SAAB J35 Draken Hasegawa 1/48

Hi. This is an old one back on 2013 and it is the last 1/48 kit I did ( I'm just starting a new project in 1/48th, and I'm been having lots of fun 😀)

I usually prefer to build WWII subjects; planes and warships. But any now and then I do something different to my comfort zone and that has a bit of an interest for been "different" .

The Saab 35 Draken was a Swedish fighter aircraft manufactured by Saab between 1955 and 1974. The distinctive design incoporate a "double-delta" configuration, with one delta wing within another large delta. The inner wing has an 80° angle for high speed performace, while the outer 60° wing gives good performance at lower speeds. Propulsion was provided by a single Svenska Flygmotor RM 6B/C turbojet. A ram turbine, under the nose, provide emergency power.

The Hasegawa kit has very good quality and fit and to add a little bit more movement and detail I've cut the aileron, flaps and rudder and did a bit of scratch to cover the open holes exposed in the fuselage once I put the flaps in the down position.

I was quite happy with the result except for a bit of silvering in some of the decals, and regretting haven't added more detail to the cockpit.

This model represents a Finnish version HävLLv 11 1984, DK-201

ZASzx12.jpg

MJTdg1l.jpg

2c5qEkr.jpg

QCzc9HN.jpg

ma17M47.jpg

qk1udZQ.jpg

33UIjbu.jpg

m3uNBE1.jpg

Cheers, 

Jorge

• Like 53
  • Thanks 2

Nice work! Painting and weathering is beautiful. Even with some silvering decals you mentions, it doesn't distract me for overall quality of your work. I'm sure you can easily fix it. Leaving it will be just fine though.

Nanond

Thats a sharp looking build,love the camo job.I agree it was a great little kit,I wasn't as brave and did mine in the overall gray scheme.Again nice job.

That is a cracking Drakken, nice to see it wearing Finnish markings too.  A great model. 

Zhizhou

Mate, this is mind-bogglingly good work! I am working on this kit's little 72nd scale brother and I could only dream of matching the tasteful finish of this paintwork and details 👏. The work with the flaps is just beautiful, it looks like a kit provided option!

Edited by EDCS87

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sweet!👍

Thanks! 😀

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Truly beautiful work. The weathering and general wear from operations looks marvelous.

Thank you. Happy you liked the weathering. I think I really enjoy that part of the process (and all phases of the painting as well)

10 hours ago, Nanond said:

Nice work! Painting and weathering is beautiful. Even with some silvering decals you mentions, it doesn't distract me for overall quality of your work. I'm sure you can easily fix it. Leaving it will be just fine though.

Nanond

Thanks Nanond! I do like it too, but those issues with the decals annoyed me. To be honest I'm not sure either how to fix them, maybe I should apply a bit more micro sol or Mr. mask softer and then playing around with some clear coats...?

9 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Thats a sharp looking build,love the camo job.I agree it was a great little kit,I wasn't as brave and did mine in the overall gray scheme.Again nice job.

Thanks a lot. Yeah it is a good looking camo...In my opinion the more intricate the camo the more fun 😀. When doing a monotone one, you can always do some colour variations from panel to panel, shading, gradiations, modulation etc.

9 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Looks Great! Very nice job.

Thank you 👍

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Extremely neat Draken, with a marvellously silky finish. Impressive modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, Happy you like it!  (PS. good name mate...I'm in the middle of a project of a subject piloted by someone that has your name 😉)

6 hours ago, zhizhou said:

That is a cracking Drakken, nice to see it wearing Finnish markings too.  A great model. 

Zhizhou

Thank you very much Zhizhou. Yeah, I don't think I have any other kit with Finnish marking...🤔

3 hours ago, Paramedic said:

I love the Drakens and you did a really good job here! Nice to see a Finnish one too. :)

Great kite!

Thank you! it does look like a kite! yeah. 😁

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Outstanding work!  The finish and weathering in particular are superb - well done

Thanks a lot... glad you like it!

2 hours ago, EDCS87 said:

Mate, this is mind-bogglingly good work! I am working on this kit's little 72nd scale brother and I could only dream of matching the tasteful finish of this paintwork and details 👏. The work with the flaps is just beautiful, it looks like a kit provided option!

Hi mate, thank you so much! The work with the flaps and scratch was actually not that difficult to do... Just pieces of styrene cut in a triangular shape and I use a pin vise for the circular holes. The rest is just usual fitting and sanding. Give it a go. Those little extra details gives a lot of interest to look at. 

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Very nice result!!

:partytime:

! T h a n k Y o u !

35 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks 👍

10 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Very well done, looks great.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, PhantomLover said:

Absolutely wonderful! Love the Draken and you really made the most of it!

Thanks a lot. I remember it was a fun build. 😀

4 hours ago, chris148 said:

Love a good draken and thats a cracker

That's great! Happy you like it. 👍