Thanks, Rob and Craig.

I thought the yellow would be difficult to mask because the Xtra Decal diagrams show it going up to the booms. 

Turns out somebody was asleep at the wheel (including me) because as is clear from the historic photo posted above, the yellow bits only extend in as far as the ends of the ailerons.

The eagle eyed will notice the different shade of OD on the inner panel. Guess who wasted a bunch of time masking around the booms at first. 😕;)

no worries though. Filters will tie the colors together in interesting ways.

PXL-20201025-165945306.jpg

Just need to paint the gear wells now. Not sure if zinc chromate or silver lacquer?

• Like 8

Nice job on the yellow.

Xtradecal are well known for making the odd faux pas, in fact they do it a lot, so it is always best to check your own references before believing what they tell you.

I believe the wheel wells on camouflaged aircraft were painted neutral grey with the structural supports in ZYC.

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice job on the yellow.

Xtradecal are well known for making the odd faux pas, in fact they do it a lot, so it is always best to check your own references before believing what they tell you.

I believe the wheel wells on camouflaged aircraft were painted neutral grey with the structural supports in ZYC.

I heard that as a general rule of thumb, but I'm not sure in this case. Check out the photo of BOOH at the link below. The nose gear leg is clearly aluminum. I'd say the hinge on the nose gear door is as well. Hard to tell with the main gear doors, but they look like a lighter color than the gray undersides. My guess is aluminum lacquer.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/lockheed-p-38-lightning.42268/page-8

I'm not sure when this airframe was built, but the pre 1943 production aircraft at Lockheed typically received an aluminum lacquer inside their bays. - so it's possible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks absolutely superb, some great weathering there that really captures the sun bleached look of aircraft serving in the MTO. Looking forward to the exhaust staining later.

Thanks, Craig. 

I'm having trouble coming up with an effective way of simulating the heavy staining

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Thanks, Craig. 

I'm having trouble coming up with an effective way of simulating the heavy staining

The exhaust staining on your Skyraider was superb, something like that would work very well I would have thought.

I did the staining on my Skyraider using the airbrush and very thin paint, I start with a dark grey and then mix in a little red/brown and finally some light grey, painting each colour in turn. I have just done the same on my Trojan which I am just about to post pics of.

Hi SoftScience. Hope you and yours are keeping well. I was just wondering if you had made any more progress with this one? It was looking superb last time seen!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi SoftScience. Hope you and yours are keeping well. I was just wondering if you had made any more progress with this one? It was looking superb last time seen!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi, Stix.

Sorry about the delayed reply. I lost track of this thread and build. Yesterday I decided to see of I can wrap this model up before the end of the year. There isn't much left to do, but most of it is tedious.

I got the wheels and props painted and will do some touching up and weathering on them tomorrow evening.

The drop tanks just need some decals and dings and things.

PXL-20201221-014916497.jpg

• Like 4

Merry Christmas everyone. This lightning is DONE!

I don't think I've ever finished two projects for a single GB before. Often i don't even finish one :)

but here it is. There are more pictures in the gallery.

PXL_20201226_035637435-XL.jpg

PXL_20201226_035632644-XL.jpg

PXL_20201226_035549667-XL.jpg

Thanks for watching. Here's to more great GBs in the future.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...