Revell 1/72 Hawk T.1 Group build chat

Surprise GB with Sponsorship, This year!!! Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. This is the poll for the Surprise GB with Sponsorship, This year!!! GB with the name to be confirmed. Here we will have the vote for the choice of kit to be built. I've had to start a new topic as I can't seem to be able to add a poll to the existing post,

• Revell 1/72 Hawk T1
    • Airfix 1/72 P-40

This poll is closed to new votes

Looking at the Jadlam website, may I offer another suggestion for consideration? The Airfix Vampire T11?  Lots of colour schemes available. Camouflaged or high speed silver.  Colourful or toned down.  Lots of UK schemes and plenty of overseas users.  It’s a nice kit (I know I’ve built 3 and have another 2 on the shelf of doom) and for less that £15!!

If not acceptable, count me in for another Airfix Hawk vote, whether T1 &/or 100 series.

• Like 3

Some random and purely personal thoughts on a kit choice...

P-51 Mustang - nah, we've done that one already.

BAe Hawk - plenty operators and a wide variety of schemes but can we please use the better Revell kit? :pray: The Airfix one still annoys me with its faults every time I look at the one in my display cabinet.

Spitfire - plenty marking and colour-scheme choices: particularly if we're going with any kits from, for instance, the 1/72nd scale Airfix range to open up the field a bit. While the Mk.I/II/V will most likely be popular the IX, XVI, XIX, and 22 are also options this way along with anything using these basis for a conversion.

Tiger Moth - another one with plenty colour schemes but the fact it's a biplane will put some folk off.

1 hour ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Looking at the Jadlam website, may I offer another suggestion for consideration? The Airfix Vampire T11?  Lots of colour schemes available.

I suggested that one also, as well as the Jet provost. But you're the only one thinking the same. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I suggested that one also, as well as the Jet provost. But you're the only one thinking the same. 

I have an Airfix 1/72 Provost in my stash.  I also have a Spitfire Mk.1a.  I've wanted a Vampire too, so I'm good with any of these.  I'd even give the Tiger Moth a go, as I've never built a biplane.  Tbh, nobody has suggested anything I wouldn't try so far.

Provost, Vampire, Hawk, Dune Buggy (whoever suggested that 👍), Tiger Moth, all good for me.

Ok - had a look this morning and have a few suggestions. Some of them are quite out there - but just throwing ideas around to see if anything sticks. 

Revell Beetle 1/32 - £10

Bargain, think bright random colour schemes?

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-beetle-kafer-1-32-car-model-kit-07681/

Revell Samba Bus 1/24 - £19

Classic, similar to the above. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-t1-samba-bus-1-24-model-kit-07399/

Revell Land Rover Defender 1/24 - £19

Can be finished in any colour - great opportunity for weathering/mud!

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-land-rover-series-iii-1-24-car-model-kit-07047/

Revell Hawk 1/72 - £10

Various as you know. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-04970-bae-hawk-t-1-1-72-plastic-model-kit/

Revell Chinook 1/72 - £15

Out there, doubt many of you have built a chinook! Limited liveries, but a different build. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-mh-47-chinook-1-72-helicopter-model-kit/

Airfix Hawker Siddley Dominie 1/72 £10

Very good seller at the moment, basic decals so all down to the paint job and weathering. You could make a giant weird Red Arrow? White like a modern civ jet? Think there was even a black version too? 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/airfix-a03009v-hawker-siddeley-dominie-t-1-1-72-aircraft-model-kit/

Interested to see how this develops - it would be nice to do something outside of the box. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would be content with the Airfix JP too, for personal reasons, and I have a 3 and a 5 in the stash. 

And Spitfires are definitely in, although there are so many options in 1/72 it might be difficult to settle on one mark, one kit. I do need to build a Mk 1 and convert it to a PR 1 D for a different project though 😇

2 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I would be content with the Airfix JP too, for personal reasons, and I have a 3 and a 5 in the stash. 

And Spitfires are definitely in, although there are so many options in 1/72 it might be difficult to settle on one mark, one kit. I do need to build a Mk 1 and convert it to a PR 1 D for a different project though 😇

Id really like to see something other than a Spitfire if possible...

I grabbed this Airfix Hawker Siddley Dominie off the shelf earlier and had a look, I might even build one myself - Thinking a wacky easyjet paint job or something!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I'm very interested in that too.

I've just tried to find extra decal options and could find none  apart from discontinued ones for the dominie 

Skimmed through the 1/72 airplanes at Jadlam. Considering the variety of possible liveries, the following stood out to me: Airfix: Stuka, Bf109, Fw190, P-40. Especially the P-40 with several boxings available. Italeri Corsairs are also plentiful, but the Falco may be too niche (one can dream, yes?).

2 hours ago, JadlamRacingModels said:

Thinking a wacky easyjet paint job or something!!

The Dominie would certainly get my vote, largish canvas for a variety of weird Whif's - Historic - BEA? a mini Air Force One? etc... I certainly have an idea of how mine might turn out.

• Like 1

I've come up with a set of rules for the GB for when the Subject is decided. I'm going to list these below. 

* GB will run for six weeks from the 31st of October to the 14th of December.

* This GB will be based on the (Kit once chosen)

* After marker parts and decals are all permitted

* With the aim of the GB being creative we will allow "what Ifs"  The reason for this is to allow the builder some creative licence. Something we didn't permit in the last GB but want to add to this one.

* The GB is going to be sponsored by Jadlam Racing Models who will be providing a prize of which is TBC.

* Anyone that requires the kit that we are building can order the kit directly from Jadlam at a discounted price

* The voting system will not be in place and instead the sponsor will be choosing the winning build/s

This is a rough set up but provisional and subject to change

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JadlamRacingModels said:

This one gets my vote. There's a lot of options for various Hawk operators around the world and the kit is good value for money that looks to be an easy project within the more limited than usual GB timescale.

• Like 1

Hawk, Dominie or Chinook would all get my vote. Out of those three only the Hawk is readily available here but if it's one of the other two I'll order it from Jadlam and if it gets here in time it gets here in time! Of the ones others have suggested, the Airfix JP, Vampire or Hawk 100 would be pretty good too.

If it was the Dominie I think I'd convert it to a HS125 series 3 in Qantas colours. I think the Hawk would be in Saudi display team colours. Will have to think about the Chinook - Australian army perhaps.

I’d be interested in joining in.  Most of the suggestions so far float my boat, though I’d be hesitant on the 1:72 Moth as the last one fought me all the way and then had the lights fall on it before I managed to photo it.

OK. I think we've had enough suggestions now, so tonight or tomorrow morning I'll get the poll up for the choice on kit. The poll will be quite short in order to give people time to sort out the kit and any aftermarket they need. 

• Like 3

Hi guys, this is the poll for the Surprise GB with Sponsorship, This year!!! sponsored by Jadlam Racing models. 

I've had to start a new topic as I can't add the poll to the original post. 

Edited by thepureness
  • Like 1