Another 1:24 Transit Conversion - Mk2 Phase 1 + Beavertail

10 hours ago, Anteater said:

Ref the bonnet vents, page 12 of the Mk2 Phase 1 brochure clearly shows four vents (square headlamps 1978-1983 type), but it is a cutaway drawing rather than a photograph. I

I imagine that all depends on the brochure being updated as the parts changed. Re the Transit Forum link it states the vents did change later as, it appears, did the round headlamps to square. Then there could be photos of vehicles where some parts may have been retro fitted to earlier/later vehcles. I think it's a case of not getting bogged down in detail as anything goes for whichever version you choose to build. Don't want end up counting rivets, that would never do. 🤣 Life's too short.

Thanks for all the input and ongoing comments.

7 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

I think it's a case of not getting bogged down in detail as anything goes for whichever version you choose to build. Don't want end up counting rivets, that would never do.

Agreed. The whole fun of replicating something that had such a huge range of factory options is that nothing is necessarily right or wrong. Stir third party body builders into the mix and then add maintenance when in service and they often ended up as a right old jumble. You can have a scale Transit free-for-all and retain a clear conscience 😉

• Like 2

After painting the Mini Pickup it's back to the EWB chassis, drivetrain and exhaust, trying to utilize more kit parts this time arround. Some of the parts from the LWB version can be used and/or converted. The bed, ramps and a few other small items have gone for casting and when the test shots come back I can crack on with finalizing the subframe. Here's today's work in addition to producing a multi subject decal sheet.

spacer.png

• Like 4

The test shots of the bed and ramps arrived back from my master caster, the clarity of detail is unpecedented [to coin a few current buzz words]. Today has been the installation of the subframe cross members which are located to marry up with the brackets along the chasis rails. The tail end is next but this need the chassis and bed taping together, now where did I put my extra pair of hands 🤔

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Not been feeling like doing much modelling recenty hence this build, along with the 1/4 ton Pickup have stalled. It seems to be a case of one step forward then five steps back.

At least the etch for the lashing points and winch fairlead have arrived, so I suppose I need to make a 1/24 boot to kick me back into action.

Edited by mbdesignart
extra info

6 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Not been feeling like doing much modelling recenty hence this build, along with the 1/4 ton Pickup have stalled.

I have a trick for that, it almost always works. I set a timer for 15 minutes and then just start, promising myself to do the 15 minutes at least. What usually happens is that I give the timer a slap when it goes off and continue with the build for another couple of hours!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Back to this build, as if I wasn't doing too much already. The Beavertail is all but done. Paint needs applying before the etch and detail parts are added but the major construction has been completed. Now onto the ELWB Chassis conversion...

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 8

And so onto the ELWB Chassis. I nearly came over all Sir David Attenborough documentry when mating the resin chassis to the Italeri cab floor 🤣 Then I couldn't find the kit instructions to add the front spring/steering assemby, fortunately I found a link to a downloadable copy which are a laugh. It's a pity the kit front shocks aren't long enough, [photo shows kit to the left, new to the right] maybe Italeri's idea of Air Ride 🙄 , so a bit of scratchbuilding with some plastic tube resolved this. For anyone that has built the LWB version you will note use of the kit cab floor, this is part of a re-engineering process to the Transit conversions. Thanks to those who are fiollowing along for your kind comments.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to get some spraying done. An experiment with some, new to me, Vallejo Polyurethane Surface Primer. It's supposed to be airbrush ready, well not after the first pass as it clogged everything up. A bit of experimenting with adding thinners proved beneficial but I'm not that impressed. But at least there is progress. The Beavertail section has had a coat of Tamiya LP-38 Flat Aluminium and now awaits detail painting, the addition of the etch tie down points and the winch.

The Phase 1 grille is in and just needs the filler sanding before the cab can undergo some paint application, which is going to be yellow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

The cab front converion is done, after a bit of filing and filling. Also added the chin spoiler, I think the extra downforce is needed if it ever picks up a rustly BL 'classic'. Wouldn't want it falling off the back 🤣

spacer.png

• Like 4

Some paint has been applied to the cab, Vallejo Model Air Orange, as an undercoat for yellow but I'm mulling over leaving some stripes/shapes in this colour. Note the Mk2 Phase 1 grille conversion seamlessly integrated into the kit front. 😉

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
info update
  • Like 7

Looks good to me. It's a breakdown truck, so long as it does it's job and turns a profit.

Maybe that's the only yellow they could get? And the bloke who masked it, or the tape was rubbish?

I've seen a lot worse real ones over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to do something about the paintjob after it being roundly criticised [I hope to get on Oprah as it nearly affected my mental health 🙄, what do you mean you can't tell!😂] Anyway the cab has been attacked with wet and dry, one wing is now a pattern replacement part and one side door will end up as a scrapyard salvage part in a totally different colour, maybe with a slight rust issue and then finally coated with matt varnish as though ready for a far more accomplished paintshop. The chassis, in contrast, has had the wheels all blinged up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5