Radome plans.....

mackem01

Hi Chaps.......as per title, I'm looking for comparative plans for the radome used on both the AEW Skyraider and the

Lockheed P2-V5 Neptune as used by the R.A.F. as the Neptune MR.1. I'm normally a 48th scaler but 1/72 would

also suffice as I can scale them up. It's still on the backburner to convert the Tigger models kit.

Hi Mack.

Not sure if this will be of any help to you, but a couple of early issues of SAM had articles and 1/72 scale plans by Peter Lockhart on converting both the Neptune and Skyraider, Vol 1, No 10 (Jul 79) - AEW 1 Skyraider.  Vol 3, No 1 (Oct 80) - P2V 5/7Neptune.    Robin.

First, my experience with looking closely at the SAM drawings, including the P2V, Is that the quality of draftsmanship is high but not the accuracy of shape (or comparative length in the case of P2V variations) and details (the S2F appears to have been drawn with a bomb bay on both sides of the fuselage rather than just the left). Second, I have spent some time looking at the APS-20 installations on pretty good (factory) drawings of the Grumman AF, Douglas AD-5W etc. The basic shape of the front of the radome and the cross section where the antenna is located is fairly consistent because it is defined by the sweep of the APS-20 antenna. What varies significantly as you might expect is the interface between the basic radome and the fuselage. My best guess for the TBM-3W radome is here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2018/09/sword-tbm-3w.html

• Thanks 1

Got the Sanger vacform Shackelton AEW in the garage in 1/48.  Can photograph / measure anything if it helps?  They were helpful and sent me the fuselage halves as I had a an MR version but wanted to build an AEW instead