799 - 1/8 Citroën 15 Six Traction Avant

Bengalensis

13 hours ago, Bjorn said:

That's correct. I have the magazine somewhere, I'll see if i can find it, it was an interesting article.

If you find the copy it would be very nice to see that article again, it's a long time now since I read it.

Today I decided to try avoiding working with "real" work straight through the weekend once again, for quite some time now. We'll see if I will have to regret that, but I needed a break.

We spent the day shopping through some flea markets of old interesting stuff, with a good lunch thrown in. I just could not resist a Luxor Royal 4296 W stereo radio from the early 60´s in lovely condition. Then I got back to the work bench, expecting a relaxing late afternoon, adding the gear box top section with the front engine mount. Then I started to unravel some major problems...

First the cylinder head had to come off. You are perfectly entitled to wonder why...

15_30.jpg

Well, simply because it's a very good idea to fit it the right way around! I wasn't happy to discover it, but glad I caught it in time. Obviously I'm not paying enough attention...

I also glued the camshaft driven belt pulley. Like many other parts the pulley is intended to turn freely, but I'm not really interested in such features, that usually just results in a wobbly loose fit of the parts.

15_31.jpg

By the way, I'm into the second page of the instructions.

15_32.jpg

Looking through the parts and work that lays ahead I now discovered the next major problem. I thought the first was enough. Remember I mentioned I had checked through the full content of the kit to make sure it was complete when bought? Well, either I did a careless work checking it, or I've been careless when looking through the kit later on. Part #182, the base of the fuel pump, was nowhere to be found...

15_33.jpg

The location on the sprue was just as empty as everywhere else I searched.

15_34.jpg

Spending the rest of the evening away from the bench, listening to my "new" radio in the company of a bottle of wine or two now seemed a very tempting option...

After some thinking I decided to scratch the missing part. Using some scrap box parts, sheet styrene and Evergreen rod I had this replacement made up.

15_35.jpg

When the fuel pump eventually gets fully assembled it will look like this. I think it will do.

15_36.jpg

15_37.jpg

I then glued more parts made up from halves, so the joint lines can be taken care of when the glue is fully dry. Intake and exhaust manifolds will need quite a bit of work. This kit is no quick work.

15_38.jpg

With that done enough was enough and I retired with a first good glass of wine to let my nerves and brain rest...

Hopefully I can get a good day at the bench tomorrow, with less disasters and more progress...

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Moa said:

Another modeling masterclass. The Bauhaus was absolutely right, there is such beauty in functionality.

Hey, where is my glass of wine?

Thank you very much.

I have just poured a glass for you; Monti Garbi Valpolicella Ripasso Superiore, 2017, not very old, but good. Sadly it's a long way around the globe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More parts are being added to the engine today. So far without further mistakes or complications. I think.

15_39.jpg

It would be nice if I could reach the point tonight where I must paint everything engine related before I can continue. We shall see.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Wow, that's a lot of large bits of plastic!! Best of luck with the build; I'm buckled in for the ride  :popcorn:

Thanks, I'll need all the luck there is. I hope you will enjoy.

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Nice save on the fuel pump Jörgen!

Thanks Jeroen. It wasn't a nice discovery. It wouldn't surprise me if the part turns up soon, now that the problem is solved.

• Haha 1

I managed to stay in the modelling room for the better part of the day, ignoring calls in the back of my head to move to my office room to do real work.

After adding the generator with fan, the water pump (on the other side) and some other smaller parts I arrived at the gear and clutch linkage. Again it's all meant to be movable and at this point I have built it up like that. The reason being that I can't determine the exact positions until the engine is installed and everything connected up.

Like so many other builders of this kit I found the two long gear lever rods moulded in a softer material to be quite warped, looking chunky and not very fun. The picture is far too nice to them.

15_40.jpg

The clevis ends are quite ok, so I cut them off and drilled them out to be installed on 1 mm Evergreen rods. So far so good.

