1/72nd scale vacuformed RarePlane Lockheed Vega converted to Dole racer

On 11/10/2020 at 21:37, Courageous said:

How do you 'just find a door'...?

My previous abode was a Victorian era house had been badly hacked around to make three flats, losing lots of original features like doors. At the time (early 90s) lots of people were modernising and throwing out all sorts of stuff. So I always carried a tape measure and checked out skips (US: dumpsters) on my way back from the pub. So the answer in my wife’s case was “when your slightly inebriated husband arrives home carrying a couple of doors he has just pulled out of a skip”. Every door but one in that house was saved from a skip!

Nice racer too. Glad to see some colour going on so we can actually see it ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

My previous abode was a Victorian era house had been badly hacked around to make three flats, losing lots of original features like doors. At the time (early 90s) lots of people were modernising and throwing out all sorts of stuff. So I always carried a tape measure and checked out skips (US: dumpsters) on my way back from the pub. So the answer in my wife’s case was “when your slightly inebriated husband arrives home carrying a couple of doors he has just pulled out of a skip”. Every door but one in that house was saved from a skip!

Nice racer too. Glad to see some colour going on so we can actually see it ;)

Good one, Adrian!

The fuselage halves are joined using -as per the instructions recommendation- acetone:

IMG_2222+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

There is a little bit of a building trap here, a hiccup in the engineering.

The recess on the wing may seem to be there to allow the matching volume on the fuselage to get inside the wing, WHICH IS INCORRECT. Pack the wing so the lower surface stays leveled with the top of that shape on the fuselage.

That shape is there to represent a fairing between the wing an the fuselage present in the real thing, it is NOT a locating device to be pushed into the wing.

IMG_2223+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

The nose plug -from a discarded Northrop Gamma part- is cut to size with the help of a guide to obtain a regular depth:

IMG_2226+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The top cylinder notch is made on the part, to serve as a guide:

IMG_2227+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The location of the other notches marked:

IMG_2228+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Dry-fit:

IMG_2230+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Should look somewhat like this:

IMG_2232+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The nose plug is glued:
IMG_2232b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The horizontal tail is cut in its halves, the angles matched:

IMG_2233+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Metal-pin added and location on roots drilled:

IMG_2234+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 11

It happens even in the best of families.

After a number of dry-fittings I managed to glue the nose piece upside down, that is the the top cylinder aligned with the bottom of the fuselage. Not only did I glue it, I also applied extra superglue for a firmer grip. Then I applied a bead of epoxy internally.

Há! that is an extra-firm joint. I proceeded then to fine-sand the area to obtain a beautiful, seamless transition of volumes.

Only all the way around.

It took a long and expletive-filled time to be able to pry that carefully and finely crafted plug apart from the fuselage, needless to say causing damage to all parts involved.

Such is self-inflicted modeling.

In the process now of slapping myself before I proceed to inconsolably cry, until I bounce back and re-do all the area.

I must, at this point, confess that I have committed this same stupid thing, gluing a clearly cued nose/engine of a model upside-down, several times in the last decade.

And to make matters worse, due to the very recent changes in the Forum, I can't find anymore the button that read "Psychoanalyst on call".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 6

18 hours ago, Moa said:

It happens even in the best of families.

Even in mine...

It was just the other day I had glued a large cylinder head on back to front...

A very dumb mistake...

Remove, make again, make right...

We live and learn...

And no matter how much we learn...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hello, you're through to Dr. Crane. 

What do you want to talk to me about? 

Commiserations Moa, and best of luck with the fix🍀👍💐

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

All the rest of us would never do that, of course...

Hope the repairs go well!

Regards,

Adrian

[edit: I realise now what the transparent fuselage reminds me of: raw squid!]

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Mistakes? Ha:

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Moa I am shocked, no not really it happens to us all fella.  A few therapeutic swear words always help.

Fuselage looking good all together. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Even in mine...

It was just the other day I had glued a large cylinder head on back to front...

A very dumb mistake...

Remove, make again, make right...

We live and learn...

And no matter how much we learn...

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Happens to us all, My collection includes the only Sopwith pup in the world with a left handed leRhone and apparently the fasces on my Caproni Campini are facing the wrong way.

Thanks to you all for the comments and the jokes.

As you may see in the post above, the nose ring piece was re-glued, and so the endeavor continues.

It is a fact that if the good guys win the Middle Earth election and oust Sauron and the freaking orcs from Barad-dûr, no more modeling mistakes will be committed.

• Like 7

I had copied the landing gear legs length from the vac sheet to make new ones. But some modelers' 6th sense kept me looking at them in distrust. I compared them with the kit's plan, and they were too long. Then to all plans I have, and confirmed that indeed they were too long. Thus a bit was cut off. Talk about too proud model stance by default! I guess dear Gordon depicted the legs uncompressed?

Do we have to check everything all the time to obtain a modicum of accuracy?

Do Dodos Dodder as they Doodle?
Meanwhile a spinner is in the making combining leftovers:

IMG_2238+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Moa said:

Do we have to check everything all the time to obtain a modicum of accuracy?

When I was doing my Airfix Storch earlier this year I noted that the “compressed”legs (they gave you two lengths) were still too long!

So yes you do, but I’m sure you know that! Looking fab BTW.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2