MG Hyaku Shiki 2.0

17 hours ago, Soeren said:

Violett on Gold. Strange, but it looks great.

It is a bit weird. I tried red-brown at first but it wasn't dark enough so at some angles it was brighter than the surface. Then I remembered that I'd liked the violet shading on these models:

38245879686_932f7508fb_b.jpg

It's a bit more subtle there as I did the pin wash-type shading with a brown though, the violet is misted on from below. For the Gundam I liked how it started to look and went all in, hoping to get that "magic space metal" feeling like on the cover.

16 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

Do you think it might need some larger tarnished patches in addition to the chipping? Maybe something like Seraphim Sepia sprayed through the PE grunge mask?

I have been asking myself similar questions. I quite like the way the quality of the original finish is preserved until you look closely, but at the moment there's not much large scale structure to it and some tarnish (maybe on the ground-facing surfaces) would help with that. Could also spray something glossy or clear flat to get variation without adding another colour.

I would have to be careful with the etched mask on the surface as well, don't want to scratch it up.

In short, not sure!

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Perhaps the skirt is more chipped due to debris kicked up by the thrusters?

That makes sense to me :) I'll add some soot when the backpack is in place which might help sell the story.

Cheers all,

Will

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

the shadows of the sword are really nicely done, the MS is look nice as well. 

They're Age of Sigmar from the first Warhammer Underworlds set. And the shadows are a massive cheat - I got a crappy finish on the sword with metallic paint so rubbed graphite powder into it and burnished it up. So they're real reflections :)

I quite like the Stormcast models but haven't painted nearly enough of them...

Cheers,

Will

• Haha 1