15_41.jpg

It's just that I'm lost working in this big scale. Comparing to reference photos they looked far too thin, and would indeed scale up to only 8 mm, not enough. I cut the ends off again, leaving a short amount of 1 mm rod, then drilled out holes in the end of new 1,6 mm rods.

15_42.jpg

That felt and looked much better.

15_43.jpg

The carburetor was built up from the nine parts Heller managed to squeeze into it. Intake and exhaust manifold joints cleaned up and the nuts added to the exhaust so they also overlap the intake where necessary.

15_44.jpg

Then I jumped ahead from the 3rd to the 13th page in the instructions.

15_45.jpg

The reason being that I want to include the gearbox flanges around the drive shafts in the upcoming green spraying session.

15_46.jpg

A look at the other side with the water pump installed.

15_47.jpg

With that I have actually arrived to the point where I must start painting. I have lost count on the number of parts so far, but I'm fairly sure I'm behind schedule for 25th January... But nevermind, that's still far away...

15_48.jpg

It's mostly a joy to work on this kit, and for being some 43-44 year old tools it's mighty impressive, even with its quirks here and there. Heller at its best.

• Like 11

Extraordinary work, and I agree, incredible for an old Heller kit... and even today compared to some current not so nice standards.

I am in awe imagining the labor of love of the parts maker, the time and skill it may have taken. Remarkable. Once upon a time there were companies and master makers that took their job seriously.

Progress is a relative thing, and many decades later, even with the latest technology and resources, this is perhaps inimitable nowadays, and over-simplification and not so enthralling jobs abound in the field, save some exceptions.

I built a couple of similar kits as a kid (although not as complex or precise, and badly built needless to say) a gift from a teacher, and was fascinated at how the parts were separated and covered every mechanism, like in the real thing, unlike the flattened and dubious volumes of many  kits of much later days. Not my usual subject, but what a joy to build one of these.

• Like 3

"Houston, we have a green machine". Mon Dieu, C'est magnifique! I'll pull up a chaise longue and watch in comfort.

I agree with @Moa about the detail in some old kits. I have 1960's Airfix model Railway kits that are beautifully crisp.

• Like 1

That really is an extraordinarily good kit!

Take your time, deadlines are made to be ignored in cases like this. Enjoy the build, you have waited too long to spoil it by stressing yourself over finish dates. Wherever you end up with the build by January will be just fine.

Tony.

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to get near the workbench until today, and only part of the day... better than nothing though. The first paint spray sessions have been done.

The main engine and gearbox assembly was sprayed green. First it was all sprayed thoroughly everywhere in a medium green, then I used a slightly brighter green all over in general, only in sweeping passes.

15_49.jpg

15_50.jpg

The other engine parts were also sprayed in their base colours. The black is just a base for various Alclad aluminium shades.

15_51.jpg

The Alclad colours were sprayed as soon as the black had dried.

15_52.jpg

The green got a thin gloss coat as a base for some washing and light weathering.

15_53.jpg

The decals are slightly out of register. It's not catastrophic, but in the case of the engine plate it would leave a thin clear strip at the bottom which will of course be green when the decal is applied on the engine.

15_54.jpg

All three id-plates on the sheet of course have the same problem.

15_55.jpg

I decided to first apply them to a silver decal film. It's not a perfect match, but will fix the problem ok.

15_56.jpg

There will be no excuse now to route the ignition wires wrong, as the firing order is clearly stated.

15_57.jpg

Paint still needs more drying before further work on the engine can resume. In the mean time I have spent the better part of an hour studying page three of the instructions and planning ahead for the front suspension and forward part of the chassis. It's a pretty complex part of the build.

15_58.jpg

• Like 12

On 18/10/2020 at 20:24, Moa said:

Neat and inspiring work. The complexity of that kit is incredible.

Thanks Claudio, the kit is really nice, Heller at their height perhaps. It's nice to finally be able to build it.

