Bataille de France Leo 451

AntoineG

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! I nearly missed the start of this GB. To be honest, I completely forget about it since I applied. So, during the last couple of months, instead of getting ready for the GB, I entered a building frenzy and stuffed my workbench with a load of new projects. I’ve to find some place to start one Heller LeO451 now….

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’ll try to keep up with you guys but, to be honest, our first baby girl arrived less than one month ago (best scale model I ever made), hence it is highly probable that I won’t be on the forum very often…

Anyway, happy GB to you all!

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 17

Nice to see you on here Antoine, however seems like you’ve already got your hands full with all those other projects as well as the new born.... shame to not see that lovely Black Box LeO getting the love it deserves. See how you go and do your best. 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntoineG said:

our first baby girl arrived less than one month ago (best scale model I ever made)

Congrats! Life as you knew it is over :P 

The smell of paint is nothing compared to a fresh diaper. Be prepared!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Congratulations on your new arrival. You will have lots of available modelling time now, when you are doing your 2 hourly feeds through the night in the wee small hours of the morning !

Best of luck with this one and pass on my best wishes to Mrs G.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Your bench makes mine look well ordered.

Good luck with your build, this is a lovely kit considering its age (originally released in 1966), original catalogue number L391.

More importantly good luck with the new person in your life, trust me, you're going to need it!

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you all for your kind worlds.

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

shame to not see that lovely Black Box LeO getting the love it deserves

@Rabbit Leader, don't worry, I've got enough spare love for this lovely plane😍

19 hours ago, alt-92 said:

The smell of paint is nothing compared to a fresh diaper

@alt-92, I already miss Alclad smell..🥴

@TonyOD, thanks mate

@JOCKNEY Mrs G thanks you. Your good words were much appreciated.

@JeroenS Thank you!

9 hours ago, Wez said:

More importantly good luck with the new person in your life, trust me, you're going to need it!

@Wez Thanks, I think I still don't grasp the amount of luck I'll be needing...

This morning, after a good short night (we were indeed able (allowed?) to sleep for more than 3 hours in a row...) , I tidied up my workbench so I can accommodate a French twin engine bomber. Looks better, isn’t it?

spacer.png

Anyway, here what is inside the box.

spacer.png

And here are the books to support this project.

spacer.png

Checking the dimensions against the scale drawings of Meunier's book, the wings looks ok (even if the nacelles look a bit thin and the air inlet to far from the nacelle) but the length is 6mm short. One could accept that, but now that I know about it, I can’t let it as it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So the built will start with a bit of surgery.

I’ll keep you up to date.

Cheers,

AntoineInsert image from URL

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, AntoineG said:

Checking the dimensions against the scale drawings of Meunier's book, the wings looks ok (even if the nacelles look a bit thin and the air inlet to far from the nacelle) but the length is 6mm short. One could accept that, but now that I know about it, I can’t let it as it is.

spacer.png

Blast!  Now I know about that I'll have to deal with it in time!  In the meantime, I'm interested in seeing how you deal with this, the error to my eye is forward of the tailplane.  I take it you've checked the dimensions against the plans?

Martin @RidgeRunner may be interested in this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Wez said:

I take it you've checked the dimensions against the plans?

In three of my references, the total length of the aircraft is 17.17m. In the gentlemen scale, that means 23.8cm. This is in line with the drawing I have.

The 6mm I plan to add are an approximation though. But the tolerance should be around +/-0.5 mm. Close enough for me 😉.

Antoine

• Like 4

Without checking my kit it looks like the shortage is at the tip of the fuselage? That is, of course, assuming that the tailplane assembly fits in the correct place. If that is the case it should simply need an added piece of styrene shaped to conform to the fuselage shape. 

I’ll take a good look tomorrow. 

Martin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AntoineG said:

I'm doing a Leo for the MTO III GB. Haven't got the skills for that kind of surgery though...

Edited by TonyOD
Please don’t quote an entire post.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I'm doping a Leo for the MTO III GB. Haven't got the skills for that kind of surgery though...

Hi Tony, 

Although I havent checked yet, I reckon it is simply a matter of building up Gloop/Milliput around a template. I might be wrong, though ;)

Martin

• Like 2

Hi,

With regards to the fuselage, the discrepancy looks indeed to be around the tail section of the aircraft. I decided to cut the fuselage close to the location where the kit profile does not follow the drawing anymore.

spacer.png

So here I am tonight, with a split fuselage.

By the way, this is the first time I venture in this kind of surgery...😷

spacer.png

Next step will be to insert a 6mm stack of styrene sheets.

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Bold, sir! Bold!

Agreed! I’m not so sure I’d go that far! I reckon I can get a reasonable representation by building up the fuselage after the Tailplane. The cut and shut approach will mean - I think - that the tailplane will be too far back. 

Martin 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AntoineG said:

By the way, this is the first time I venture in this kind of surgery...😷

Having done something similar to another kit, make sure you cement the tail symmetrically, you don’t want the Hori Stabs to be cocked one way in comparison to the wings. 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 3

Heller seems to have enjoyed producing slightly shortened versions of models. Same with my Bf 109F. I'm going to conduct a similar surgery - wish the doctor luck (I can't see blood...)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I reckon I can get a reasonable representation by building up the fuselage after the Tailplane. The cut and shut approach will mean - I think - that the tailplane will be too far back. 

@RidgeRunner actually, the position of the tail unit is correct relative to the aft of the fuselage. Elongating the fuselage after the tail unit will place it in a wrong position.

I'll try to take better pictures for you.

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

make sure you cement the tail symmetrically

@Rabbit Leader Dave, thank you for the recommendation. I have a rough idea how to get there. The plan is to build the inserts from the same stack-up cut in two and to glue them with the half fuselage lying flat on the mat. I'll be able to correct the position half way through the glue drying. Anyway, that's a plan and you know what one says about plan...

@Toryu Good luck doctor !

50 minutes ago, AntoineG said:
On 10/5/2020 at 10:35 PM, RidgeRunner said:

@RidgeRunner actually, the position of the tail unit is correct relative to the aft of the fuselage. Elongating the fuselage after the tail unit will place it in a wrong position.

I'll try to take better pictures for you.

Thanks mate. It looks like I’ll be “cutting and shutting” Then ;). I would draw a reference line on each side before making the cut, and would cut after assembly of the two halves I may be wrong, though! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks mate. It looks like I’ll be “cutting and shutting” Then ;). I would draw a reference line on each side before making the cut, and would cut after assembly of the two halves I may be wrong, though! ;)

Wrong!!! Cut before assembly and add the fillers before also. That way you lay them flat with a straight side aligned with the joint of the two halves. Rough cut the excess so that you can see to match them up. They should then align perfectly. 

• Like 1