Airfix 1/72nd Sea Harrier FA.2

Bish

I have never built a Harrier, but i have 5 1/72nd Airfix kits in the stash so figiured if i am doing one i might as well do 2 together. This is the Sea harrier FA.2.

spacer.png

I'll be adding an Eduard PE set and Quickboost resin exhausts.

I started out with geting the pit parts prepped and painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not a lot of detail in the pit OOB, all the instruments are added with decals. After painting i just went straight to the PE.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the pit was fitted and the fuselage put together. No fit issues here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see in the pic above that there a rim of plastic inside the intakes. I didn't know it at the time but this would be a problem. Its not suppossed to be there and will have to be removed. Its not flash as its thick plastic, and there is no indication on the instructions. As i went to fit the iner part of the intake attached to the fan i realised it neeed sanding back. I did this just enough for it to fit. But when i went to fit the outer part of the intake, i needed cutting all the way back. The left hand intake is fitted here, but not the right.

The wings did go on nicely, no issues there.

spacer.png

There was some filler needed around the intakes. tail is fitted just need to do some clean up of the filler.

spacer.png

More soon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Construction of the Shar is complete so ashide from masking the canopy and intakes, its ready for primer. After some advice from a member on another forum, i realised i had used the wrong intakes. Airfix offers 2 options but doesn't explain which option should be used for in flight or on the ground. While i was able to remove the intakes, i could not take them apart. So i ordered the resin Pavla set which was swiftly fitted. The doors and hatches will be done off the kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And while its in the paint shop, i'l get to work on a tractor for the diorama.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Thanks Stuart.I was in 2 minds about putting them on yet, but its worked out ok so far.

Its from a company in Italy called video aviation.

http://www.videoaviation.com/

Mostly 48th and 32nd stuff, but some nice 72nd ones.  I have been waiting for AIM to release theres, but could not wait any longer.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Been a while since i updated as both the harrier builds slowed a bit, partlydown to some issues with the GR.9. But here is the Shar painted and decaled and ready for some weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefylly won't be as long till the next one.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One short final update before i wrap up this build. The Shar is now finished and ready to attch to the base. I just gave it a light flory wash and the final mat coat, then adde stores, canopy and the final bits. For the canopy i used the PE Det cord which came with the Eduard PE. I atached this to the inside useing future and i much prefer this over the decal i used on the GR.9.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And i also finished the F59 tractor. This is a nice litle kit. It is missing some markings, namely the brand name of the company that makes it.

spacer.png

And i have just noticed that little chip in the yellow behind the door, so will touch that up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, i just need to add some RBF tags and fit this all to the base, and sort out a figure. Should be done by next weekend.

• Like 2

Time to wrap up the Shar. I added some RBF tags and a single figure which is from a Hasegawa USAF set just painted in RN uniform. Again, figures are what lets these 72nd dio's down. I wanted to add a ladder but the Eduard one was so fragile it just broke up as i was trying to build it. So i ordered a couple fo set of the Brengun ladders. These has 2 in each set so means i could also add one to the GR.9 and have another pair for my Hunter and another Harrier. Much easier to build. I also have a set of chocks under the rear wheels.

This aircraft was based at RNAS Yeovilton in 2006.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for following along. Its nice to foinally have a Harrier on the shelf.

All comments welcome as always.

• Like 1