Modelling consumables

Whilst reading the Should model kits be banned thread, and the discussion regarding the disposal of plastic waste, I have begun wondering how we dispose of the other materials used in the construction of plastic kits

Particularly items such as paint thinners and the like

I work in the motor industry and after painting my models with enamel paints  have disposed of the waste paint laden thinners into the used engine oil containers at work

I have now started using  acrylic paint and an airbrush, this has quickly left me with a large amount of waste airbrush cleaning fluid contaminated with paint particles

Where should i dispose of this ?, down the sink cant be right can it ?

Where do you guys dispose of your waste consumables ?

I have a Gatorade sports drink bottle 32oz and i have cat litter and kitchen towels in it. When i dump paints or thinners into it they get absorbed into the materials. Here in the U.S. you can throw out paints in the regular waste if they're dried using cat litter. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

That, Dennis, sounds like a great idea. If I can get hold of some kitty litter, I will give it  go. I will save me having to decant a used jar of dirty thinners into a clean one, but still getting a load of crud in it. I daren't put anything like that down the sink, as we're on a septic tank, and it would kill the bugs.

John.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Good point. I imagine that for most of us, down the sink is the only option.

Not a good option.

At the very least, down the toilet would be better, since there is the ability to separate out chemicals onece at the treatment plant.

If you have a bucket of water and bleach for cleaning house floors with, down the loo is the best option.

13 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Sink and toilet use the same drains.

You just beat me to that. Is there a different system in NZ?

In the UK there are just two types of drains: foul water and storm water. Everything from inside the house should go down the foul water drain, where it is treated, but the treatment primarily removes natural organic wastes, and 'normal' household chemicals: detergent, bleach etc. It's not designed to cope with other chemicals. These are best disposed of as waste that goes to incineration.

Cat litter and bagging sounds a good idea.

Edited by 3DStewart
8 hours ago, spaddad said:

spaddad is correct. and for houses approx post 1965, dirty water ie sinks, washing machines, loos off to the treatment works. surface water to soakaways.

I pour used chemicals into a bottle & then put them the in the section at the dump ( sorry...household recycling centre AKA dump ) for chemicals & paints.

Things like White Spirit I try to use as much as possible for environmental concerns, not cause I'm a tight bottom. I strain them through some old stocking material to get the bits out and them use them for first rinse.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, spaddad said:

Yes, but water in the sink is classed as Grey Water and can be put on the lawn without too much treatment. Stuff that goes down the toilet is classed as Black water and needs to be part of the sewerage system and is not usually recycled unless you have a composting toilet.

And paint thinners should never go down the sink or toilet !

As I don't drive, thus have no access to my "local" "waste and recycling centre", I usually dump my paint/thinners waste down the drain outside the house I live in, somehow my late father put a pipe to the drain (or it just goes straight into the ground) when he built the porch for the back door.  Either that or I just dump it on the concrete path/grass down the end of the garden and wait for rain to wash it away.

Edited by RobL

Down here in La La Land, no chemicals are allowed in the storm drains. Some, such as chlorinated water are allowed in the sewer. I dispose of harsh chemicals at the local county waste center. Having written that, my used lacquer thinner evaporates long before it hits the trash cans.

I use B&Q Diall Brush Restorer for cleaning my paint brushes and cleaning my airbrush.

Any mucky cleaners goes into an old paint thinners tin which has a tight lid.

Every so often the tin gets taken to the local council waste unit where its emptied into a container they have for such stuff.

However, I find the thinners evaporates quite a bit despite it being in a tin with an air-tight lid

I never throw white spirit down drains or sinks. Instead, I use filter paper when decanting used white spirit into an old white spirit container. The dregs on the filter paper gets thrown in the general waste or burned. The used, filtered spirit although yellow in colour is good enough to be used again although I don't use it for modelling purposes.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

I strain them through some old stocking material to get the bits out and them use them for first rinse.

Ditto. I have two jars of thinners on the go, one with clean white spirit in it for the final rinse of the brush, and the other with the strained spirit to use for the first  rinse.

John.

• Like 1