1/72nd scale vacuformed RarePlane Lockheed Vega converted to Dole racer

A Golden Eagle is lost at sea

Long time ago I came across photos of the Lockheed Vega "Golden Eagle" that participated in the Dole air race to Hawaii. The plane started, but never arrived, and is presumed by most as having gone down in the Pacific.

The Golden Eagle was the first Vega build, bought by George Hearst, and entered in the Dole race flown by Gordon Scott (navigator) and Jack Frost (pilot).

Whilst some photos show a plane with the 2788 registration and an unusual, early style of curved small windshield and open cockpit, others show a plane as it participated in the race (as also seen in the Dole race start newsreels), with a "V" shaped more common windshield (still open "roof" in the cockpit), the actual legend "Golden Eagle" on the side, NX913 registration, and that -often seen in Lockheed planes- linear "spread array" pattern on the stab.

Both had the early exposed cylinders -no NACA cowl or Townend ring- the triangular vertical tail, and a rather simple, unfaired, landing gear array.

As it happens, after long perusing, reading and browsing, it is clear that the two are one and the same, with the registration changed.

The color of the plane is given in one source as bright yellow. The diverse characters on the plane are certainly not black, and in fact are almost the same tonal value as the airframe color, confirming the red "trim" stated by many accounts. Yet another source (an article by Serge Pozzoli) reports orange-gold and red trim, and that would be indeed my choice, as it closely honors the name of the plane. The book Lockheed Aircraft since 1913 by R. Francillon states orange and red, and again, I think that "orange" stands for a golden paint.  The plane had large signs on the sides, almost invisible in all but two of the images I have, that play a bit on the logo of the San Francisco Examiner (the sponsor) but adding "Golden Eagle" split to each side of it. The tail has an early Lockheed star logo with the word Vega in it, and the lettering Lockheed bellow it.

As per details: a whole new interior has to be provided (fortunately I found a diagram). The Vega 1 was conceived as a four-seater, but for the race two fuel tanks were located ahead in the cabin, leaving a crawling space on top, and a navigator station was created with instruments, seat, a space for provisions, emergency equipment, radio, etc. An earth-inductor compass was part of the equipment, its mast with spinning windmill on the fuselage spine.

A hatch for a cut-out was provided for the navigator on the cabin roof and a foldable windshield ahead of it on the wing.

Opposite to what will be seen on successive models, the ailerons did not have a compensating mass, thus the ailerons leading edges were a simple straight business.

These early Vegas, as mentioned, had a triangular vertical tail, a door that hinged upwards, located ahead of what will be the norm in later models, and only four windows per side.

As many of you know, there is a 1/72 kit by MPM readily available -which I have in the stash- but also an old and venerable vac by Gordon Stevens of RarePlane fame. I had the good fortune of corresponding with him before his passing, at a time when I was building some of his kits. We had our good chats, as he was an affable, kind and knowledgeable gentleman, and I hope he may be looking from a cloud now and smiling, since I have chosen his kit for this build.

This kit is peculiar in the sense that the fuselage (and all the interior parts and engine) are vacuum-formed in a thick clear plastic, whilst flying surfaces and other small details come in the usual white styrene sheets. No decals were included in these kits, and many of the details like engine, prop, wheels, struts and other smallish parts are better substituted. Gordon included those additional parts in the clear sheet most likely to take advantage of the space, but it's not a happy solution. I have built in another life his Bell Airacuda, similarly fashioned, and that engineering solution, that may sound practical at first, ends up being not much so, for diverse reasons.

As the vac kit represents a later Vega, I will have to remove the nose NACA cowling and vertical tail, and replace them with pointy nose and triangular tail: I will have also to move the cabin door one "space" ahead, delete the aft fifth windows on both sides and replace the wheel pants-cum-partial wheel for just plain whole wheels. Landing gear struts need to be fabricated, new engine provided and a different interior fashioned.

And, of course, the decals.

A hefty amount of time, more than many would deem reasonable, was spent researching the many details of this plane, and lately I solved the last detail mentioned, that is, the particular details of the lettering and decoration on the plane, all from few, vague, and not very yielding images, gathered one or a few at a time, after hours and hours of perusing and browsing here and there.

The vintage boxing

IMG_1882+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A spurious 1/48 AMT decal sheet was put inside by a previous owner:

IMG_1883+%25281280x953%2529.jpg

Instructions...

