80383 - E-3F/E-3B "AWACS"

Well I am have severe lack of mojo with all my builds and was ready to throw the towel in on this one thinking  the GB ends today.  I may yet actually get some paint on it in the next week.

Here's hoping 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well I am have severe lack of mojo with all my builds and was ready to throw the towel in on this one thinking  the GB ends today.  I may yet actually get some paint on it in the next week.

Here's hoping 🤞

Ah, that darn mojo.... Just give yourself a big ol' KUTA and once that finish line is in sight I'm sure you'll be picking up some speed!

Hi Ray

Sorry to hear about your mojo slippage but you do still have a week to go. 

I hadn't appreciated the scale of your build it looks amazing and I'm sure all those extra details you have been adding will make all the difference to the finished build.

Actually seeing your build on the work bench reminds me I have the Contrail Moss lurking somewhere in the stash, I wonder how that one compares size wise to yours ?

Cheers Pat 

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Cheers chaps, a mate of mine built the Moss some years ago and it is slightly bigger as I recall, here is a picture

50919993332_1c6bf422fd_b.jpg

Wow, nailing the finished ones to the wall, that's really thinking outside the box  ! :idea:

I was worried you were going to say that...... could be a candidate for the anything but injection GB :door:

Cheers Pat

Some mojo regained and almost immediately dampened 😞

I primed the filled areas and seams

50928861032_a4b9da84d3_b.jpg

50928051778_81cfde5e9a_b.jpg

to find some very obvious (read HUGE!) seams and other areas needed more putty (it does not help the pictures when the primer and putty are white!)

50928846487_9a35f38fcd_b.jpg

50928846577_a5777b2db7_b.jpg

Round two ( or is that 3 or 4?) of sanding has been done, and more putty applied (not as much this time)

• Like 6

Good to see this now in one piece and I hope all goes well with painting.

I did have a slight problem with mine after painting in that the upper fuselage cracked and split a few times. Sorted with glue and repainted. I wish that I had treated the fuselage as a vac-form and added some strips of plasti-card.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:19 AM, ian fish said:

Is the Eduard etch worth getting?

I have had the fortune to get a Heller kit at a good price locally and am now doing the google stuff seeing what else can be stuck on!

I have the internal set and you don't see much when it is closed up. I have not looked at what is included for some time. Might have to revisit it.  I also have another outside set but have not been bothered to us it, again I can't recall what is on it, gear doors I think. I also just found a Flightpath conversion for the model with resin TF33s :banghead:

I might get this one finished soon and use the resin engines as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have the internal set and you don't see much when it is closed up. I have not looked at what is included for some time. Might have to revisit it.  I also have another outside set but have not been bothered to us it, again I can't recall what is on it, gear doors I think. I also just found a Flightpath conversion for the model with resin TF33s :banghead:

I might get this one finished soon and use the resin engines as well.

Have you seen the Brengun etch? I have ordered the D etch from flightpath too!

On 5/11/2021 at 8:37 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I also just found a Flightpath conversion for the model with resin TF33s :banghead:

I had ordered the flighpath etch fro the RAF variants and it contains some nice touches, I would add a pic but I am struggling to upload any here..

The etch has new doors aerials new finer details....

I am happy with it, just waiting on the Brengun ones now and to see what is worth adding!

7 hours ago, ian fish said:

I had ordered the flighpath etch fro the RAF variants and it contains some nice touches, I would add a pic but I am struggling to upload any here..

The etch has new doors aerials new finer details....

I am happy with it, just waiting on the Brengun ones now and to see what is worth adding!

I have had a look at my sets now, I have used part of one of these sets on my E-8C. The extra detail is nice, I did notice that some of the antennas are oversized, so be aware.  The fan blades and engine parts are nice (I did not use them), but the template to adding the missing entry door is handy.  Some extra effort required to add some detail but it is worth it.

Here is a shot of the nose of the E-8C, note the antennas under nose

34877696043_d91fd0b2e0_b.jpg

Which I replaced with plastic card versions which were more to scale

35299567830_16040a4bfd_b.jpg

You need a photo hosting site to post pictures here, no direct uploads allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Is that missing door a common feature or just to the C variant RAY? 

Stu,

The door is a feature of the civil B707 family, E-3s (A-F) do not have it. Since the E-8C is an ex QANTAS B707-338 it needs the door there.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:33 PM, ian fish said:

Have you seen the Brengun etch? I have ordered the D etch from flightpath too!

I was not aware Brengun had done a set, it looks very comprehensive

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well it did not get finished and I had to 'deconstruct' it for my move west.

I am now going to finish it off and have started its second assembly.

The state it got here in

52017878000_f4a648ab9b_b.jpg

And getting it back together.

52160527370_66bc5ab0c4_b.jpg

52161245127_d2c63b6db8_b.jpg

I shall start another thread in the Work In Progress forum and link it back here.

• Like 2