273 Squadron Spitfire XIV - Indo-China December '45 - Now Finished

Olmec Head

Markings On

I airbrushed on the SEAC White stripes with a slightly off -white and remarkably there was not bleed or running into the panel lines.  I followed up this unexpected result with Tamiya NATO black walkway lines.  These I think look better than the kit supplied decals which I always struggle to get right.

I then started to put on the wheels etc before the decaling.  I did this as there is nothing more disheartening than ruining the nearly finished model when one final part doesn't fit as it should (a mistake I made with an 1/72 Airfix 109e -where every final small part didn't fit or snapped on the sprue).  Most bits fitted,just with some adjustment.  The exhausts still needed sanding to fit even though I had dry fitted and adjusted them prior to painting.  Just the paint coats had tightened the fit too much on one side (as I have said before Airfix always seem to have one exhaust that does not fit properly in every kit).  The undercart legs located properly, but the wheel slots were again not brilliant and took some bodging.  I ended up using Eduard hubs as these were better than the Airfix and the Airfix wide sprue gates meant that I cut the hubs 'straight' which looked poor in the wheels, so needed replacing.  I also used some old etch for the oleo scissors.

The marking came from an old Eagle Strike sheet and went on well:

IMG_3538

I used the Future and water wash that beds the decals in well and does away with the need for decal softeners.  The white codes were pure white and will need some dirtying. 

IMG_3539

I just rested on the nose to show how the aircraft look changes with the huge spinner.

• Like 5

very nice work with those stripes! :thumbsup:

If you can ever paint those instead of using the supplied decals, they just look so much better.

I really do like the look of this model.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work, and it looks like she will be finished on time too which is very good news.

though if you do need some extra time then a wish to Santa for extra time might be be granted! ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

though if you do need some extra time then a wish to Santa for extra time might be be granted! ;) 

Thank you Rich, but I hoping to finish this by next weekend and thank you also for your comments.

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work, and it looks like she will be finished on time too which is very good news.

Thanks modelling minion, I just hope that some doesn't prove that it was actually DG and Ocean grey DFS as some profiles have it at least until I have finished.

• Like 1

Now Finished After a Month

I started this on 12 Nov and now have got it completed after a month, and just within the original deadline.

The aircraft was only 3 months or so old when 273 Squadron operated from RAF Saigon at the end of 1945 and Jan 46.  So its a good job that all my weathering efforts (pre shading post shading etc)  didn't show through.  

spit side s1

The front windscreen didn' t go on as smoothly  as I thought and needed some filler and Tamiya extra thin glue rather than the planned canopy glue.

spit top

The Airfix decals,  I used the stencils, went on well. 

spit star

I was going to do the canopy closed, but it fitted on well in the open position, so I left it as that.

spit bot

And the underneath.

• Like 9

• Olmec Head changed the title to 273 Squadron Spitfire XIV - Indo-China December '45 - Now Finished
On 13/12/2020 at 22:40, modelling minion said:

What a great result, I was hoping that someone would build something from the British involvement in Vietnam and you haven't disappointed.

You have done a really good job on Airfix's Mk. XIV, and I think you made the right choice on the colour scheme.

Very well done.

On 14/12/2020 at 00:35, stevehnz said:

A great result on what I think is a beaut scheme on a beaut aircraft, what's not to like? :)

Steve.

On 13/12/2020 at 22:40, modelling minion said:

What a great result, I was hoping that someone would build something from the British involvement in Vietnam and you haven't disappointed.

You have done a really good job on Airfix's Mk. XIV, and I think you made the right choice on the colour scheme.

Very well done.

Thank you for your kind words.  I also realised that I finished the model for the 75th Year anniversary of 273 Squadron deploying to Ind-China/ Vietnam.  As an aside, 273 Squadron used Fulmars for a brief time in 1942 in the Far East after the Fall of Singapore and the Retreat from Burma.  That would be an interesting model an RAF Fulmar -if there is a photo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done!! :thumbsup: 

I for one wasn't expecting to see a Spitfire in this GB, and I have to say it was a nice surprise to see this one you brought along.

She turned out very nicely, I think you got her looking just rings.

Thank you for joining us her, I do hope you enjoyed the build, it was great to have you along.