Jaguar at rest query

rodenlee

Hi all

I'm about to embark on Kitty hawk's 1/48 Jaguar and am seeking advice on what flying controls bled down when the aircraft was at rest.  It appears to me that the speed brakes did...did the flaps do so to?

Thanks for any help team

Cheers

Shaun

AFAIK the Jaguar hydraulics don't "bleed down", airbrakes are selected "OUT" to allow access to the pressure refuelling point on one side and to enable the APU on the other side to be run.  Undercarriage doors sequence closed once the legs are locked in the "DOWN" position apart from those covering the area where the legs actually protrude.  The doors can be opened on the ground to allow access to the weapons control unit in the nose wheel bay and various services in the main wheel bays.  I've seen Jaguars, and images thereof, with flaps and slats  extended or retracted, the latter as an anti-FOD measure.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

AFAIK the Jaguar hydraulics don't "bleed down", airbrakes are selected "OUT" to allow access to the pressure refuelling point on one side and to enable the APU on the other side to be run.  Undercarriage doors sequence closed once the legs are locked in the "DOWN" position apart from those covering the area where the legs actually protrude.  The doors can be opened on the ground to allow access to the weapons control unit in the nose wheel bay and various services in the main wheel bays.  I've seen Jaguars, and images thereof, with flaps and slats  extended or retracted, the latter as an anti-FOD measure.

Thanks very much Stever219, that is really helpful.
Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, there was no "bleed down". From what I remember, flaps and slats were operated by screw jacks, so were locked in place.

Standard shut down was airbrakes open, flaps and slats down. The "liney" as part of the see in procedure would open the undercarriage doors using a switch just above the ground power socket.

@JagRigger would be the one to fully confirm about the hydraulic system. I was an armourer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your advice Jagrigger!

As a newbie to this site, I must say that you guys are bloody brilliant at sharing your knowledge and insights!  It says a lot about the calibre of the people on this site.

Cheers guys

Shaun

• Like 3

The flaps were moved to 'down' but not to any particular setting. It was possible to drive a rag-top Land Rover under the wing (while towing a bowser to refuel GSE)  under some Jags, but it would snag on those set to 'extra low' Don't ask me how I know this.

• Haha 9

17 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Yep, there was no "bleed down". From what I remember, flaps and slats were operated by screw jacks, so were locked in place.

Standard shut down was airbrakes open, flaps and slats down. The "liney" as part of the see in procedure would open the undercarriage doors using a switch just above the ground power socket.

@JagRigger would be the one to fully confirm about the hydraulic system. I was an armourer.

From memory of my two tours on Jags the flaps & slats were retracted on shutdown with air brakes and U/C doors open. Also, one little correction, it wasn't an APU, it was known as the microturbo. 😃

XVTonker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, xvtonker said:

Also, one little correction, it wasn't an APU, it was known as the microturbo. 😃

XVTonker

Yes quite right, only provides air to start the engines, nothing more.

Thanks for your help everyone!

So I'm planning on canopy closed ( I very rarely build open canopies), with flaps, slats. airbrakes and U'C doors all open...Hopefully that has it about right!!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Shaun

5 hours ago, xvtonker said:

From memory of my two tours on Jags the flaps & slats were retracted on shutdown with air brakes and U/C doors open. Also, one little correction, it wasn't an APU, it was known as the microturbo. 😃

XVTonker

Nope. Unless things changed over the years (as they often did). I was on them 95-2004. Flaps & slats were always down. Part of the flight servicing was to check the flap guides and rollers, also for free movement of the slat screw jack plates. All of which needed  them down.

On start up the pilot raised them and then the liney checked for symmetrical extension to 5 degrees and then full flap.

Yes  about the microturbo. I think it had a more convoluted official name, but everyone just knew it as the microturbo.

2 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Thanks for your help everyone!

So I'm planning on canopy closed ( I very rarely build open canopies), with flaps, slats. airbrakes and U'C doors all open...Hopefully that has it about right!!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Shaun

Good luck with the KH kit. There have been a few build threads in the WIP section over the years. They cover some of the glaring errors with the kit.

Late to the party - was out yesterday !

Yep - normal 'at rest' would be flaps & slats down, airbrakes open, u/c doors open and tailplanes drooped trailing edge down a bit.

On startup the pilot would select flaps up and as hyds came on they'd retract, and tailplanes would go to neutral. See-off crew would close the doors. Pilot would then go through his control checks ( liney dance anyone ? ) and during this put the flaps / slats to takeoff and close the airbrakes.

You do realise I now feel the need to walk around the office waving my arms around ?

Edited by JagRigger
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Nope. Unless things changed over the years (as they often did). I was on them 95-2004. Flaps & slats were always down. Part of the flight servicing was to check the flap guides and rollers, also for free movement of the slat screw jack plates. All of which needed  them down.

On start up the pilot raised them and then the liney checked for symmetrical extension to 5 degrees and then full flap.

Yes  about the microturbo. I think it had a more convoluted official name, but everyone just knew it as the microturbo.

You're absolutely right, I've just looked at some piccies of my tour on 31&14 Sqn's at RAF Bruggen 1980-83 and the Jags on the Muharraq site 1990-91 and the flaps & slats are in the positions you detailed. I remember having to make sure the flaps were fully up before opening the engine doors.

9 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Late to the party - was out yesterday !

Yep - normal 'at rest' would be flaps & slats down, airbrakes open, u/c doors open and tailplanes drooped trailing edge down a bit.

On startup the pilot would select flaps up and as hyds came on they'd retract, and tailplanes would go to neutral. See-off crew would close the doors. Pilot would then go through his control checks ( liney dance anyone ? ) and during this put the flaps / slats to takeoff and close the airbrakes.

You do realise I now feel the need to walk around the office waving my arms around ?

The Tornado CSAS bite dance was another to behold 😂😂

There is some of the liney dance in those you tube links posted above.

A warning on the KH kit the bay with the micto turbo is duplicated on both sides I seem to recall.

If you want any detail pictures then our Jag walkaround is one of the most comprehensive we have;