1/72nd scale vacuformed RarePlane Lockheed Vega converted to Dole racer

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hey, don't blame me! blame the racer designers!

They are a lovely bunch, and their attraction is difficult to resist...

Good choices all of those!

I couldn't resist to scratch the Ford Flivver in 1/72 and 1/100!:

They are lovely and was very lucky with tge price too so very pleased. Was thinking of starting one soon hmm which one though??? A nice dilemma. 

Chris

• Haha 1

The landing gear braces and wheels are on, as well as the louvers, done trimming down Archer items and applying them one by one:

IMG_2377+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Having read Tim's input, I finally discovered a second, lower step, barely visible in only two of the many photos I found, obscured by shade. Locations for both are drilled:

IMG_2379+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Williams brothers 48th Corban super Ace

48th Ford Flicker

Lindberg 48th Travelair Mystery ship with resin cockpit and engine and aa Howard Ike DGA 5

Well Chris, I spent a little while on the Google Search then, because apart from the Travelair I have no idea! 

Looks very interesting and I do love a Williams kit, and they all chime very nicely with this era 

• Like 2

The circular metal plates added to protect the surface around the steps were painted over. Circular decals are punched to be added. The step should be at the very bottom, not in the middle of them:

IMG_2380+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

One more detail for this specific Vega: the very many vertical leather (reputedly) strips that surrounded the stab-to-fuselage fairings, and allowed a smooth adjustment of that metal part on the fuselage side as the stab incidence was changed, were not present in this plane.

• Like 4

This is turning out very nicely (as to be expected). Sorry if I haven’t been following your current builds very closely — I just moved in to my new house and have been very busy with many domestic distractions. On top of that, my stash and workshop are packed away in a bunch of shipping boxes, and I’m long overdue for a modeling fix & am suffering withdrawal symptoms as a result 😭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

I just moved in to my new house and have been very busy with many domestic distractions. On top of that, my stash and workshop are packed away in a bunch of shipping boxes, and I’m long overdue for a modeling fix & am suffering withdrawal symptoms as a result 

Dear Bill

Sooner than you think you will be feeding that carpet monster again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Moa said:

Dear Bill

Sooner than you think you will be feeding that carpet monster again!

Good news is I was able to have a spare room converted into a workshop (pics to follow). Lots of light and no carpet for the carpet monster!

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Good news is I was able to have a spare room converted into a workshop (pics to follow). Lots of light and no carpet for the carpet monster!

Tremendous!

I wish I could have the same! We share a small office room (a converted small bedroom) with Mrs. Moa, and it's a nightmare!!!!!!

She loves to sneeze, scream, and ask questions exactly when I am trying to do the most delicate work.

When she was still working at the company office it was bad enough here at afternoons or on weekends, but now it's all the time.

Oh, the humanity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

A concrete critter? That's what I've got in my basement room.

Chris

Yeah, I expect I’ll find one in my new place. Probably hitched a ride with my household goods (my last workroom had previously been part of the garage, so the floor was concrete & I know for certain I lost parts to critters hiding in the corners)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Moa said:

Let's not forget the Star Trek silicone creature from The Devil in the Dark, the Horta! 

Not to be confused with other California (almost 100%) silicon creatures, that dwell in Beverly Hills, Orange County and Pacific Palisades! 

P/S: or that brainless creature made of fat, Cheetos and slugs that people want to evict from their white house. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not to be confused with other California (almost 100%) silicon creatures, that dwell in Beverly Hills, Orange County and Pacific Palisades! 

P/S: or that brainless creature made of fat, Cheetos and slugs that people want to evict from their white house. 

This one?

spacer.png

Six more days . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Among my preferred ones! I scratched two!

Hi Moa , gorgeous models, I have already been looking at the top one and have it on Faves so I can refer to it,  as I have with other  Moa master builds , so thank you. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well Chris, I spent a little while on the Google Search then, because apart from the Travelair I have no idea! 

Looks very interesting and I do love a Williams kit, and they all chime very nicely with this era 

Hi Rob

They are very nice kits the Williams Brothers kits and I am looking forward to get cracking on one soon, their 32 racing planes are good too got 3 of those in the stash too  sorry for the thread drift Moa.  

Chris

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

Lots of light and no carpet for the carpet monster!

I hate to break it to you but the carpet monster  doesn’t need a carpet to operate. Which is why I think of it as a teeny tiny dimensional singularity with a taste for small pieces of plastic and socks ( I am after all a man of science) :)

And I still can’t find the undercarriage for my SeaBee sigh, may need to scratch a pair still will probably be better than the kit ones...

Oh and of course the Racer looks superb. So many quirky designs from that era, it’s such a pity that the modern era brings forth so few.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

I followed the kit's demarcation line to remove the cockpit opening, but it resulted to be too large, something I just realized now as I tried to glue the windshield.

A piece of styrene was shaped and glued in place.

It will have to be blended with the surroundings with putty and later sanding, and the area repainted.

Not an easy feat at this stage.

We'll see.

IMG_2408+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

A piece of styrene was shaped and glued in place.

It will have to be blended with the surroundings with putty and sanding, and the area repainted.

Not an easy feat at this stage.

Ouch. But if anyone can, you can.

Of course you could make a diorama of a maintenance scene with a tarpaulin over the offending area. Your choice :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2