The kit is older than me!! GB for 2021 (if possible) or 2022 / Decade you were born 50s,

thepureness

Hi everyone

I wanted to try and put together another GB and been trying to think outside the box for an idea I've not seen, a different style of theme. 

Model kits have been around for 70 years plus and we are possibly very close to the fact that some kits have been produced before most people were born. What I want to suggest is a GB where you need to build a kit that was first tooled before you were born, IE the kit is older than me. 

I'll use myself as example, I was born in the early 80s so I would need to find a kit that was first produced before that time. I know getting hold of some kits for some of the older generation might be hard but their is also the reboxes of the older kits which can be used, take airfix classics as an example for some of the older people. 

Also in order to protect peoples data, you don't need to disclose your ages unless you wish to on the post but the kit 

What do you think?

To cater for the older generation they can build kits from the decade they were born (1950s) as some older kits can be difficult to get hold of unless re-issued 

Edited by thepureness
  • Like 1

Count me in, theres a few Classic Monogram kits that predate me (1971 if your curious). Im thinking the 1/48 scale P-38 or P-39. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-pa97-200-p-38-lockheed-lightning--234328

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-pa227-p-39-airacobra--1151309

I've got a couple of Faller kits that were released in 1956, the same year that I was born.  Fortunately, they were released at the 7th Nuremburg Toy Fair (which was held in February) - several weeks before I arrived!

So please add me to the list ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Can’t participate as don’t meet entry qualifications unless I find a Frog Penguin

I was thinking along the same lines but thinking outside the box we have such beauties are those produced by Skybirds and the C.M.A. (Chingford Model Aerodrome) but the prices these now fetch will put them out of my budget, and I don't think my eyesight it up to Mircromodels now.

• Like 1

Just a thought to help out the geriatric members like me :D  Perhaps one could look at a rule that if one was born in the er, ahem, say 1950’s that it might be elastic enough to permit a build of a model from that decade perhaps?  Just a plea for the golden oldies on here. I mean Mike might want to participate too 

I’ll get my coat :coat: now. It’s cold over on the naughty step this time of year

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Anyone got a list of kits produced pre 1955? I'm guessing my choices will be somewhat limited. :(

Steve.

I had a look as I arrive mid 1953. Airfix had done their first model - a tractor. Followed with The Golden Hind in 1954 and their famous Spitfire 1 in 1955. That’s it from them I think. 

FROG started polystyrene kits in 1955

Revell did a few more in the 50’s mostly cars and ships I think

Aurora had a few planes in 1/48 by 1953 and Monogram we’re doing cars in the 50’s. 

A look over companies like Merit, AMT, Renwal etc. might be worthwhile 

Problem will be obtaining one to build while competing with the collectors prices

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks John, pretty much what I found too. Maybe if this was modified to become A Model from the Decade You Were Born, would open this up a bit for us slightly more senior ones.

Steve.

There is also another formula which could be the GB as originally suggested with a “floor” that if you pick any model moulded say, before year X. (Eg 1959) that would be deemed to automatically qualify as you are then probably an old git like me anyway

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There is also another formula which could be the GB as originally suggested with a “floor” that if you pick any model moulded say, before year X. (Eg 1959) that would be deemed to automatically qualify as you are then probably an old git like me anyway

Yes, that would work too.

Steve

What I could add is a upper floor limit of 1960 for those older that 60 where you can build a kit that was produced in 1960. due to limitation finding a kit pre 1950s

• Like 4

I suppose I could be tempted. Something very rivetty from Airfix would probably qualify for me. I've already built two Airfix kits older than me this year: Seahawk and Mirage IIIC.

Some early candidates:

Airfix:

Ju 88A-4

Avro Anson

Auster AOP/Antartic

DH Heron

Douglas SBD Dauntless

Supermarine S 6B

Fiat G 50Bis Freccia

Fairey Swordfish (yes, the old kit)

Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

Mitsubishi Ki 46 “Dinah”

Bristol Mk 32 Superfreighter

Aichi D3A1 “Val”

Fi 156

R.E. 8

Hannover CL.IIIa

SPAD VII

Sopwith Camel

Albatross DVa

... probably several more aircraft

H.M.S. Victorious

...  and quite a few 1/76 military vehicles

Frog/Novo:

Percival Proctor

Revell/Monogram:

N/S Savannah

Grumman Albatross

Douglas Skyraider

Lindberg:

He 162

• Like 1

I like this. Being born in 1981 this gives me options and a chance to build something (again) I built as a kid or one of the older kits I’ve not made before (looking at you Airfix Stirling sitting in stash)

Edited by Rafwaffe

I'm in!

There are some surprisingly old kits in my stash! :rofl2:

1944: The Naval Base 1/245 LST (ex Lindberg, ex Varney)

1946: Testors 1/48 Curtiss R3C (ex Hawk)

1948: Testors 1/48 Supermarine S.6B (ex Hawk)

1949: Testors 1/48 Howard Ike (ex Hawk)

1955: Pyro 1/32 Hall-Springfield Bulldog Racer

1957: Aurora 1/48 Douglas M-2 Mail Plane

• Like 1

Count me in. I’m a 1959 baby, so teetering on “old git” territory. I didn’t realise the Testors 1/48 S6B and R3C were so old - I have boxings of both. And there are a few pre-1959 Airfix kits in the stash too (I have built eight of them since restarting modelling).

Regards,

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this sounds very interesting to me! Great idea.

I have just had a look on Airfix Tribute Forum and there are a few pre 1957 kits, Lysander, a Hurricane, a Bungalow...

I will have to check other brands but I would be willing to join in!

Ray

This is getting more and more interesting. I have very recently completed a Faller 1/100 Heinkel 111. I airbrushed and decalled that. However I am slowly collecting and building Eaglewall and similar that have the national markings represented on the fuselage. For these I only use a hairy stick !

• Like 2