1/24 Aoshima Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior (with Gyrocopter & Figures)

Hi all, I intend to combine all of these kits to produce a diorama featuring some of the main characters and vehicles in Mad Max 2. I will be converting the Wallis Military Gyrocopter into the one seen in the movie, I will be swapping out the engine and using the one from the VW Beetle and I will have to scratch build the twin tail fin assembly. I was lucky to find the resin figures for sale on eBay, they were the last of a limited number produced, no idea by who, but they are nicely cast and look pretty accurate. To complement the figures I bought the kit with the dog, as I wanted to have Max's dog in the diorama. The Beetle will be used in a future build no doubt. It should make an interesting diorama I think with all of these vehicles and figures combined into it.

Today I jumped into the build of the Gyrocopter engine conversion, my research found that the engine was from a VW Beetle, the Little Nellie and military version show a flat four 2 stroke engine, I cut the gearbox casing off the Beetle engine and using the mounting points from the 2 stroke kit engine. I found it fairly easy to produce a convincing fitment. However I did have to turn the cylinder barrels and heads around because they lay in a tray and I had to leave that part off to give a more accurate look. I got lucky with the exhaust pipes, they were made up from a spare car exhaust I had in my spares box. For the twin tail fins I used some parts for mounting the Little Nellie weapon pylons and traced around the original rudder to get accurate looking tail fins. I don't think they were used as rudders, just stabilisers, so I fitted them to the made up cross bracing, I also made a small jockey wheel just under the rear frame centre rail. I have limited frame grabs of the movie Gyrocopter, so I am only going for a fair representation of it. That's all for now folks.

91b7pHY.jpg
okX9sTG.jpg
xBHwwIJ.png
jyMvscv.png
ZEE4KTq.jpg
oQMa87u.jpg
GVgdJw2.jpg
tjZdT4L.jpg
Xin2li9.jpg
EN6sXhk.png
HumBNEh.png
rEf04g5.png
2YjvPAG.jpg
59uFtT2.jpg
GFt0HYs.jpg
502oZCK.jpg
l1wQr90.jpg
MdYcKHn.jpg
i6D62cg.jpg
gMhoRWy.jpg

• Like 3

Hi guys, just a quick update to show some pictures of the figures that I have painted up. I used some acrylics for a basecoat and oils with Flory sand wash to add some dust effects to Max's leathers. I made the leg brace from flattened out solder, I also used solder to make the red rag around the dogs neck and Max's arm. I still have a few final details to add to the Gyrocopter, but I can now begin to build the car kit, that should be fun weathering it up.

JhHsAkK.jpg
mnVLDy2.jpg
zjHwwev.jpg
IG63h2I.jpg
bFA9m3Y.jpg
PkDP1uW.jpg
BOX7G5a.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like some good work has gone into this, so well done. Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen all the pics as the images appear to be very large and aren't all downloading - any chance you could make the next set a bit smaller?

Ta

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looks like some good work has gone into this, so well done. Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen all the pics as the images appear to be very large and aren't all downloading - any chance you could make the next set a bit smaller?

Ta

Thanks,i will see if i can post smaller images next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camo Viking said:

Where did you get the Interceptor kit from, please?  I've only ever seen them going to stupid amounts of money....

I bought a couple kits off Ebay about 7yrs back when i got back into the Hobby,paid around £60 for each kit if memory serves me well.

They are stupid money now,but i doubt we will see any re issues in the future.

Hi guys, I have been working on the Mad Max 2 car this week which I have now completed. I decided I wanted to change the front end from the box art to look more like how the interceptor looked after Max shunted the car a few minutes into the movie. I think it looks far more aggressive; I had to scratch build some support struts that appeared once the front bodywork was wrecked and add some radiator details in front of the engine. Also built up the interior and added the kit supplied dog food, plus I made up some matting that the dog sat on in the back of the car and on the mini passenger seat. I seriously think the interior is overdue for a good valeting! I will be starting on the diorama base as soon as some of the materials I have ordered turn up. I want to go for a base that looks like the scene in the movie where Max is confronted with the Gyro captain for the first time; I am looking forward to bring all of the models together.

zeRrUyu.jpg
ZLyG5hN.jpg
gt6aneS.jpg
JkgCfOF.jpg
s5otxKt.jpg
3j1ULYD.jpg
U6dn0rc.jpg
8lpLRrK.jpg
aCxIgAZ.jpg
b0jZNup.jpg
IbIjk8J.jpg
Huu85xZ.jpg