The kit is older than me!! GB for 2021 (if possible) or 2022 / Decade you were born 50s,

thepureness

As a 1954 vintage old git codger, I'm finding the same problem that other 'senior' members have encountered: finding a suitable kit that is a) available and b) affordable. Even Scalemates falls down as nearly all of their entries for older

'vintage' kits give the introduction year as 195x, which doesn't really help.

If 195x could be made 'acceptable' as a date for entries from modellers of a certain age, that would help a lot! This is a great idea for a GB, and if it should happen, it'll show a LOT of modellers just how far moulding technology (and

modellers' expectations!) have come since those early days.

I rather fancy building one of those Merit 1950s F1 cars. I believe SMER still have a couple of them in their range, as do MisterCraft.

Kingkit (other secondhand kit dealers are available) has several of the old Merit biplane kits. They seem reasonably priced at £14.99 each . . .

I'll stop now 'cos I'm rambling on; it's me age, yer know . . .

Edited by Fifer54
adding an afterthought!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being a mere stripling born in 1964 I am relatively lucky in a wide-ish choice of kits released before I was born. For the precise reasons stated above by Fifer54 I am strongly of the opinion that this proposed group build - which is likely to attract those more venerated than myself - should have a caveat of allowing kits from throughout the 1950s for those born in that decade  or before (1940s and 30s). I have a book or two on the earliest days of 'plastic' modelling and am of the opinion that the 1950s is when styrene injection moulding really started being used for scale models. Before that it was Frog Penguins etc using acetate plastic or kits where one would carve the wooden plug to plans provided - of course it would be nice to see one or two of these built in the modern era.

I'm not trying to 'hijack' this build but just to make it open to all potential modellers of any age - I'm sure we have a modeller or two in their 90s here 🙂

9 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

If this goes ahead as proposed, I'll not be able to build one of the Merit F1 cars. It seems they appeared in 1957 . . .

https://velocetoday.com/merit-124-scale-model-kits/

@thepureness mentioned a few threads down on the first page about a possibility of adding a cap around 1960.  So if you graced this planet anytime before 1960, then any kit prior to 1960 could be an acceptable alternative.  I think it is a good idea personally.  No sense limiting some people to kits that end up costing an arm and a leg because there aren't many of them left.

• Like 1

The idea certainly has legs, and need not cost any limbs either.

I'm Class of '56 and would love to join in a GB.

There's a ton of old mouldings out there under one guise or another. Do a bit of digging, it's half the fun. Instead of only finding references for the real world thing you are modelling, first you need to reference the model!

Revel and Monogram both did retro boxed kits that are still around, cars, planes, ships, spacecraft, there's not exactly any shortage. There's no shortage of Airfix kits to build, they kept banging kits out that were/are well past their prime. DH88 anyone? Build 'em retro style or have a go at bringing one up to date. Your call.

You won't fid a Skybird or Penguin kit for pennies but they are out there and could be considered as an extravagant gift to yourself, because you deserve it!

The stuff is out there, if not already up in the loft. 

I'm up for it.

Tony.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, Paul821 said:

I was thinking along the same lines but thinking outside the box we have such beauties are those produced by Skybirds and the C.M.A. (Chingford Model Aerodrome) but the prices these now fetch will put them out of my budget, and I don't think my eyesight it up to Mircromodels now.

The really early stuff need not be much of a problem. I can't see there being too many 100 year old modellers here, but this lot would sort you out without too much hassle or outlay.

Unbuilt Skybirds are a bit on the expensive side but could be built using a skybird plan, which are a bit easier to come by. Given the basic materials used, duplication is perfectly possible.

It would be not much different to building a re-released plastic kit from Revell for instance.

There are period magazines with Stevens drawings in them that would do at a pinch.

Here's the bits for a Kite brand Gladiator. The plan's all you need really.

IMG-3517.jpg

IMG-3515.jpg

CMA  and other solid scale kits are rareish but not bank breaking when you finally come across a copy or two. Again, a plan would have you nearly there, the real thing being not much more than shaped wood in the first place! CMA would be a good place to start with solid modelling as they are to 1.48 scale.

I have a collection of early kits and if the GB gets underway I could be persuaded to provide plan downloads of potential candidates.

Example here...

IMG-7510.jpg

Here's a CMA Meteor in the raw...

IMG-4379.jpg

IMG-4375.jpg

And a CMA Battle taking the summer sunshine in my shed...

IMG-7094.jpg

... how hard could it be to copy that?

Tony.

• Like 3

Given the mention of Skybirds, C.M.A, et al, would it therefore be allowed to scratch a model from plans released before you were born?  Regardless of their accuracy the 'Aircraft of the Fighting Powers' volumes spring to mind.

Any excuse to give the bandsaw an airing! 

That would get my vote, although I'm not running the idea!

The Fighting Powers books can be had for peanuts if in poor condition. With a hundred or more sets of period plans per volume they are a bargain. The FROG Penguin Spitfire and the first Airfix Mustang both owe their shapes to the series so it's only a matter of mindset to move back from an Airfix Mustang to the origin of the same.

Whatever is decided, the finding of early kits to build isn't nearly the problem it first looked. Strangely enough, first edition kits can often be found for less than the price of a reissue.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, Graham Boak said:

How many inaccurate plans do you really need?  Fascinating books, back in their time and even when I first encountered them in the early 60s.  But more for the historian of the aviation hobby than the modeller nowadays.

I agree, just a quick look at some of the plans is enough to raise the eyebrows.

However, I've a copy of vol.III where you can clearly see the marks from balsa glue remaining on some of the pages from a previous owner - it's then almost an homage to a previous period of our hobby.

In some respects similar to the 'Classic GB' where kits get built that might not normally see the light of day?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Please put me down on the list, I cant find a scale model of Stonehenge that would be appropriate for my year so might be forced to scratch build using a piece of local granite and a hammer and chisel !

Failing that it seems quite a few of the early Frog kits are older than 1965 so it will likely be one of those. :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Please put me down on the list, I cant find a scale model of Stonehenge that would be appropriate for my year so might be forced to scratch build using a piece of local granite and a hammer and chisel !

Failing that it seems quite a few of the early Frog kits are older than 1965 so it will likely be one of those. :wink:

Cheers Pat 

I knew you were old Pat but I didn't think you were that old!!!  Maybe you could do an early version of the wheel!!! :tease:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

I knew you were old Pat but I didn't think you were that old!!!  Maybe you could do an early version of the wheel!!! :tease:

No he can't, because it must be older than him :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

No he can't, because it must be older than him :winkgrin:

Thanks very much guys, your kindness is genuinely overwhelming :wink:

• Haha 2

My favourite genre is stringbags and luckily for me Airfix released the Bristol Fighter in 1956 and the Camel, Fokker Triplane, Albatros DV and the RE8 in 1957. I have two of the latter in the stash so count me in please.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehed said:

My favourite genre is stringbags and luckily for me Airfix released the Bristol Fighter in 1956 and the Camel, Fokker Triplane, Albatros DV and the RE8 in 1957. I have two of the latter in the stash so count me in please.

@Enzo Matrix we need your catch phrase please ! :wink:

• 7 months later...

I'd have the choice of a Fergusson Tractor, The Golden Hind or guess what, a Spitfire Mk1! All from Airfix pre-1957. 

Other manufacturers were available. Aurora and Monogram in America for example, but plastic kits were a very new thing in the 50's