143 - Groupe mitrailleuses Hotchkiss (complete)

Dean Whiston

• 2 weeks later...

These guys look pretty good! Curious to see how they turn out, figure painting is something I keep away from, hat's off to anyone who can pull it off. 

This is a great start. We can see that you know what you are doing, and I am going to tag along, as I can do with a crash course in figurine painting!

I nonetheless shiver at people carrying a grenade on their belt! A bit like walking with a hand gun in the waist band...

That's maybe why we lost the war?

Great show!

JR

Nice work! You did mention they were small, but they don't look it because of your excellent work and photography. Could you set them next to a paint jar or something so we can appreciate their true size? 

• Thanks 1

Very impressive work Dean

One comment, which I meant to make when you used to have a pic of you as an avatar,  as it showed this well.

Eye whites are not really visible unless you are really close to a person,  I read in one figure painting guide to not bother, and just use the flesh tone.  

Your avatar pic was about the same size as the faces above, and in it you could not see your eye white at all. 

while the blow up of my Paratroop officer shows I need better glasses and light,  this is just burnt umber dots as the iris

49823226142_7d5b2c1400_b.jpgpara crop 50621237 by losethekibble, on Flickr

your is shows superb fine brush work, but I think it's spoils the face

p?i=f444d598793697df825ef467236ea6ee

even in a pro well lit shot of a reenactor,  the white is basically invisible

World+War+Two+Military+Reenactors+Prepar

If it's of any interest, here's the WIP of the para figure

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072084-132-airfix-paratrooper-officer/

Just I found using an oil wash with lighter fuel as a solvent  was a very easy way of adding shadow and outlines to equipment, though my face painting really needs some work!

Not meant to knock your painting skills, which are very impressive,   just to show my technique FWIW.    

Hope of interest, and great work on the figures.   

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1