'Pibber' by Tamiya

I've never built a boat kit of this scale, but it looks like fun, and a bit of a departure from AFV's and Aircraft.

The only ship/boat I've attempted was the Revell/Matchbox Flower Class Corvette,"Snowberry". I started to build the Corvette (many many 30+ years ago) using lots of PE and CA, but developed an allergic reaction to the CA so I've not touched it since. Perhaps now that I know about quick set epoxy, PVA and UV glues, I might start again. Mind you I'll need a bigger bench. And I still can't go anywhere near CA.

Anyway here's my start of the 'Pibber' to which I'll add some PE and if any of you boat builders have any advice, it will be more than welcome, I'm a bit out of my comfort zone here.

Jon.

p?i=1a33bcae9b3da5307bc976c5ac61566a

p?i=9cfaa95154a223061c3c636108286d06

p?i=10da02d9c052a80e87a3c7819d4c871f

• Like 3

Hi Jon welcome to the Maritime Zone. Feel free to ask any questions there are some really helpful guys on here.

I made a start on this kit but for reasons I can't remember never completed it. It dates from the Photobucket Hijack days but you can still make out some of the details. If there is anything in particular you need I'll try and find the original pics

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985953-tamiya-135-pbr/

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

I built one of these earlier this year with the PE and I have some posts on the ATF in my WIP thread there. From what I recall about the build (which was one of the most enjoyable I have done), it was straightforward but I did change the assembly order at the stern where the deck/gunwhales part (E1) is shown being fitted to the hull before panels A45 and A46 are added. I fitted A45 and A46 first so that I could ensure that they fitted well before glueing E1 to the hull.

spacer.png

More pictures of my completed build here.

Dave

• Like 4

I can't remember the exact colour but I used either Humbrol Clear Enamel Orange (1322) or Humbrol Clear Enamel Red (1321). BTW, I also used that for the top mast light:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bit more progress, I'm going to have to spray the rest of the hull and deck soon.

I did the lights by painting clear colour over a coat of silver, I think it makes them look more like glass covers.

Jon.

p?i=a291909044eaa5a110ef1d7d7c4e5937

p?i=a329df35b0226bb2b9d3346a96a1f438

p?i=e1be925f8e4512041ff5055bff9e1b51

p?i=5e4160ae64c62b306577099dbf94a24b

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Bit more done, hull and deck painted and front turret finished. I dislike little people in kits, so that is why they are not here. 

Dry fitted the bridge and turret, looks ok. I might try and fit a couple of lengths of wire to the two aerial bases in front of the steering position later./

Jon.

p?i=fde17e83b95c0d67f9d6986d1cbcf8ab

• Like 2

Added the accessories, before putting on the canopy.

Looking at these, I think I should have stood one of the beer bottles up, ah well, too late now.

Jon.

p?i=339300a6ac202af8a510c5ece34cf8d3

p?i=37265b1b1555f4cab0247489580d3432

p?i=6247c7431ded15efe6e22085369bbc61

p?i=483707aff9b3ee960ecc189474fd393c

p?i=c9b2568e536e8f537d91f7abe7d6be30

Edited by Faraway
text
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Looking at these, I think I should have stood one of the beer bottles up, ah well, too late now.

Gidday Jon, never too late, just add more beer bottles. And while you're at it, a couple of pin-ups on the bulkheads for that 'lived-in look' 😀. That aside, it's looking very good. Regards, Jeff.

10 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, Actually I had Mary Poppins in mind (😜), but ultimately it's Jon's choice. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

I searched high and low for some suitable Mary Poppins pictures but couldn't find any, Jeff. I don't recall any topless scenes in the film.

11 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@davecov where d’you get the posters ?

I just Googled Playboy Playmates and found Lisa Baker was a popular one. I downloaded a couple of pics, reduced them in size and printed them off on ordinary printer paper.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davecov said:

I searched high and low for some suitable Mary Poppins pictures but couldn't find any, Jeff. I don't recall any topless scenes in the film

😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davecov said:

I just Googled Playboy Playmates and found Lisa Baker was a popular one. I downloaded a couple of pics, reduced them in size and printed them off on ordinary printer paper

I’ll have a look

Jon

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, Faraway said:

I dislike little people in kits, so that is why they are not here. 

Surely there's room for the Chief, Chef, Mr Clean and Captain Willard? 🙂

I've long planned to build one of these. Ever since the film. Yours looks really good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecov said:

I searched high and low for some suitable Mary Poppins pictures but couldn't find any, Jeff. I don't recall any topless scenes in the film.

You're looking for the wrong film. Miss Andrews was topless in Victor Victoria! 

1 hour ago, davecov said:

I don't recall any topless scenes in the film.

Gidday, probably just as well, considering the age I was when I first saw it (and my kids a generation later). I guess Jon will have to settle for the more traditional Playboy Bunnies. I'm looking forward to seeing his selection. And more nautical progress (the boat itself 🙂). Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That picture looks like me in my posing briefs showing off my moobs.

Nice build, look forward to seeing the rest of the pics.

Dave

• Haha 3