Star Trek Galileo Shuttle Craft

Greetings,

My first ever Star Trek model.   I vividly remember watching the television debut as a lad ( I was 7 years old in 1966), but in the subsequent decades never built a Star Trek model!  Well. never too late to do one now.  The new Galileo shuttle craft from Polar Lights is very well engineered and comes together so very nicely.  One of the best styrene kits I have ever encountered.  Attention to detail and parts fit is superb. 

I wanted to build this kit with plenty of lights and a display base that included buttons, graphics and lighting using something that I have had laying around for years.  Please note that I am not a Star Trek expert in any way and there are probably many glaring aspects of this build that are probably "just not right", but I decided to do this my way and just enjoy the kit.  So, this is where I am currently in the build - about 80% completed . . . . .

spacer.png

This is where it all started - with a steel front panel from some old piece of computer hardware that caught my eye as a potential display base many years ago . . . .

spacer.png

This then began my first model adventure into the world of Star Trek.  Following are some images of how I went about this challenge...

Cutting a wire channel into the nacelle supports for the lighting...

spacer.png

Modifications to the nacelles for lighting . . .

spacer.png

A closer view . . .

spacer.png

Nacelle domes misted white on the inside and dry fitted . . .

spacer.png

Nacelle lighting test - they actually look a bit more greenish.  Never lighted in the original TV series, I just could not put an LED in these . . . 

spacer.png

Rear impulse engine light blocking box and secret L.E.G.O. interior light stand fixture . . . .

spacer.png

Light test of the impulse engine - bright white LEDS with blue lenses . . .

spacer.png

Another view . . .

spacer.png

Modified kit forward head lights . . .

spacer.png

Light test . . .

spacer.png

Styrene added around hatch to block light leaks . . .

spacer.png

Secret L.E.G.O. interior light stand in place . . .

spacer.png

Impulse engine light box in place. . .

spacer.png

That's all for now, much more coming soon.  Your questions and comments are always welcome.  Many thanks for having a look.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

Moving forward on this build . . .

Underside view of the repurposed computer panel display base showing some added styrene alignment pieces . . . 

spacer.png

Another view . .

spacer.png

Fresh coat of paint . . . .

spacer.png

Hole drilled in back side of base to accept power jack.  All lighting is powered by converter with 120 volt input and 3 volt 1 amp output. . .

spacer.png

Number 1 lighting circuit for graphics transparencies showing light box . . . .

spacer.png

Transparency "sandwich" on light box.  Graphics are from internet, printed on ink jet clear transparency film placed between plexiglass top cover and a very thin sytrene sheet bottom for light diffusion . . . 

spacer.png

Graphics sandwich test fitted to display base . . .

spacer.png

Underside view showing graphics light box in place . . .

spacer.png

Circuit number 2 for blue indirect lighting of the landing bay grill area . . .

spacer.png

Underside view showing blue lights in place . . .

spacer.png

Circuit number 3 providing power to the shuttle lighting . . .

spacer.png

More to come . . . .

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Detail on the lighting circuits. . . .

spacer.png

Push buttons are latch type with green LED.   In the unlatched position all three blink when power is applied.  As soon as one is depressed to the "on" position all three go to a constant light.  Power to the LED's is 3 volts, but each circuit includes a resistor.  Snap connectors are used at critical points in the wiring to allow for ease of replacement.  Circuit 1 includes 1 lighted switch, 10 bright white LED lights and 1 indicator LED.  Circuit 2 has a lighted switch, 12 blue LED bulbs and 1 indicator LED.  Circuit 3 has a lighted witch and 10 bright white LED lights, no indicator LED.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 7

The large graphic of the shuttle internal schematic is from the internet.  Very hard to read the tiny print in one corner, but I think the person that developed it is Alexander Richardson so I want to give him credit and thank this person for making the graphic available on the internet.  A note on printing ink jet transparencies - Once printed, they scratch very easily.  In hindsight, I probably should have sprayed a clear gloss coat on the printed side to seal and protect the ink.  Too late now, the "sandwich" is complete and in place. . . .

Bill

• Like 2

Tamiya spray paints were used for everything except the rear landing strut which I hand painted in a gold colour (still needs some chrome silver details).  The Tamiya rattle can paints are excellent and provide a nice even finish.  Much discussion about which colours are correct for this kit, I selected what looked right to me and am satisfied.  Tamiya clear flat used to frost the inside of the windscreen and hatch windows to provide light diffusion of the interior lighting.  Need to make final wiring connections and assemble the major components followed by clear gloss, decals and flat clear coat to complete the shuttle. 

Some images of the shuttle construction work . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 5

Nacelle to hull support structures now fitted in place.  Wiring runs inside the support structures in channels carefully cut into the inside face of the parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many thanks for having a look!

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 8

Nacelles now glued in place.  Final wiring done.  Gloss clear coat sprayed then set aside to dry overnight.  Decals applied today and will let these set until tomorrow before spraying final flat clear coat.  Attach remaining parts along with roof section and done!  Kit decals are excellent!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

Looks fantastic!

I especially like your use of Lego to support the lighting too.

I may just have to pinch that idea when I come to sort the lighting out on my Enterprise D build. :)

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 7:05 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Looks fantastic!

I especially like your use of Lego to support the lighting too.

I may just have to pinch that idea when I come to sort the lighting out on my Enterprise D build. :)

Many thanks!   Lego are great for things like this . . . .

Bill

• Thanks 1

Almost complete now.   Rear landing strut and a small adjustment to the display base and then done!  I did not like how the paint dried on the landing strut and decided to clean it up and repaint.  So, here are the final work in progress photos .   Apologies for the quality on some of the low light images., I was trying to show the lighting.  This is a great kit, well designed, excellent fit and impressive at 1/32 scale.

Thanks for having a look!

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Really great work with the lighting that looks fantastic! 👍

Thanks!  The computer panel as a base really made the lighting possible, especially with the push button switches.

8 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Beautiful !!! Good job.

Andrés S.

Many thanks for having a look and commenting - this is really a great kit that goes together so very well.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 8:11 PM, Jeddahbill said:

My Macaw Overlord has inspected and approved this kit for completion

He is a beautiful, how old is he. I have a evil half plucked grey that will kill anyone or anything that goes near it apart from me, I've had her for 20+ years so couldn't get rid. 

Nice build as well, very cool lighting. 

• Haha 1