On 18/10/2020 at 20:35, alt-92 said:

Wow. 
I wanted to say it would almost be easier to also get a Haynes manual, but looks like there aren't any for the Traction Avant :D

Perhaps one could write that manual after the build? Having said that, I have an original 15 Six spare parts catalogue coming in any day now...

On 19/10/2020 at 16:51, JeroenS said:

Very nice Jörgen, I'm really enjoying this one. 

Thanks Jeroen, glad you like it.

• Like 2

The last two evenings I've been able to steal an hour or two for detail painting and weathering the engine parts. I also made a tiny start on the front suspension cradle. A very tiny start.

15_59.jpg

15_60.jpg

The engine has been finished off with a coat of semi gloss clear and some more or less random squirts of flat clear.

15_61.jpg

Next will be the assembly of the painted engine parts.

This will not be a heavily weathered model. I like my cars in good condition and taken care of, and this will be no exception. I'm thinking either a fairly new car, or perhaps more likely the well restored car of today.

From the options in the kit of 1948, -51 or 52 year models I'm leaning towards the 1948, with its much lighter bumpers, and the curved front bumper, as I think they fit the lines of the car better.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

15_60.jpg

The engine has been finished off with a coat of semi gloss clear and some more or less random squirts of flat clear.

Like!!

Soo... different red browns, greys and light drybrushing steel?

• Like 1

This build recalls my early days memories... My uncle had in sixties Taction Avant ("11" not "15"), which was known in Poland  under name "Citroen BL-11". This was Belgian production machine from 1950 maybe 51 or 52, anyway about 1965 it was not alder than 15 years, but looked very, very old and obsolete. They went for a honey month trip to Paris in 1968, few weeks before Soviet invasion on Czechoslovakia, what needed a lot of fantasy and efforts, and was extremely expencieve for Poles under communist times... So I look for your build with high interest!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

You do always such a realist paint job, it's amazing.

All your builds look like the real thing, not just a scale replica.

You are most kind Claudio, I wish I could come close to that. I try to learn from really talented modelers, that I see here on BM and elsewhere, showing their work, then when I sit at my bench trying to practice it, I mostly scratch my head, and dabble with my paints with little clue how to achieve myself what I have seen other do so brilliantly. I usually say I'm too much of an engineer and too little of an artist, but I'm trying...

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Like!!

Soo... different red browns, greys and light drybrushing steel?

Thanks a lot! Yes, pretty much like that. I think I did something like this: First sprayed Humbrol 113, then I stippled on Humbrol 29, Revell 381 and Revell 83, half dry, using a small piece of torn sponge. Quite roughly done. A light steel drybrush indeed, then some smearing with Tamiya rust weathering powder, and a slight touch of soot powder on the top at the exhaust ports. Something like that.

53 minutes ago, JWM said:

This build recalls my early days memories... My uncle had in sixties Taction Avant ("11" not "15"), which was known in Poland  under name "Citroen BL-11". This was Belgian production machine from 1950 maybe 51 or 52, anyway about 1965 it was not alder than 15 years, but looked very, very old and obsolete. They went for a honey month trip to Paris in 1968, few weeks before Soviet invasion on Czechoslovakia, what needed a lot of fantasy and efforts, and was extremely expencieve for Poles under communist times... So I look for your build with high interest!

Thank you for that lovely story! It must have been some extraordinary and turbulent experiences for your uncle and his wife in those days. They certainly traveled in style!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/10/2020 at 01:40, wimbledon99 said:

Wow - That build is so clean!! Take a picture on it's own and there's not a single sign that's it's a model. Outstanding!

Many thanks, I'm trying my best and if it's halfway there I'm very happy.

I got a bit of assembly done yesterday evening, up to this point. Currently I'm working on the joint between the manifolds and cylinder head which need extra attention.

15_62.jpg

I'm looking forward to a fairly undisturbed day at the workbench. Maybe even the whole weekend, at least with some luck and determination.

• Like 7