Hi all.

After a series of frustrating days at work, I decided to do some retail therapy and purchased Tamiya's excellent P-38F. I also ordered some decals to build Capt. James Hagenback's plane he flew in late 1943 while commanding the 94th FS in Sardinia.

preview10.jpg

This is probably as colorful as the P-38F gets, with the yellow wings and all. 

I'm not going to waste anybody's time (including my own with sprue shots and will just launch right into the build, shortly. But needles to say, the kit looks excellent!

• Like 9

Another night, another boom. 

They still need a few details around the intakes, but are generally done. I also built the main landing gear. I had no idea the lightning had such a complex radiator system attached to the landing gear.

IMG_20201002_234136.jpg

I also thought this was pretty clever. Tamiya gives you ball bearing that fit in little cups inside the front of the booms. No guess work on where to put weight.

IMG_20201002_215748.jpg

• Like 14

Glad to share, John.

Didn't do much with this, over the weekend. I added the last bits to the intakes on the booms (not pictured) and began working on the front landing gear/cockpit pod assembly.

Its all centered around this clever spar to keep everything in line.

IMG-20201004-172608.jpg

Here is a quick shot of the bay.

IMG-20201004-172623.jpg

Work on the cockpit is next!

• Like 13

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I'm beginning to want one of these even more now, looks like a really well engineered kit and you're doing a great job on her.

It's utterly brilliant engineering. My great hope is that Tamiya pantographs it down to 1/72, as I'd like to have a few examples.

But knowing Tamiya, they'll pass on any great opportunity to fill a gaping hole in the 72nd scale market:/

• Like 2

On 05/10/2020 at 14:06, SoftScience said:

It's utterly brilliant engineering. My great hope is that Tamiya pantographs it down to 1/72, as I'd like to have a few examples.

But knowing Tamiya, they'll pass on any great opportunity to fill a gaping hole in the 72nd scale market:/

Good morning  SoftScience

I really hope that Tamiya will do it .. after all  many of their models exist on both 1/48 and 1/72 scales but God knows how long we'll have to wait.

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.

Some progress from the last few evenings.

My cockpit work is nothing fancy, but I'm happy with it.

IMG-20201008-212027.jpg

I really like the instrument panel.

IMG-20201008-213403.jpg

And just like that the main wing and center pod start to take shape.

IMG-20201008-214208.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

She looks great in that green! I don’t think yellow will be too bad over that to be fair.

the painting of that cockpit is top notch, really like it. And the kit looks fantastic! Almost worth getting even though it’s not 1/72 😃.

Rob