Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.9A

Bish

Alongside the Shar, i am also doing a harrier GR.9A. This will be in the Op Herrick markings.

spacer.png

I'll be adding a resin cockpit as wel as resin exhauts and intakes. First task was to fit the side to the pit and get all the pit parts painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the detail painting done the pit was fited into the nose which was then fitted to the main body of the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then got the wing fitted. There is a large gap behind the cockpit, but thats a resin piece so can't blame that on the kit. In general the fit has been very good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The Harrier is now ready for priming and painting, just got to mask off the canopy and intakes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The various doors and hatches will be painted off the kit.

While its in the paint shops, i will start on a weapons loader.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Been a while since i updated as the build slowed a bit, partly due to a painting issue. The Harrier has 3 shades of grey on it, though you can hardky distinguish the lighter 2 even in the flesh let along on the pics. I used Xtracolour for all 3 but for some reason the 3rd one took ages to dry, it was still tacky a week later. So i had to do quite a bit of repair work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I put on a coat of Aqua gloss to seal the paint before adding the decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up some weathering.

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Nice bit of work on this kit. Call me slow, but when did the RAF go to only one roundel on top and bottom?

Don

I’ve been wondering the same thing.  I have seen similar on other airforces planes.  Seems every one want to copy the yanks.  I suppose it does save a little on paint....

AW

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing.  I have seen similar on other airforces planes.  Seems every one want to copy the yanks.  I suppose it does save a little on paint....

AW

I believe it was when they changed from the large red/white/blue roundels to the smaller red/blue roundels, so late 70's early 80's

34 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

I believe it was when they changed from the large red/white/blue roundels to the smaller red/blue roundels, so late 70's early 80's

I think it's far more varied than that, and spread over 3 or more decades, for example, some RAF Vulcans had a single upper roundel from the late 70's, others carried 2 throughout till their retirement in the 80's, Grey/Green Tornadoes and Jaguars carried 2 upper throughout the 80's and 90's until transition to all grey, Tornado F3's had a mix of 1 or 2 across the light and darker grey scheme, Nimrod's carried 2 etc.

Thanks guys.

I admit i was surprised to see the roundels on just one wing, its the same of the Shar. At first i thought i was missing something. I don't build many modern British aircraft, in fact these are the most modern i have built to date and the first time i have seen the single roundels.

• 2 weeks later...

A final short update before i wrap this up. Got the GR.9 finished with a flory wash. I have gone for a rather grubby lok which i think match's the pics i found quite well. Stores were adde along with the canopy and other final bits. I used the decal for the Det cord on the canopy as i didn't have a PE set for this kit. I am not as keen on the decal as i am on the PE i used on the Shar.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just got to add some RBF tags, fit it to the base and sort out a figure.

• Like 2

Time to wrap up the Harrier. Adde some RBF tags as well as a Hasegawa USAF figure painted in UK Desert DPM. The cut of the uniform looked close enough in this scale. Figures are always a let down.

This aircraft was base at Kandahar in 2009.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for following along guys. All comments welcome.

• Like 3