Spotting at Lossiemouth

DaveJL

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but is anyone able to point me in the right direction for any spotting opportunities around Lossiemouth? I should be in the area in a few weeks and would hate to miss anything, especially after having a great few days around Lakenheath and Coningsby.

Cheers

Dave

Had a look at the above link that Richard sent. It seems there are no designated spotting areas as such, unlike Lakenheath and Coningsby. Would anyone who lives in the area, or has visited, be able to shed any further light or suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

I visited Lossiemouth in May 2018 on an organised tour for Exercise Joint Warrior. I spent the afternoon before the two day tour outside the northern end of the base and the spotting was superb! As you can see in the photos Typhoons flying right over your head and obviously great for three quarter views and down the runway too. I drove around the perimeter roads and saw a few spots all of which will be covered in "Thunder and Lightnings" as Richard mentioned above. Shortage of time meant I didn't bother with them though. Google Maps satellite view is also your friend. It was two and a half years ago but the track that runs east off the B9040 on the southern side of the golf course was pretty rutted and narrow in places. If you value your car my suggestion would be to park it at the western end of the track close to the B9040 and walk a few hundred yards. 

I've very envious of anybody who lives close enough to be able to visit regularly. I hope you have a great time. 

5 hours ago, Latinbear said:

I visited Lossiemouth in May 2018 on an organised tour for Exercise Joint Warrior. I spent the afternoon before the two day tour outside the northern end of the base and the spotting was superb! As you can see in the photos Typhoons flying right over your head and obviously great for three quarter views and down the runway too. I drove around the perimeter roads and saw a few spots all of which will be covered in "Thunder and Lightnings" as Richard mentioned above. Shortage of time meant I didn't bother with them though. Google Maps satellite view is also your friend. It was two and a half years ago but the track that runs east off the B9040 on the southern side of the golf course was pretty rutted and narrow in places. If you value your car my suggestion would be to park it at the western end of the track close to the B9040 and walk a few hundred yards. 

I've very envious of anybody who lives close enough to be able to visit regularly. I hope you have a great time. 

Thanks for the info mate, great pictures you have there too!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Richard E said:

Apologies it you're already familiar with Fighter Control, however you might find this: helpful

Thanks Richard, I wasn't even aware of that. Looks like QRA is at Leuchars at the minute and the rest of the Lossie Typhoons currently at Kinloss, though from what I can see, the return movements to Lossie will be from next week.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...