"Lady du Pont" Laker BAC 1-11 in 1/144 - another Airfix update

I remember building one of these in my teens and couldn't help feeling disappointed that it just didn't seem to look like the 1-11s

I used to see at the airport (in those days I just built what was in the box and trusted it all to be right).

Yours completely nails the look that I remember of the 1-11 though, with that sharp looking nose and the cockpit glass just looks so right.

A real pleasure to look at. Superb.

• Like 1

Thanks for your generous comments @bobsyouruncle.

Airfix based their kit on the 1-11 prototype and actually made a pretty decent job of it. Unfortunately the production aircraft looked significantly different with its pointed radome, relocated wing fences and a few other things. It's a pity Airfix were in such a hurry to issue the kit but it isn't difficult to make the necessary changes especially if you "cheat" by using resin and brass parts like I did!

Dave G

• Like 1

Lovely job there, just goes to show what can be done with an old Airfix classic in a skilled pair of hands, Marvellous !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael. 

• Like 1