L084 - Republic P-47N Thunderbolt. How bad can it be? ** FINISHED **

TonyOD

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

It's making me want to try Metalcote. It seems a very good looking finish if your work is anything to go by.

It buffs up beautifully but as I said mine may have lost a tiny bit of sheen from being overpainted with Klear. One thing I can tell you is that it doesn’t take kindly to solvents. Just been wiping it with a kitchen towel dampened with thinner to get rid of excess wash, and on this bit I think I didn’t put the Klear, as it’s taken the Metalcote clean off. Bit of touching up should sort it...

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ouch can it be repaired or is it a whole lower wing repaint ? 

Touch up with a brush, bit of a buff, good as new.

spacer.png

• Like 8

That is coming up very nicely Tony. I did find some Metalcote I used earlier in the year on my double Mustang build was quite fragile, it didn't like handling a lot but came up nicely in the main. A coat of Klear or whatevver as soon as its dry enough seems like a good idea.

Steve.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this build after a few days off BM... that’s really coming up a treat isn’t it.. Great going and looking forward to seeing it in the gallery. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is coming up very nicely Tony. I did find some Metalcote I used earlier in the year on my double Mustang build was quite fragile, it didn't like handling a lot but came up nicely in the main. A coat of Klear or whatevver as soon as its dry enough seems like a good idea.

Steve.

That's very true. I was careful to handle only while wearing latex gloves while it was bare Metalcote but even so I had to retouch the "keel" as it wore off just from putting it down! I was wondering about just putting the decals on the buffed Metalcote and not bothering with the Klear, but clearly (klearly) it needs the additional protection...

• Like 2

Still on those tiny little rockets. Did I hear somebody say something about an “Unarmed” GB? Sign me up...

(Somewhat anaemic kit original included, 5 inch rocket that might be a 3 inch rocket at a stretch!)

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

All that weaponry is ready for loading up now. The rockets were a bit, er, labour-intensive. After I'd stuck the fins on I cut them all down to half width as they looked way off scale, so big in fact that they would have prevented me sticking them on the little rocket stubs.

(Hopefully Postimages will be back up and running soon, tried another hosting site meanwhile!)

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

Yeah I reckon those little rail pylons are a bit on the short side. 

I scratched some in 1.48 for my Monogram P47D and I recall they had rails running front to back. If you do stretched sprue rails (... in tiny scale....!) they would add a little bit more depth for the ordnance. 

I guess that's why the kit rockets are made so slim 🤔

• Like 1

spacer.png

Well, all done! First build I’ve finished since August, and I’ve had a lot of fun on the way. Now to press on with the Amiot and the LeO. Gallery pics here:

Thanks for looking in, and encouragement along the way!

• Like 6

• TonyOD changed the title to L084 - Republic P-47N Thunderbolt. How bad can it be? ** FINISHED **

Skillyfully mastered! I couldn't tell what inaccuracies this kit has, to me it looks like a P-47N. The colour you used for the wheel wells looks like Japanese Aotake. Just a whim or a PRANG speciality I don't know about??

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback which I'm a bit embarrassed by TBH, I think it's a bit average compared to many of the masterful builds I see around here!

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

The colour you used for the wheel wells looks like Japanese Aotake. Just a whim or a PRANG speciality I don't know about??

It's Humbrol 30 which I think I just selected based on the original instructions and the paint list in the GB reference thread. I thought it an odd choice of colour too to be fair, dark green with a distinct blueness to it. The aircraft as it stands in the museum seems to have more of an olive drab going on where the inside of the landing gear doors is concerned, but then the anti-glare panel is a bright shiny green when I'm pretty sure in active service it would have has a matt olive drab. If there's any part of this build that I wished I spent a bit more time on it's the wheel wells, they're a bit vacant looking!

9 hours ago, CliffB said:

Congratulations Tony and I look forward to seeing many more GB entries from you now.

I have already planned my 2021 GB builds (subject bumfight outcome)!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

As I've said before, this is a real case of getting a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you've done well with this one.

Did you have fun?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wez said:

As I've said before, this is a real case of getting a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you've done well with this one.

Did you have fun?

Oh yeah. Very enjoyable. Even the self-inflicted burden of assembling and painting all those little rockets didn’t feel like a chore.

• Like 1

Nice one Tony. She looks the biz and I take my hat off to you for tackling those rockets. I think I would have taken one look at them, and instantly decided to do the aircraft sans rockets and just pretend the pilot had pressed to tit and fired them off somewhere.

And to my blurry, uneducated eyes, it still looks like a P-47N to me. Having fondled the kit I have in the stash, the only complaint I have at Heller is how they tackled the very front of the cowling. It looks as though it should curve in further at the front and as a result, looks a bit odd. I think the ancient Revell kit has the same issue.

Nice work sir, and a nice choice of colour scheme too. Very eye catching.

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

the only complaint I have at Heller is how they tackled the very front of the cowling. It looks as though it should curve in further at the front and as a result, looks a bit odd.

That's very true. It's "short" and doesn't curve in far enough (I've seen it referred to as a "cookie cutter"), so I don't have as much of that red cowl stripe up front. A more skilled, confident and committed modeller might be able to do something with Milliput. Also if you look at it front on it's sort of twisted very slightly. Nothing I can't live with though.

Edited by TonyOD