780 Delahaye 103 Bonneville Fire Engine

Chimpion

Here's a topic placeholder for my entry. I've taken the sprue photos and will upload them this evening. There's a LOT of plastic, much of it very thin. It does look like it will be easy to build several sections (engine, chassis, ladder, turntable) in parallel, which will give me a fighting chance of getting it completed on time.

I plan to put the first few pieces together over this weekend.

• Like 5

Looking forward to this beauty, I don't think I ever seen one built.  It was first released in 1980.

Welcome and good luck!

My Dad's a retired Fireman (they weren't called fire fighters in the 70s / 80s :wink: ) and I built the 1:16  Escape for him some years ago; it's still in a cabinet in their house! Anyhow, as such, this build is a 'must watch' for me!! :happy:

There is something very satisfying about discovering you have a kit that isn't on Scalemates, so I'm afraid you now have a duty to add it to Tims database, along with the appropriate bragging rights that come with it.

This build is going to be a bit special thanks for bringing it to the GB.

Cheers Pat 

I've found the first problem. There should be a pin on each side of the chassis to enable what look like pump levers to be attached, melting the pin to hold them in place. The pin is missing on one side. I was tempted to just glue it, but thought that as I'm being watched I should make an effort.

spacer.png

So I cut the end off a resistor leg and promptly dropped it on the floor. Worried about what it might do to my foot if I trod on it, with the aid of the torch on my phone I eventually found it. Long before that I found a long-lost 1/72nd-ish headlight - now I have to work out which kit is missing a headlight!

spacer.png

Combined with a spare bit of plastic (sprue ejector pin?) and some super glue I've ended up with this. It's still a bit loose, but once painted it'll hopefully tighten up a bit - if not I'll address it later.

spacer.png

Current state of the chassis shown below. I'm not convinced I've got it completely aligned, but there wasn't much play in it - the fit was very good.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Good start, looks like it's pretty straight. 

I know of parts that I dropped and never found... I wonder where they are sometimes... 

• Like 1

Where does Bonneville fit in all that?

Is it the town it is meant to operate from?

Great progress so far!

JR

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jean said:

Where does Bonneville fit in all that?

Is it the town it is meant to operate from?

Great progress so far!

JR

Sorry to jump in here but it had me wondering also. I don't believe there's any link to Pontiac hence as there is a 'Monte Carlo' version, I'm guessing that it is indeed depicted as stationed in the town of Bonneville. I'm sure someone will confirm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Sorry to jump in here but it had me wondering also. I don't believe there's any link to Pontiac hence as there is a 'Monte Carlo' version, I'm guessing that it is indeed depicted as stationed in the town of Bonneville. I'm sure someone will confirm

Hi,

you may be right considering the mountains in the background on the box art. The mountains in question are a lot taller and mean-looking than the ones overlooking Bonneville, but I guess the idea is there. Great mushroom picking by the way in these mountains! Not to mentions a few beautiful fields in the valley where to put your glider down when unable to get back... But I never saw a single fire engine there...

JR

• Like 1

Hi,

yes, it would appear this is really Bonneville, in Haute Savoie.

Here are a couple of photos of that fire engine in the Bonneville fire brigade museum. It would appear they bought it from Monaco in 1968, as they did not have a truck left over from the old days.

Anyway, just to prove that it exists!

b-619_musee_departemental_des_sapeurs_pompiers_de_haute_savoie

b-22364

17-1

This project is real fun.

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@jean
Many thanks for the photos!

I now have the wheels built and ready for painting and the front axle assembled. I managed to snap the pin off the bottom of the steering column and am struggling to replace it. More build photos soon.

• Like 1

Here's the front axle.

spacer.png

It's a tricky assembly with very flimsy parts (probably nicely to scale, but being made of plastic they lack rigidity and strength. The steering joints are all made by melting the plastic - for the last joint I had trouble getting the pin through the hole and broke the pin off. I've rescued it using a similar approach with a thin metal pin as above - this time I couldn't use a small bit of plastic as it would then be too big to allow the bodywork to fit (glad I thought to check!). I've bodged it by supergluing a few bits of flash around the end of the pin (fortunately I had a fair bit available on one of the red sprues!). I'm not looking for a strong movable mechanism, but I would like to be able to position the angle of the wheels at the end of the build. It'll all be hidde under the bodywork, so it just has to stop the link falling off.

I also found the fit of the axle to the chassis wasn't great - I've had trouble getting it to bond and have had to re-cement one side more than once. I pushed down a bit hard trying to get a good bond the last time, pushed in the wrong place, and snapped the steering cross bar off at one end (see above about it being flimsy). It's all back together now, but I'm going to try to avoid touching this assembly except where absolutely necessary. I'm dreading trying to get the wheels on.

• Like 4

I've made good progress on the engine. The start of the ladder frame is visible in the background.

spacer.png

I've also been plagued here with the carburettor and air filter regularly falling off. I still need to touch up the paint in places. I added the spark plug cables - these are not part of the kit. The decal was surprisingly well-behaved - I've had trouble with old Heller decals in the past.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. I've been short of modelling time recently, but have made some progress. I always planned to do the bulk of the build over the Christmas break, so I'm still on (my admittedly slow) schedule.

Here's a summary of where I'm at :

spacer.png

The chassis is half-painted (airbrushed with Revell Aqua gloss black) but also needs at least one more coat on the part that's already done.

I've added the pedals, levers and seats to the body section. I was forced into starting this when I accidentally knocked one of the pedals off the sprue and was worried I'd lose it if I didn't put it somewhere safe. Where could be safer than in its final resting place?

I've built and half-primed (Humbrol 01 acrylic airbrushed) the start of the turntable assembly, and tonight I started the ladder. It has some incredibly thin sections, and I had to repair a couple of them. The first part has gone together OK though :

spacer.png

There are two or three more sections like this. I hope they'll fit together OK once painted - I may have to be careful to make sure I get only thin coverage.

The eagle-eyed among you will also spot the firewall with two horns attached.

I'm back in more or less 100% working from home and we have a curfew here from 8pm every evening so I'm starting to find a bit more time for modelling, although this is one of (too) many kits I've got started.

Andy

• Like 7