1/48 Phantom FG.1 Crew

John B

Does anyone know of a 1/48 figure set appropriate for the Phantom FG 1 when operated by the Royal Navy? The crew figures in the Hasegawa/ Revell of Germany Phantom FGR 2 appear to be the "standard" crew figures that Hasegawa used in all of their other Phantom releases.

11 hours ago, xvtonker said:

I don't want to be seen being picky, but RN pilots would have, and still do, wear immersion suits over their flying suits. As do all aircrew of all services when operating over water.

As someone with 2,500 hours as a RN Pilot, I’d never have spotted that...

It depends on how you want to depict them, I guess.  If you can spot the fact that my Vixen pilot isn’t actually wearing a goon bag, when all you can see is his head through the canopy... then frankly you need to get out more.  

If you’re planning to depict them standing next to the aircraft, then you might have a point.  Or of course you could simply do some modelling and adapt an existing figure?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone and fair points taken.

I see different options -

1) Model with crew figures in cockpit with canopies closed.

2) Model with crew figures in cockpit with canopies open.

3) Model with crew outside cockpit.

With the first 2 options, the figures would only be easily observed from the chest up.  In that case, the proper helmet, anything on shoulders, anything on upper arms and the oxygen mask would be the items of interest to me.

With the third option, the full kit would be the visible.

Using the path of "least modelling effort", the first option would be the obvious choice.   In that case, I need to find the appropriate "donor" figures for helmets, oxygen mask, etc.

Can anyone double-check my reasoning on this approach?   Are there any problems I'm not forseeing?

• Like 1