1/72nd scale vacuformed RarePlane Lockheed Vega converted to Dole racer

40 minutes ago, Moa said:

I guess dear Gordon depicted the legs uncompressed?

I suppose it could be argued in Gordon's favour, in that there is enough length for the in-flight legs and just a trim is required for the compressed style. 

Cutting a bit off is a lot easier than trying to add length to a shorter one. 

But...... A bit of a mention somewhere would be quite useful. 😎

48 minutes ago, Moa said:

Do Dodos Dodder as they Doodle?

Guess we'll never know, now ‼️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

All the rest of us would never do that, of course...

Well, as it happens, neither did I:

I did not put that nose ring upside down, but the fuselage happened to be inverted, surely a factory issue for which I am very displeased, to say the least.

I had corrected it now as you saw, turning the fuselage right-side up.

The prospect of having to fly to Hawaii inverted all the way...what was Gordon thinking?

I refuse to imagine the poor navigator doing the did aiming at that bucket on what has now become the ceiling...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Re: Mistakes.

Did they not teach you at the monastery that modeling mistakes are but a test of patience to ensure we are worthy of eventually reaching the Big Hobby Shop in the Sky? Or as my wise maternal grandfather, who made picture frames as a hobby, put it: "Measure twice, cut once."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First coat of primer. That clear fuselage continues to be a pain in the tailcone.

It's virtually impossible to see what's going on on that surface as you work on it.

The primer finally revealed that it was split along the seams in two places, but I couldn't tell that -even under close inspection- before the primer:

IMG_2239+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see some paint on Moa, good for your sanity too working on the clear fuselage !!!

Great work as usual fella. 

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Modelers are in a way like the mythical Sisyphus, always almost about to reach completion of a model, when something else goes wrong or still needs to be added.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

good for your sanity too working on the clear fuselage

Oh I don’t know for a while I thought he was having hallucinations :) 

To parephrase Darth Vader I sense a disturbance in your mojo @Moa Might be time for something different and fun ? I know I can get bogged down in my wip from time to time and also what with COVID and the time of year I think we’re all feeling it a bit.

if it’s any consolation I’m on a spending ban and a starting new builds ban at the moment, so I’m pleased to be saving money and clearing out my wip but at the same time sad at letting so many eBay auctions go and not opening new kits :)

That said the Taube, the Seabee, the JI and the Mosquito are very near the door , so maybe I might go for some new projects next month. And my birthday is coming up so I may get some funds released :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Marklo said:

To parephrase Darth Vader I sense a disturbance in your mojo @Moa Might be time for something different and fun ?

Now, this is a disturbance, and how I really react when I am mad at a kit (just change the word "food" for "kit")

(WARNING: even if this a public video in Youtube, there is STRONG LANGUAGE)

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Moa said:

The Vega had a trapdoor for the navigator on the wing close to the trailing edge, and a foldable windshield ahead of it.

At that time, navigators were made of the right stuff, eh?! 

"Just climb out there, Pete, and try to get another sighting on Polaris. And get some of the ice off if you can...." 

Dear old Arthur Whitten-Brown never set foot in an aeroplane again after he climbed out of their Vimy in a Galway peat bog! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

At that time, navigators were made of the right stuff, eh?! 

"Just climb out there, Pete, and try to get another sighting on Polaris. And get some of the ice off if you can...." 

Dear old Arthur Whitten-Brown never set foot in an aeroplane again after he climbed out of their Vimy in a Galway peat bog! 

Brilliant!

Is imagine that the vega will look good under a coat of paint. The more I look at it the more it reminds me of a Roland CII.

I think a Sevesky might wend its way into my racer collection after the Gee Bee (I have a 1/32 kit in the stash that seems to be calling to be built sooner rather than later) and the Bugatti ( my basswood has arrived so this will startup as soon as I can clear the wip a bit more, now if I can find the balsa wing blanks I made for the Caproni I can probably trim them down for this project, but I have a funny feeling that I may have thrown them out :( )

Edited by Marklo

On 10/17/2020 at 2:25 PM, Moa said:

What is modeling but enjoying 5% of the time building and spending another bitter 95% of the time with those seams and boo-boos. 

If I am ever crazy enough to start a magazine devoted to scale modeling it will be called "FineScaleSeams and Boo-Boos." You'll be Contributing Editor.

• Haha 1