finished yet, but I do have hope. Not what I expected when we started, especially not with the workload I had until new year...