IMG_1885+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Plastic

IMG_1886+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A not very practical approach, but may have seemed "high-tech" at the time:

IMG_1887+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The door and windows are there, although I will have to change some of that:

IMG_1888+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 20

Spares bin and scratched parts to the rescue:

IMG_1891+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I molded a cover for the engine:

IMG_1893+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1894+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A William Bros Northrop Gamma nose will be used to obtain the right shape for this variant:

IMG_1895+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

LG legs fabricated from Contrail airfoiled stock (please, someone MAKE MORE AND SELL IT! I am up to my last bits) wrapped in aluminium for the sliding section and metal-pinned:

IMG_1896+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 26

Oooooo this looks very interesting Moa.  Great backround and start  too.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Sorry to disappoint, Dennis, but the trip to Hawaii was very long, and needs must.
I already am making the... ahem... proverbial bucket. 

Imagine throwing out the contents and getting that wrong what with the prop wash !!!

Chris

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Such an unusual plane and such a usual choice from @Moa👏
It’s a very interesting story and I’m sure that the build will be exciting. Happy modelling!

Thanks Nikolay!

I am really eager to continue with this one, after I give the last touches to the DH60s and the Ford.

Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this looks very interesting Moa.  Great backround and start  too.

Imagine throwing out the contents and getting that wrong what with the prop wash !!!

Chris

Now, during such a long flight (It takes us about 6 hours to get from LA to Kauai, and in a jet going many times the speed of the Vega!) how did the pilot manage? the navigator had it easy (Dennis, avert your eyes) as it's a simple matter of having a can handy, but the pilot?

Unless they exchanged positions, but that's hardly doable in such confined quarters!

(Such scholarly conversations, n'est pas?)

8 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Once again interesting subject. I will follow this.

Thanks Vesa, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Cheers

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Not one but two 'vacs' on the go, puts me to shame. Still, I'm sure I'll catch some tips along the way. You may very well finish this before I finish mine. Carry on good sir.

Stuart

Stuart, you are fine. I still have plenty to do with the three models I have on the board needing their last details, photos, text, etc.

It may take a day (or even two!) to build these two vacs :christmas::drunk::mental:

:waiting:

• Haha 5

The parts form the clear and opaque plastic backing sheets have been excised, following the traditional methods of the Shaolin Modeling Monastery (following the edges with a permanent marker for ulterior reference, score with a blade, and flexing back and forth to free the parts:):

IMG_2059+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The wheel pants will go the spares bin. Scraps are kept to create parts or (in the case of the clear plastic) try different adhesives:

IMG_2060+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

Where do you find the time?? Already finished the Tri-Motor and started on this while still working on the F.32 after completing the Taube. I'm starting to believe that there are at least 3 of you.

By the way, acetone will weld the clear parts of this kit to each other. In a pinch, I suppose you could use your wife's fingernail polish remover, if it contains acetone.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Where do you find the time??

What is time, but a river that feeds on itself.

Already finished the Tri-Motor and started on this while still working on the F.32 after completing the Taube.

Let's not forget the two DH60s I just completed, pleezz.

By the way, acetone will weld the clear parts of this kit to each other.

I know, it's in the instructions, and that's exactly how I glued his Bell Airacuda that has the same clear parts. But thanks for kindly providing the information.

I'm starting to believe that there are at least 3 of you.

I am legion.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Moa said:

What is time, but a river that feeds on itself.

Let's not forget the two DH60s I just completed, pleezz.

I know, it's in the instructions, and that's exactly how I glued his Bell Airacuda that has the same clear parts. But thanks for kindly providing the information.

I am legion.

My River of Time seems to always silt up once it nears the coast! And my apologies for overlooking (1) your two DH 60s and (2) the mention of acetone in the Rareplanes instructions. That’s exactly where I learned about it, but I completely forgot until you reminded me. I should have realized that such would be common knowledge by now. And yes, you are (legion, that is)! 😄

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

In order not spend the rest of the year sanding, it's better to use rasps to eliminate surplus thickness.

1) Eliminate as much as you can

2) Do not eliminate more than you need

IMG_2103a+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2103b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Trailing edge before (to the left) and after:

IMG_2103c+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The cowl is not necessary for this version, so it's separated:

IMG_2104+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The parts included in the clear backing sheet, clearly not the best move, as you can't see a darn thing. In any case, all will be replaced for better items:
IMG_2105+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

That canopy is going next, as this plane had a windshield and open "roof":
IMG_2106+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

"For you are many."

It's the only explanation for the amazing amount of work you produce to leave us all reaching for the thesaurus when you post in the RFI!

Eagerly watching :popcorn:

I have been working on several in parallel for months, but happened to complete them more or less at the same time, hence the "effect" of speed.

(I just say those things to put the minds of fellow modelers at ease)

• Like 2