Boeing 747-200 in 1/144, and South African Airlines decals, are these available??

Deano353

Hi guys I want to make a South African Airlines Boeing 747-200 to depict the aircraft which flew over the Ellis Park stadium.

I'm pretty sure I can get the decals printed somewhere online as I can't see any SAA decals to buy unless you guys know but I have seen none. 

Would Revells 747-100 work? I think there are more top deck windows on the 200 but I really want to make this particular plane.

Worst case scenario I will paint the markings but as I don't know much about airliners I really would like to know if I can make life easier without trying to change a model, although if the only difference is the windows then I can do that, I intend to do this on a stand so no landing gear will be necessary as I do believe the 200 had strengthened gear compared to the 100.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's this below.

spacer.png

Edited by Deano353
Trouble with photo uploading.
  • Like 1

Hi Deano,

Yes the Revell -100 would be fine there's some work being done on one in WIP at the moment which will give you some useful tips.

Regarding the decals Welsh Models do that SAA livery for their 747sp but they have a deal to buy two sheets for a -200/300 for £13.40.

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/decals.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Would Revells 747-100 work? I think there are more top deck windows on the 200 but I really want to make this particular plane.

The Revell -100 kit is the best option in 144th, it's just a case of adding more upper deck windows, either by decal or opening up new ones - if you're brave!

I've just got @26Decals first SAA 747 scheme, and they look lovely!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 26Decals said:

As it happens I am currently drawing the decals for that livery and hope to have them released next week :)

You're doing the specific aircraft that flew over Ellis Park on the finals with good luck Bokke underneath? If so do you have a website where I can buy them?

12 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

You're doing the specific aircraft that flew over Ellis Park on the finals with good luck Bokke underneath? If so do you have a website where I can buy them?

I don't know if Ray is doing that actual aircraft but he is one of our best known decal manufacturers - http://www.26decals.com.

Prompt mail order and great customer service. I have no connection except as a user of his products.

Be aware that Ray makes both laser and screen printed decals. If you haven't used laser decals before they are translucent and have to be applied over a white background.

Dave G

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I don't know if Ray is doing that actual aircraft but he is one of our best known decal manufacturers - http://www.26decals.com.

Prompt mail order and great customer service. I have no connection except as a user of his products.

Be aware that Ray makes both laser and screen printed decals. If you haven't used laser decals before they are translucent and have to be applied over a white background.

Dave G

Thanks for the link, I could probably do it myself by tracing and making a mask, decals would make life easier just lol. I was inspired to make it after watching Invictus which then brought back a memory of the news reporting the incident when it happened. 

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

You forgot to mention the great quality products and and amazing selection.

Again, no connection other than being a happy customer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Yes it will include "Good luck Bokke" underneath :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 26Decals said:

Yes it will include "Good luck Bokke" underneath :)

Ok well you've got a sale then lol. I'll check it out next week and place an order.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the kit and decals have arrived so it'll be good to get this made and posted. I'll probably not do a wip but I'll definitely post the finished model on the aircraft forum for sure.

spacer.png

It comes with a poster of the box art as well which I did not expect from Revell and a stand is included with the kit, which saves me making one!

spacer.png

The decals look incredibly thin I've not seen any like it before they're laser printed I was told? No idea how to use these I'm assuming they're applied like any other waterside decal? If I'm wrong about this please let me know as I dont want to ruin them.

spacer.png

So here we are a build I'm looking forward to and airliners are something I don't build in fact come to think of it I don't think I've ever made one so this will be a first! It's military jets causally for me.

• Like 2

I think if you look on the 26 site Ray has words of advice on how to use his products. I have been using them for years and only once got in trouble. This was my own fault for not masking the paint demarcation properly.

Keith

• Like 1

Laser decals are translucent and must be applied over a white background. You cannot overlap them or use them to cover a colour demarcation so you have to take that into account when doing your masking. The sheet will have continuous clear film meaning each decal has to be cut out individually. Otherwise they work like any other waterslide decals.

Dave G

• Like 2